• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just to say hello again after a long while

Cem_Usakligil

Hi folks,

As some of you (may) have noticed I have been absent for a while now.
This is just to let you know that all is well with me. I have been to Istanbul on a short trip this week.
As you can imagine I took many pictures, time permitting. Although nothing special, I'd like to share
this pano of the old peninsula of Istanbul as seen from the top of the Galata Tower. It shows many
interesting places such as the Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Halic Bridge,
Golden Horn, etc. The original is 20000x5000 pixels in size, consisting of 13 handheld,
portrait orientation shots taken with a 5DII and a 70-200L 2.8 IS lens.
Stitched using PTGui Pro (mercator projection).
Enjoy :) (sorry about the width, I could not reduce it to a smaller size than this)

ist_pano_1_final.jpg

Cheers,

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Cem
what a wonderfull city! You know I love Istanbulso thanks for that pano…
It is an unsual to me point of view, I can even see the islands in the BG!

Can't you try a zoomified version? therefore we could see all the details that you did catch but can't show on a "screen size" picture…

I'm glad you're back, but I "knew" you weren't that far from us !

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi folks,

As some of you (may) have noticed I have been absent for a while now.
This is just to let you know that all is well with me.
For sure your absence was felt but that's expected when one has to deal with real life! Every so often one needs to undo all the wound up springs and recalibrate!
So welcome once more my good fi\riend Cem! It's a pleasure to find this pano tro greet us today. It's so special as not only is it one view I'd love to have seen, but to experience this through your choices and affection for Istanbul makes this so much more important to me.

The use of the 70-200 is a great choice. I really believe the extra effort in stitching is paid off so well with the results you have shown. Thanks so much. The picture is well composed, interesting and will be a most impressive print.

Congrats!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

Let me add that the increase in resolution and clarity of a photograph made from stitches with the 70-200 compared to the 24mm 1.4L is really impressive as one might predict. The extra advantage is that one does not get the nasty distortion at the periphery in the stitch, at least not in a your projection.

Even with the 24mm 1.4L one would need 4 side by side shots stitched together. I see no great advantage for that. For less shots, 3 stitched images with the Mamiya 7II, (and the 43mm spectacular Biogen design 10 element Mamyia lens), would be impressive I expect. However, with your current pano, you have such a lot of detail that it would be hard to surpass!

Doing this handheld shows a triumph of mathematics over machinery! As our tools get better so do our options for creative photography. I'm glad to see this put to such good use.

With your picture, it's so much easier to get some understanding of East and West Istanbul, the Oriental and European sections. Interesting that the palaces are in the European side!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem
what a wonderfull city! You know I love Istanbulso thanks for that pano…
It is an unsual to me point of view, I can even see the islands in the BG!

Can't you try a zoomified version? therefore we could see all the details that you did catch but can't show on a "screen size" picture…

I'm glad you're back, but I "knew" you weren't that far from us !
Hi Nicolas,

I'll have go at the zoomify thingie later when I can make the time for it. Glad to be "back" but I have read OPF daily and was never really away :).

For sure your absence was felt but that's expected when one has to deal with real life! Every so often one needs to undo all the wound up springs and recalibrate!
So welcome once more my good fi\riend Cem! It's a pleasure to find this pano tro greet us today. It's so special as not only is it one view I'd love to have seen, but to experience this through your choices and affection for Istanbul makes this so much more important to me.

The use of the 70-200 is a great choice. I really believe the extra effort in stitching is paid off so well with the results you have shown. Thanks so much. The picture is well composed, interesting and will be a most impressive print.

Congrats!

Asher

Cem,

Let me add that the increase in resolution and clarity of a photograph made from stitches with the 70-200 compared to the 24mm 1.4L is really impressive as one might predict. The extra advantage is that one does not get the nasty distortion at the periphery in the stitch, at least not in a your projection.

Even with the 24mm 1.4L one would need 4 side by side shots stitched together. I see no great advantage for that. For less shots, 3 stitched images with the Mamiya 7II, (and the 43mm spectacular Biogen design 10 element Mamyia lens), would be impressive I expect. However, with your current pano, you have such a lot of detail that it would be hard to surpass!

Doing this handheld shows a triumph of mathematics over machinery! As our tools get better so do our options for creative photography. I'm glad to see this put to such good use.

With your picture, it's so much easier to get some understanding of East and West Istanbul, the Oriental and European sections. Interesting that the palaces are in the European side!

Asher
Hi Asher,

Thanks to the distance and the use of a longer lens, stitching the pano was very easy with not real issues. But I have not done a proper job on the projection yet, I'll redo it later. For instance, the horizon bends down towards the edges. I can show more pictures later, if you want me to?

Nice to see you...to see you nice! oldies from britain might remember who said that.

Best.
Hi Fahim,

Best to you too. I presume you were referring to Bruce Forsyth?

Cheers,