• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Website problem

janet Smith

pro member
Hi everyone

The last few days I've been unable to view my website live on the internet I get the usual website cannot be displayed message, I've been in touch with Tech Support provided by the host, countless times over the last couple of days, but still I can't see it, they're of the opinion that the problem lies with my ISP, I don't think this can be the case as it has always worked fine and no changes have been made. The host is now suggesting that I set up a Proxy server, I've no idea about this. For now I would appreciate it if you could let me know whether or not you can view my website.

Thank you

Cem_Usakligil

Hi everyone

The last few days I've been unable to view my website live on the internet I get the usual website cannot be displayed message, I've been in touch with Tech Support provided by the host, countless times over the last couple of days, but still I can't see it, they're of the opinion that the problem lies with my ISP, I don't think this can be the case as it has always worked fine and no changes have been made. The host is now suggesting that I set up a Proxy server, I've no idea about this. For now I would appreciate it if you could let me know whether or not you can view my website.

Thank you
Hi Jan,

I can see it, no problems at my end.

Cem_Usakligil

Thank you Charles, this is really odd that you and Cem can see it and I can't....
Hi Jan,

Did you try this from another PC/Mac or only one? If not done yet, do that first.
This looks like a DNS problem to me. Check your DNS server settings by opening a command entry window (windows key+R and then type cmd.exe and enter) and by typing:
Code:
ipconfig /all
(only for a PC).

On the Mac, open the Preferences and select the Network pane which should show the DNS server. Or run the terminal.app and type:
Code:
cat /etc/resolv.conf | grep nameserver
After that, ping your web server, whose IP address is: 83.138.171.51
This you do by typing:
Code:
ping [URL="http://www.jansmithphotography.co.uk/"]www.jansmithphotography.co.uk[/URL], or
ping 83.138.171.51
If this works ok (you should see that the ping works and it reports the connect times in ms), then the problem will not be in the network itself. You can then check your web server further.
If the ping does not work, then your firewall and/or dns servers are wrong.
Let me know how this goes.

HTH

Last edited:

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Jan,

Did you try this from another PC/Mac or only one? If not done yet, do that first.

Hi Cem

Yes, I've tried from my laptop (internet Explorer) and from the Mac (Safari) also from Paul's laptop and Michael's PC, none of them will work, we're all with the same ISP though.

Thank you very much for all this information Cem I'll print it off and try it later, the host suggested setting up a Proxy server, I think I'll follow your suggestions first. Reassuring to know that you can see it though, thank you also to Winston.

Any UK members can you see it?

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem

Yes, I've tried from my laptop (internet Explorer) and from the Mac (Safari) also from Paul's laptop and Michael's PC, none of them will work, we're all with the same ISP though.

Thank you very much for all this information Cem I'll print it off and try it later, the host suggested setting up a Proxy server, I think I'll follow your suggestions first. Reassuring to know that you can see it though, thank you also to Winston.

Any UK members can you see it?
Setting up a proxy server will probably work but won't take away the real problem. You have to find out why you cannot reach your site and resolve that issue.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi everyone

Thank you
Jan,

You're reaching Southern California and the response is fast, so it's not an issue getting to the WWW. BTW, I enjoyed the visit.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

BTW, just to be sure I have checked your IP address with the RBL servers (the ones which blacklist spamming servers online) and it is not mentioned anywhere (ie good news). Even if it would, this would still not block the http traffic but only effect the mails but still it is good to know that there are no problems there.

janet Smith

pro member
BTW, just to be sure I have checked your IP address with the RBL servers (the ones which blacklist spamming servers online) and it is not mentioned anywhere (ie good news). Even if it would, this would still not block the http traffic but only effect the mails but still it is good to know that there are no problems there.

Hi Cem

Thank you very much for your time in looking into this for me, it's very kind of you and very much appreciated.

I'm going to wait for Michael to come home tonight, he manages our home network, I've printed off your instructions, we'll have a look together later. I feel reassured to know that my site is still working, perhaps the problem is with either Virgin or in our home network, hopefully we'll have it sorted soon.

Once again thank you:)

janet Smith

pro member
Not sure yet, I didn't do anything, the host was looking into it, I assume they've managed to sort it from their end, still waiting to hear, thank you Cem.