• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Has your camera and lens

fahim mohammed

count:

1. increased

2. decreased

3. no change, but substituted

4. i am happy with what i had

over the last year.

Reasons would be interesting too.

Mine has decreased considerably primarily due to equipment weight issues. Your turn, please.

Thanks.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Interesting!

For the last months:

Camera (owned): stable (1Ds3)
Lens: recently added Canon 14 mm

Forseen:
- waiting for a very good lens in 17-24 range : 21 mm Zeiss with Canon mount? Nikon 14-24 with Canon adapter (expensive one!)
- Equipment: maybe a better (more stable) tripod to put under the RRS ballhead…

camera: depending of what will be 1Ds4…

fahim mohammed

Nicolas, you mean the 14-24, no? If so it is relatively expensive and heavy and no filter provision!

[EDIT] Form NC: I have corrected my error in the previous post, for better understanding, thanks for pointing me to this… [/EDIT]

nicolas claris

Nicolas, you mean the 14-24, no? If so it is relatively expensive and heavy and no filter provision!

You're right! yes 14-24, for those interested we had a good discussion on UW and W lens here :
http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8752

I don't need any filter nor AF, I just need the best IQ for the 21 Mpix sensor…

Heavy? not as much as the 500 mm! I have a good Lowepro trolley… :

18-1997-IMG1_LRG.jpeg

Jack_Flesher

Net quantities have been stable though some substitutions have been made. The most significant is moving from the M8 back to a Canon DSLR as my all-around system as it is more versatile.

Daniel Buck

For cameras, I've got about the same from last year, purchased a few more large format cameras, sold one, and sold a few 35mm cameras. same amount of digitals though.

for lenses, on the digital side I've not changed much, I've found the setup that I like. For my large format lenses, I've aquired a few, and sold a few, mostly found the setup I like throughout this year.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Some changes at the lenses:

- Nikon 14-24 half a year ago, one of my best investements
- YCZ Sonnar 85 the other day, very nice lens too - and small!
A incredible amount of quality for little money!

Cam: the 1 Ds-2 still fine, as for my needs, I can stitch and lenses are more important, require more attention than it might be for someone else. I like good glass ;-)

I should sell some of my older zuiko lenses..

fahim mohammed

Jack, thanks for joining in. I went the other way. Just Ms/ a few lenses..+ D700/zf35. That's it.

Good luck with your kit.

Net quantities have been stable though some substitutions have been made. The most significant is moving from the M8 back to a Canon DSLR as my all-around system as it is more versatile.

fahim mohammed

Hello Daniel.

Interesting how requirements change over time. I guess being in the profession one would tend to react
more quickly to customer needs.

I think I have found my setup with the D700 and 35/2. I am still working thru my M set-up. Bought
a few lenses last year from one of Jack's forum members. Used them only for a week and left them
in Canada. Got to sell them..and fast.

Take care.

For cameras, I've got about the same from last year, purchased a few more large format cameras, sold one, and sold a few 35mm cameras. same amount of digitals though.

for lenses, on the digital side I've not changed much, I've found the setup that I like. For my large format lenses, I've aquired a few, and sold a few, mostly found the setup I like throughout this year.

fahim mohammed

Michael, I tried out the 14-24 for a few days. Is that something! Heavy for me and I am not a uwa person.

I have not tried the Sonnar 85, but I would be surprised if the sonnar let you down. I have heard good
things about the pro zuikos, besides their elevated pricing!

Glad you are enjoying your set-up.

Best.

Some changes at the lenses:

- Nikon 14-24 half a year ago, one of my best investements
- YCZ Sonnar 85 the other day, very nice lens too - and small!
A incredible amount of quality for little money!

Cam: the 1 Ds-2 still fine, as for my needs, I can stitch and lenses are more important, require more attention than it might be for someone else. I like good glass ;-)

I should sell some of my older zuiko lenses..

Michael Fontana

pro member
You' re right Fahim

since having the 14-24, I started for the first time being really happy with my glass - since going digital, which is 6 (!!) years:

My set-up: N 14-24, Zeiss 25, 28, 35, 50, 85 - Canon Makro 100 and Makro 50, Nikon 180.

I never carry all the stuff with me; as I know before the assignements already, what I will use.

The 14-24 is wide and yes, havy - but worth it, especially for interiors.

nicolas claris

Nicolas, just looking at that ' trunk on wheels ' has given me a back ache! 500mm !!

I weigh around 75 kgs!

Hi Fahim
The 500 is set appart, can't get into the rolling trunk! but it fits perfectly, vertical between the handles, lying on the top of the trolley.
Anyway police controls do not allow the Canon case to get into planes, I had regester it empty as a luggage.
I usually as to bring every piece of lens with the camera as I usualy go to shoot interiors of boats a s well the same sailing… so 14 to 500 mm!
Last year was particularly heavy as beside my usual Canon gear, I had to bring the HY6 plus it's 3 lens!

I'm 84 Kgs (making my wife desesperated!)

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
More

I bought a camera to replace the 20d that I was using as a backup so now I have a 5d and a 5d2 as backup; I bought another set of Monolights for the studio and a few lenses - the 15 fish eye, the 16-35 abd a 70-200 4.0 as a back up to the 70-200 2.8 and a 135 2.0. Every so often I think I should sell some of my older things like the 50 2.5 and then I think about all the beautiful portraits I took with that lens. Next year I will hopefully buy the 85 1.2. I definitely have more. I tend to use zooms for weddings and events and my primes for walking around or portrait work.

fahim mohammed

Kathy, I lied. I found out that I do have a nikon F photomic along with the old 85/2. Difficult sometimes
to part with old friends!

I bought a camera to replace the 20d that I was using as a backup so now I have a 5d and a 5d2 as backup; I bought another set of Monolights for the studio and a few lenses - the 15 fish eye, the 16-35 abd a 70-200 4.0 as a back up to the 70-200 2.8 and a 135 2.0. Every so often I think I should sell some of my older things like the 50 2.5 and then I think about all the beautiful portraits I took with that lens. Next year I will hopefully buy the 85 1.2. I definitely have more. I tend to use zooms for weddings and events and my primes for walking around or portrait work.

fahim mohammed

Interesting !

p.s I shall be in Switzerland from the 3/july to the 18/July. with 4 days in Prague in between. Wife is taking a course to prepare her for the climb of the Matterhorn! I am on the ground!

Actually Fahim, some guys figured out how to apply filters on the 14-24; as I don't use them, I forgotten it...

Mike Shimwell

Hi Fahim

For a couple of reasons I seem to have slightly increased in camera numbers this year.

I still have the 1Ds3 and 5D - the 5d almost went, but it still finds use taking pics of the kids around the house and is a good backup if I'm asked to shoot for other people.

I've become very enamoured with 35mm film rangefinders this year and so gained an Ikon (the perfect camera?) at around the start of the year. Since then I've sold a Zorki 4K with Jupiter 8 (50mm f2) and acquired a Voigtlander R2m with 35 color-skopar - this only happened when I dropped the Ikon and had to send off to Germany!. When the Ikon returns I plan on selling the voigt (honestly!) and may add a ZM25 2.8 in place of that and the 70-300DO.

I keep wondering about medium format, but lack of available time and the need to sell at least on dslr (to uy a nikon 9000 scanner) keeps putting it off. The time because I want to make sure I get chance to learn to use the kit well and the dslr sale because I'm not entirely confident to use the Ikon to back up the 1Ds3 at a wedding... though I could always rent a backup body for that (bad thoughts!)

Like you Fahim, I'm finding working with an M and a few lenses very inspiring and it brings something back when I do pick up the dslrs as well.

I also have the Canon AE-1 that my grandfather bought me about 1979 or 80 and his 6 by 9 camera that I used before that!

Mike

In terms of lenses, I've gained a contax zeiss distagon 28 2.8 for the eos cameras and a couple of new (to me) M's 15 superwide heliar and 35 2 biogon. I sold a voigtlander 35 1.7 ultron. I've just realised that I have both a 35/2 biogon and distagon.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Interesting !

p.s I shall be in Switzerland from the 3/july to the 18/July. with 4 days in Prague in between. Wife is taking a course to prepare her for the climb of the Matterhorn! I am on the ground!
hehe, she's doing chocolate mountain ;-)

Off course, we can meet - I'm living In the northwest - in the very triangle of F, G & CH - but will probably - if work allows - be arround mid-july for 2 - 3 days in the alps, for my mountain-stich-project. It's not that high, at 2000 - 2500 meters only, not dangerous, well at the same place as I went the other years - piece of cake.

Lets pm once, I'll be back in my studio.

fahim mohammed

Hello Mike. How are you keeping? My ZI is back in Germany with a vertical alignment problem. Otherwise an abosuletely gem of a camera. The zm 25/2.8 is one of the best of the zm range. I keep
the dslr because it is so good and i would feel lonely without it.

The cv 15/4.5 ( old one ) is truly a big bang for your money.

MF is way beyond me, financially and as a system. I do dream about its iq, though.

Unfortunately, I shall be unable to go to the UK this time around. In Sept. I expect to be in England, on my way to the oct/nov fall season in Canada!

Take care.

Hi Fahim

For a couple of reasons I seem to have slightly increased in camera numbers this year.

I also have the Canon AE-1 that my grandfather bought me about 1979 or 80 and his 6 by 9 camera that I used before that!

Mike

In terms of lenses, I've gained a contax zeiss distagon 28 2.8 for the eos cameras and a couple of new (to me) M's 15 superwide heliar and 35 2 biogon. I sold a voigtlander 35 1.7 ultron. I've just realised that I have both a 35/2 biogon and distagon.

Jack_Flesher

Jack, thanks for joining in. I went the other way. Just Ms/ a few lenses..+ D700/zf35. That's it.

Good luck with your kit.

I hear you. I *LOVE* the M8; love the feel of the M8, love carrying it, love the glass and love the files it produces. Heck, I even love the RF framing and especially love the way the camera does not put a wall between me and my subject. But at the end of the day, I am getting older and good, fast AF has it's appeal...

Jim Galli

1 and 4.

I am incurable but the economic depression has throttled me a bit. In good times I'll buy something simply to see what it can do, then re-sell it a month later. Buyers are scarcer now so I am being slightly more cautious. I'm speaking of the voluminous collection of antique large format items. When it comes to digital / modern, the Nikon D200 and 18 - 135 zoom should be fine for years.

fahim mohammed

Jack, age is also a factor for me. I am seriously considering a dslr with built in camera stabilisation. maybe an oly or sony...but shall wait some more.

I hear you. I *LOVE* the M8; love the feel of the M8, love carrying it, love the glass and love the files it produces. Heck, I even love the RF framing and especially love the way the camera does not put a wall between me and my subject. But at the end of the day, I am getting older and good, fast AF has it's appeal...

fahim mohammed

Jim, you are not alone in these economic times. just this evening my wife was complaining about a cream
which last month was about 15% cheaper! we have to import most of these from abroad.

I have put up a few zeiss lenses for sale but so far buyers are hoarding their money.

Thanks for responding.

1 and 4.

I am incurable but the economic depression has throttled me a bit. In good times I'll buy something simply to see what it can do, then re-sell it a month later. Buyers are scarcer now so I am being slightly more cautious. I'm speaking of the voluminous collection of antique large format items. When it comes to digital / modern, the Nikon D200 and 18 - 135 zoom should be fine for years.

Same camera, Tachihara 810HD triple extension but with a new lens. A nice 450mm f4.5 came from E-bay for the princely sum of $23.00! Now I have a chance to explore the world of ultra-high resolution plus ultra-shallow depth of field.

fahim mohammed

Hi Maris, Nice of you to join in. A man who knows what he wants in photographic gear..and highly portable equipment too !!

Bravo and thanks.

Same camera, Tachihara 810HD triple extension but with a new lens. A nice 450mm f4.5 came from E-bay for the princely sum of $23.00! Now I have a chance to explore the world of ultra-high resolution plus ultra-shallow depth of field.

count:

1. increased

2. decreased

3. no change, but substituted

4. i am happy with what i had

over the last year.

Reasons would be interesting too.

Mine has decreased considerably primarily due to equipment weight issues. Your turn, please.

Thanks.

Since getting no more free bees, my lens arsenal is frozen at 14!