• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Michael Rechman's Report on the Canon iPF5000 after 1000 prints!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael Reichman, Editor, principal author and publisher of The Luminous Landscape has posted his updated report of the Canon iPF5000 pigment ink printer. He has been using the 17" printer for 6 months now and therefore has valuable experience to share.

He has used it for 11"x17" prints mostly and 13"X19" and also with 17"X22" sizes too.

Compared to the Epson 4800 he had no clogs, no bother to change inks and just as good prints sometimes even better. So he sold the Epson to save space!The newly unveiled and shipping Epson 3800, however, at least deals with the switching and wasting inks complaint and the price is right! The Epson 3800 should also be considered IMHO.

Michael is known to fall in love with his gear. I value his work enough to purchase his prints, (the subject of an upcoming review)!

When a fineart photographer puts his prints look in the hands of a paticular print machine, one has to pay attention. I like the idea that Canon as well as HP are begiinning to give us more choice of archival pigment printers and therefore we'll only expect even better printers from Epson!

Read Michael Reichman's entire updated review of the Canon iPF5000 here!

Asher Kelman

Anthony,

It's good to hear from you!

When did you get yours and what papers are you using?

Asher

Anthony Arkadia

I have had mine since November of 06, i have printed about 200 13x19's and have not even put a dent in my ink tanks. Too me the only downside of this printer is the price of the inks, however they do not all run out at the same time so it is basically a couple hundred here and a couple hundred there. Like my i9900 when you receive a "low ink" light you can still print plenty of images in this state, never replace your ink tanks until they have run completely dry.
As for paper i pay the premium for Canon Photo Paper Pro for all my A3 and 8x10 work, to me their paper yields the best results with their inks. As for rolls i am using the Canon Fine Art 17" x 100' Roll.
I really like the fact that you may print direct from CS2 now in 16Bit. I do not see how prints can get much better than this.

Nill Toulme

Anthony Arkadia said:
I really like the fact that you may print direct from CS2 now in 16Bit. I do not see how prints can get much better than this.

I bet the printer driver converts to 8-bit. It might or might not speed up printing to do that conversion yourself. Unlikely to affect output quality either way.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Asher Kelman

Does the printer really have a 16 BIT gamut? Also do we have paper that is good enough even if we had a 16 BIT printer.

Asher

Steve Fines

Hello,

I enjoyed the review.

The idea of the built in profiling is great.

It is also wonderful to see some solid competition for Epson - no doubt we as the end users wil benefit from this.

I sold my 2200 a while ago and since have been using whcc, but the idea of getting back into fine art papers appeals to me. We'll see.

John Hollenberg

Nill Toulme said:
I bet the printer driver converts to 8-bit. It might or might not speed up printing to do that conversion yourself. Unlikely to affect output quality either way.

Yes, it will convert to 8 bit if you print through the driver. However, if you use the Export plugin in Photoshop the 16 bits go directly to the printer. Everyone who has tested states the prints are better from the 16 bit Photoshop plugin--smoother gradations, and for some strange reason, a slightly larger gamut.

--John

John Hollenberg said:
Yes, it will convert to 8 bit if you print through the driver. However, if you use the Export plugin in Photoshop the 16 bits go directly to the printer. Everyone who has tested states the prints are better from the 16 bit Photoshop plugin--smoother gradations, and for some strange reason, a slightly larger gamut.

That's useful information. Do you have any links with comparisons?

Bart

Anthony Arkadia said:
..., never replace your ink tanks until they have run completely dry.

I'm not sure if that is a prudent thing if one wants to avoid overheating the printhead.

I have experienced magenta streaking with a Canon printer using dye ink after I let the magenta ink run out, despite the early warnings. The warnings come with some time/ink left before the supply runs dry, but I'll never push it to the limits again. A little ink is cheaper than a printhead ...

Bart