• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Domestic violence

Jarmo Juntunen

Or "Whack. A sybling drama."

_small.jpg

_small.jpg

No children were damaged when shooting these. He missed. She did not retaliate.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Or "Whack. A sybling drama."

_small.jpg

_small.jpg

No children were damaged when shooting these. He missed. She did not retaliate.

Jarmo,

These scenes a rep precious moments. I wonder if you have more to share.

Now the hard part. Of course they're having fun but what role do parents behave in their reactions to simulated violence. Is it even important?

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Asher, to be quite honest they were serious. At least he was, but since he missed the girl probably didn't notice anything special. These two get really rough at each other sometimes, I can tell.
As for your question, I have had the same mixed emotions regarding these pictures. I, the father, was standing close when my son tried to whack his sister. What did I do? I took a picture. Am I getting used to seeing the evil in people by witnessing a normal and, hmm, healthy growing process of my kids and no longer feel the need to intervene? Or have I just grown a sixth sense and understood he's going to miss anyway?

Asher Kelman

Asher, to be quite honest they were serious. At least he was, but since he missed the girl probably didn't notice anything special. These two get really rough at each other sometimes, I can tell.
As for your question, I have had the same mixed emotions regarding these pictures. I, the father, was standing close when my son tried to whack his sister. What did I do? I took a picture. Am I getting used to seeing the evil in people by witnessing a normal and, hmm, healthy growing process of my kids and no longer feel the need to intervene? Or have I just grown a sixth sense and understood he's going to miss anyway?

Jarmo,

I assure you that the behavior is neither healthy nor something one simply is likely to outgrow without parental intervention.

As a grandfather and a physician, I can look back now with a long time of observation and feel that intervening is important. The fellow has to be told that's not acceptable behavior. It's not a matter of "growing out of it" as one might think but rather learning social boundaries we do not cross and offering other ways to harvest and exploit aggression, like basket ball or swimming or competing in chess. It's at this stage, and only now that one can really influence the life of a child. If he doesn't learn now that acting out like this is not tolerated even one iota, then he won't be protected from a lot of social problems in our society later on.

You took these pictures for a reason. This post is, I would offer the reason.

With affection and humility,

Grandfather Asher! :)

Jarmo Juntunen

Asher, I need to say I don't completely agree with you. One of the most fundamental features in the human nature is aggression. We try to surpress it simply because we need to cooperate to coexist. Yes, violent behaviour is something every sane parent needs to stop. But I'm afraid there is no denying that aggressive behaviour is a part of us all. As for setting the boundaries I agree with you and get so frustrated to see so few parents do.

Asher Kelman

Asher, I need to say I don't completely agree with you. One of the most fundamental features in the human nature is aggression. We try to surpress it simply because we need to cooperate to coexist. Yes, violent behaviour is something every sane parent needs to stop. But I'm afraid there is no denying that aggressive behaviour is a part of us all. As for setting the boundaries I agree with you and get so frustrated to see so few parents do.

Thanks for the assurance that I didn't go completely over the top! Even shy behavior needs to be watched.

What we think of as cute, may in fact mean some traits that we could have dealt with earlier. Shyness or compulsive behavior are normal variants yet one has to make sure that the extent of it won't harm their future social life and ability to work with others.

Meanwhile, my grandson is pretending to rescue a Giant sloth from attack by a Saber-toothed Tiger! He wanted me to look up in you tube the video of him frightening the Saber-toothed Tiger with a fiery log from a fire pit. Well, he's 4 and feels that anything he thinks of must be in a video, as so far, that's been true!

Asher