• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Lightroom 2.2 released

John Angulat

pro member
Thanks Cem

Just so everyone knows...it's a 130MB download. A very long 130MB download.
Also, you have to extract the update to a separate folder, then run the install. The 130MB extracted install program remains in that folder, occupying a lot of space. Delete it after running.
I'd say if you don't need the 5D or G10 support, don't bother.

Alain Briot

pro member
There is more to v2.2 than just support for the 5D Mark II and G10 (and 5 other cameras). It also includes Adobe's Camera Profiles (found under the Camera Calibration part of the Develop module) as well as several refinements such as enhanced performance of the local adjustment tools.

Where do you find the camera profiles? My version of LR 2.2 only shows 4 profiles: ACR 4.4, ACR 4.1, Adobe Standard and Adobe Standard Beta 2? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Andrew Rodney

Where do you find the camera profiles? My version of LR 2.2 only shows 4 profiles: ACR 4.4, ACR 4.1, Adobe Standard and Adobe Standard Beta 2? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

The newer profiles Eric Chan built are for Nikon and Canon so if you don't have such a beast, you will not see his profiles show up.

Otherwise, here's the path for profiles:

On Mac OS X:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles
On Windows 2000 / XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles
On Windows Vista:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

From the DNG Profile Editor FAQ:

Q. I only see an "Embedded" profile in the Profile popup menu. What's wrong?

A. You probably have a JPEG or TIFF file selected. The camera profiles discussed here only apply to raw files, not already-rendered images such as JPEG and TIFF images.

Q. The older profiles were named ACR 3.3, ACR 4.4, etc. Why are the new profiles named Adobe Standard?

A. Older camera profiles were assigned a number (e.g., "3.3") corresponding to the CR release in which they first appeared (e.g., CR 3.3). Many users found this naming convention confusing. Therefore, with our new camera profiles built around DNG 1.2, we are dropping the CR version number from the profile name.

Q.The first public beta profiles have the "beta 1" suffix. The second public beta profiles have the "beta 2" suffix.What happened to the older profiles (e.g., ACR 3.3, ACR 4.4)?

A. They're still around (we didn't delete them) and you can still use them if you prefer.

Q. What version of Camera Raw or Lightroom do I need to use the new profiles?

A. CR 4.5 / LR 2.0 (final release) or later. The new profiles will NOT work correctly with earlier versions of CR / LR, because they do not fully support DNG 1.2. In particular, the new profiles will NOT work correctly with the public beta of Lightroom 2.0.

Jeremy Lawrence

Further to Andrew's profiles comment - you only ever see the profiles relevant to the specific camera that took the images, not any other supported models. Not sure what will happen if you select images from 2 different cameras though and then try and calibrate!