• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

It's a small world

Well, this little guy's world is small anyway. This is Tony Romo. He is a Beta that my wife brought home a few weeks ago. This is his world and he seems to be thriving in it. When she purchased the fish, he was living in a little plastic cup. His new home must feel like a mansion to him now. He is happy with his surroundings because he is making a bubble nest in anticipation of attracting a mate. At least that is what the "experts" tell me. I took this photo for a couple of reasons. One, to try out the D3 and lower light situations. It's only ISO 800 so not that good of a test but it's much better than my D200 would have done under the same conditions. Second, just to have a photo of our newest "pet". He is actually developing quite the personality...for a fish that is.
0609_fish_4270.jpg

I'm just going by what I was told. I wan't sure how to check for sure:) I believe it's like most species...the male is more brightly colored, or prettier, and does a lot of strutting around trying to attract a female. I think we may be the only ones not that way? He's not so smart though because he has not figured out there are no others in there...just him. I guess it does not hurt to be prepared.

I also read that if I were to put a female in there, he would most likely kill her. He would actually squeeze her to death. I don't want that on my head. Plus, I don't want the patter of ten thousand little fins either. He is living the single life whether he likes it or not.
Here's a couple of more. There was an old movie way back in the early 60's I believe and Don Knots was the star. He was in the Navy and somehow turned into a fish. He looked a little like Tony I think.

0520_TonyRomoFish_3719.jpg

0520_TonyRomoFish_3712.jpg

James, maybe you know this already, but Beta's are very territorial. Place a mirror up close to the glass so that he can see himself. He will attack the image. You cannot do this too much, as he will become exhausted. Beta's do not play well with others, such the comments about the female being in the same area.
Of course I have only read about the mirror trick, having never done that myself, (wink wink).

Marshall