• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

At the beach

StuartRae

Yesterday we visited Discovery Point.

IMG_0925.jpg

The Olympic Range across Puget Sound

IMG_0949-02.jpg

Mount Rainier in the distance

IMG_0941.jpg

A splash in the sea

IMG_0953.jpg

The lighthouse

Regards,

Stuart

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Stuart,

All lovely pictures, it seems you had a great day at the beach.
The first one is spot on, I really like the clear vista of the mountains on the horizon.
The third is especially precious.

But I want to comment on the second one if I may.
IMG_0949-02.jpg

Mount Rainier in the distance
I think that you may be editing on a system which not calibrated for photographic workflow. There are a lot of obvious halos. The clarity (or the local contrast enhancements) is over the top, which may have caused the halos. Also the saturation can be a tad lower imo. Finally, I don't want to sound like the infamous crop poice, but you could easily crop the half of the sky. The picture has a lot of potential if you ask me. Mt. Rainier is just majestic.

Have a nice time. :)

Doug Kerr

Hi, Stuart,

All beautiful, each in its own way.

The one with Mount Rainier in the distance is especially striking.

Are those by any chance some type of ore or coal loaders in the background? (They do not seem to be Hulett ore loaders, the kind with which I am most familiar from my days in Cleveland).

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

IMG_0941.jpg

Stuart Rae: A splash in the sea

Original

Here's another presentation for your consideration, thanks for allowing me to tinker!

IMG_0941_AK.jpg

Edited and cropped with permission ADK

I really appreciate and enjoy the shot very much!

Asher

StuartRae

Cem_Usakligil said:
I think that you may be editing on a system which not calibrated for photographic workflow. There are a lot of obvious halos. The clarity (or the local contrast enhancements) is over the top, which may have caused the halos. Also the saturation can be a tad lower imo. Finally, I don't want to sound like the infamous crop poice, but you could easily crop the half of the sky. The picture has a lot of potential if you ask me. Mt. Rainier is just majestic.

Hi Cem,

Spot on with the comments! I'm using a borrowed laptop without familiar software and no mouse. I hate the wretched touch pad - I just can't get used to it. I'm therefore unwilling to invest too much effort in an image that I know is probably not up to standard. In this particular example, Mt. Rainier was almost invisible until I juggled with levels, curves and contrast, a process which screwed the rest of the image.

Doug Kerr said:
Are those by any chance some type of ore or coal loaders in the background? (They do not seem to be Hulett ore loaders, the kind with which I am most familiar from my days in Cleveland).

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the comments.
What you can see in the distance is the West Seattle bridge and the cranes used to unload container ships.

IMG_0949-03.jpg

Later in the week I hope to visit the railway museum at Snoqualmie.

Regards,

Stuart

fahim mohammed

Stuart, lovely place, lovely images.

Enjoy your time with the family..

In hindsight, there are a thousand ways to make an image look better..each by a thousand different people.

The best ones are the ones that YOU cherish.

Regards.