• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

anyone else enjoying the football (europe)

Bob Latham

Bob - Scotland commit violence to football as a game not at it !

i was going to pick asher up on the British thing but he is american now - and 48% of the country believe the world is 6000 years old so i thought I would let it go.

benefit of the doubt and all that !

"Yank bashing" isn't my thing mark.....but, not being one to pass up the chance, I pass on this moment of genius.

One crystal clear winter evening I was walking across the car park of a Norwegian factory with an American colleague (a degreed engineer). The full moon made the scene almost like daylight and he looked up and said "gee, that moon sure is bright"....."say, is that the same moon we get back home?"
I pretty much limit my expletives to once per annum but that question dragged it out as early as January.
My McEnroe-esque reponse...."you cannot be ******* serious".....he was :(

Bob

Mark Hampton

"Yank bashing" isn't my thing mark.....but, not being one to pass up the chance, I pass on this moment of genius.

One crystal clear winter evening I was walking across the car park of a Norwegian factory with an American colleague (a degreed engineer). The full moon made the scene almost like daylight and he looked up and said "gee, that moon sure is bright"....."say, is that the same moon we get back home?"
I pretty much limit my expletives to once per annum but that question dragged it out as early as January.

Bob

Bob,

that story had me in stitches

its just a ribbing ! I am sure our American friends can take it.

I missed the last four matches in full but have noticed the England bandwagon is in full flow in the media.

russia / poland out !

the games are coming thick and fast. This is way better than the world cup.

This is way better than the world cup.

Hi Mark,

On behalf of the Dutch team (2nd place on the Worldcup), I disagree :(

We're facing not only an economic slow-down (and the fall-out of todays Greek and French elections), but a fair chance of getting eliminated this evening before even reaching the quarter finals. The track record of the Dutch team against Portugal is not too good either (incompatible playing styles), and then knowing we'll have to win by 2 points difference, the Portugese will love our weak defence being fully exposed ... It may help Ronaldo's ego though ;).

And even IF the Dutch team wins, we only stay in the competition if Germany also wins their match.

Our odds are slim.

Cheers anyway,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Bob

The truth be known! A lot of folk here really believe that the entire N. American continent, maybe even including our Northern neighbors, is bathed in a special light that confers a unique status, purpose, destiny and authority on the people here, even if they are ignorant.

So yes, the guy was flu*&*%^$-sukking-whackingcking serious and probably on his way to a "tea party" meeting and about to put his hand on his TV set to join in brotherhood to a prayer meeting!

But, look at it this way, humans are just visitors and a passing phase!

Asher

I believe an economic slow-down is the point where women stop buying shoes....I think we're safe in the short to medium term.

If I read you right, you have my sympathy.

What makes you think that he's got an ego?

Just guessing ... ;)

Anyway, he got his boost.

It was an interesting game, for 20 minutes, Netherlands is out now. I hope the rest of the tournament offers some nice games for watching.

Cheers,
Bart

Bob Latham

It was an interesting game, for 20 minutes, Netherlands is out now. .....
It's surprising (given the array of individual talent in the Dutch squad) that they're heading home without a point on the board. They have a midfield and strike force to put fear into most teams but it didn't combine to make "the whole bigger than the sum of the parts". Although Robben has skill in abundance, I think the Dutch would be a better unit without him on the field and perhaps bring him on as an "impact substitute" when all else has failed.

....... I hope the rest of the tournament offers some nice games for watching.
You mean someone beating the Germans?....I fear not.

World Cup---European Championship--World Cup--European Championship--- and on and on. I'm just preparing myself for my biennial disappointment.

Bob

It's surprising (given the array of individual talent in the Dutch squad) that they're heading home without a point on the board.

It's a bloody shame. They apparently were very much out of shape, so this was the best that the coach could bring to the field. There also seem to be some other internal issues between players, we'll learn about that in the analysis of what went wrong. Zero points, incredible.

You mean someone beating the Germans?....I fear not.

I also wouldn't rule out the Spaniards yet. We'll see how they continue, this evening.

Have fun,
Bart