• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Video from last night

Jerome Marot

If you excuse me, I would like to use the occasion for a slight copyright rant...

I suppose that you, as most photographers including myself, cannot really compose music. Yet, for a movie, a silent soundtrack is a problem. So you used the free music archive and We're all of this by Delphine Dora. Except that We're all of this by Delphine Dora is licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives (aka Music Sharing) 3.0 International License.

You also have a web site with your pictures. At the bottom it says. "All content and images are the property of Robert Watcher and cannot be copied or used in any way without written permission from the copyright owner."

Need I say more?

How come you can still edit your post when I cannot?

Jerome, I believe if you post and edit very soon after (perhaps a half hour or so, you can still edit. After that, the post becomes permanent and you can no longer do so. I know some sites do this so that the thread should always make sense. I suspect that Robert may have asked Asher to remove the link, as it was done much later than the original post. I went to Robert's youtube page and there are no new videos there, so perhaps he's just going to fix it and re-upload it later.

As for the adding copyright information; I'm with you all the way. I have a friend that because he loves music and having a project inspires him, does all the music for my videos and I credit him both in the video, in the about information and add a link to him. As for Delphine Dora, it is very important to make sure her CC license follow her as it specifies no commercial and no derivatives. It must follow. I'm sure it was an oversight as I know a lot of people think that Creative Commons means they don't have to credit, but they actually not only should; they must.

For artists wanting to share their work with a Creative Commons license (I use it for articles I write) it is easy to obtain the proper code to add to your website by going here and choosing exactly the type of license you need. Very simple.

https://creativecommons.org/choose/http://

Jerome Marot

Jerome, I believe if you post and edit very soon after (perhaps a half hour or so, you can still edit. After that, the post becomes permanent and you can no longer do so. I know some sites do this so that the thread should always make sense. I suspect that Robert may have asked Asher to remove the link, as it was done much later than the original post.

Usually, when Asher removes a post, he lefts an indication as "post removed at the request of the writer" or something similar.

I am asking because I would like to know whether some members have different privilege than others. If such is the case, I shall reconsider my participation in this forum.

I went to Robert's youtube page and there are no new videos there, so perhaps he's just going to fix it and re-upload it later.

I see from your comment on the youtube page that you found it in the mean time.

As for Delphine Dora, it is very important to make sure her CC license follow her as it specifies no commercial and no derivatives. It must follow. I'm sure it was an oversight

It is quite possibly an oversight, but the correct answer is not to delete the post here and leave the video on youtube.

Yes, Jerome, I did find it after I commented here. There is a credit to the writer and name of the song in the video. I did not check the description for licensing info, though.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
All folk here should have the same editing rights. I did increase this recently and when I get a moment, (am trying to break down a set and prepare for a trip), I'll see where we are with editing times.

As for copyright, "Fair Use" doctrine in the USA does allow brief non commercial reference as part of discussion where there is no direct commercial interest. I'm not knowledgeable of the laws in other countries. Extended discussion is also allowed.

BTW, Robert is, AFAIK, a musician too! But Robert, can you compose? For me, I just have to resign myself to enjoying the work of others. Was not allowed to play the violin, so made sure my sons each had that opportunity! My youngest composes!

Asher

Michael Nagel

All folk here should have the same editing rights. I did increase this recently and when I get a moment, (am trying to break down a set and prepare for a trip), I'll see where we are with editing times.
I would like to see this 'should have' replaced by a firm confirmation 'have' here and extend the verification of individual privileges to other aspects.
I remember seeing user(s) posting with attachments. I don't see how I could do that for instance.

I am with Jerome on the consequences.

As for copyright, "Fair Use" doctrine in the USA does allow brief non commercial reference as part of discussion where there is no direct commercial interest. I'm not knowledgeable of the laws in other countries. Extended discussion is also allowed.
I don't think that fair use covers derived work.
17 U.S. Code § 107 - Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use
mentiones <... for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching...>
Adding music with the above mentioned license to a video is IMHO something different.

Best regards,
Michael

Jerome Marot

The original post was edited more than 4 hours after it has been originally posted. In the mean time, I found out that I can also edit my posts more than 4 hours after they have been posted. I don't know when that was changed but it seems that it was changed for everybody.

Last edited: