• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Adobe Lightroom 1.0 released

Jeff O'Neil

I believe that those of us who had purchased Raw Sooter Prenium will be entitled to the first version of Lightroom for free. It will be interesting to see if they follow though on this.

Jef

John Hollenberg

Jeff,

Of course they will follow through. What are you talking about? That has been stated all along. Go to Pixmantec forums if you have questions about the procedure. Will be available as a download only for RSP owners, with full rights to upgrade when 2.0 comes around for the same price as other owners who purchase LR 1.X outright. The dot releases will be free as well, only the next full version will require the upgrade price.

--John

Jeff O'Neil

John,

I was referring to how the free release would be handled. In the rush to get a new product to market often these side deals get pushed to the back burner for a while.

Chuck Fry

Side-note: I personally would pass... CS3 Bridge + ACR4 provides almost identical set of features at a much faster speed. And no stupid importing...

I've already got my order in. Since the first Lightroom beta came out, I've been using it to the exclusion of PS/Bridge. Lightroom is that much better at handling whole shoots at once.

I'll still use PS when the situation calls for the kinds of adjustments and retouching that Lightroom can't do... but every one of my digital photos will go through Lightroom first.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Does anybody understands how to use LR on two computers -
the RAWs (or DNG's - I might think running a DNG-workflow, for the first time) residing on a external harddisc?

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Michael,

I haven't tried this yet, but I'd do the following on a couple of Windows computers to find out:
1) Hack the registry (HKCU>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Explorer>Shell Folders) to relocate the "My Pictures" to a network share
2) Install LR, which will install the LR database in the "My Pictures" folder, which is now on the network
3) Install LR on another PC, of which the registry has also been changed as in step 1
4) Make sure that all your photos also reside on network shares
4) Do some work on PC1. When importing pictures, refer to their network share locations, preferably using UNC references.
5) Open LR on PC2 and see if the changes are visible. If so, change something.
6) Open LR on PC1 and see if the changes of PC2 are visible.

If all goes well so far, you can work in either PC, but not yet simultaneously. I don't know enough about the SQLITE database which is used by LR, how and if it supports concurrent users, and whether LR is created as such that concurrent access to the db is allowed or not. Trial and error would be the way to :).

HTH,

Cheers,

Import as a showstopper

Despite of all the improvements in the release vs beta, there is still an omnipotent concept of "the library" which is different for the file system. Yes they tried to address this de-synchronization issue via performing actual file I/O action if the imaged is moved within the library (that's an easy part, even though not always: what if you move an image from a linked folder representing the actual HDD folder - i.e. a link - to a "virtual folder" that exists only in LR library and has no analogue in the File System?) and watching the "library related" folders for possible changes and trying to resync the library accordingly.

Being a (Windows) programmer for a good part of my life I know exactly how it can be done even in the most a efficient way and I should tell you: it will put a lot of a burden on your file system, at least in Windows world. And it still will be prone to mishaps and errors.

I guess, LR will work just fine for those who never-ever move their files around and don't do any heavy PS work. I definitely do not belong to either of these groups, hence, as I mentioned, I'll pass on this one and patiently wait for the CS3, especially having its fully working beta :)

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Michael,

Either I misunderstood your question or the "solution" given by Mr. Rodney.

If I understood your question correctly, you were looking for a solution whereby a centralised db and networked images are to be shared between multiple computers running lightroom. If so, I do not understand how the posts by Mr. Rodney provide a solution to this issue. Given the fact that I am very tired right now and must go to bed (11:45 PM here), the chances are, I've missed some essential info along the line, which is entirely possible ;-). If so, my apologies.

Cheers,

Edit: Just read Nik's post after composing and posting mine. We were apparently writing at the same time. I concur with his arguments completely. That is also what I was trying to say (among other things) when I mentioned that it was not as "solution" as such. Too tired to make any sense right now, I'll write to you tomorrow :)

Last edited:

Michael Fontana

pro member
Hi Michael,

Either I misunderstood your question or the "solution" given by Mr. Rodney.

If I understood your question correctly, you were looking for a solution whereby a centralised db and networked images are to be shared between multiple computers running lightroom. If so, I do not understand how the posts by Mr. Rodney provide a solution to this issue. Given the fact that I am very tired right now and must go to bed (11:45 PM here), the chances are, I've missed some essential info along the line, which is entirely possible ;-). If so, my apologies.

Cheers,

No problem at all; Cem. I hope you had a good sleep.

Is the library residing on a external FireWire/S-ATA-disk, one can use it on multiple computers.
If the RAW od DNG-files are on the same, external disc, edits are possible with all of them.
Thats how I interpret Andrew's post.
Am I missing something?

regards, Michael

Michael Fontana

pro member
D

I guess, LR will work just fine for those who never-ever move their files around and don't do any heavy PS work. I definitely do not belong to either of these groups, hence, as I mentioned, I'll pass on this one and patiently wait for the CS3, especially having its fully working beta :)

Could you specify on the influence of "don't do any heavy PS work. "
LR & PS are related, but how comes, that LR will "eat" lots of PS ressources?

Cem_Usakligil

No problem at all; Cem. I hope you had a good sleep.

Is the library residing on a external FireWire/S-ATA-disk, one can use it on multiple computers.
If the RAW od DNG-files are on the same, external disc, edits are possible with all of them.
Thats how I interpret Andrew's post.
Am I missing something?

regards, Michael
Ah, it seems I misunderstood you after all.

A "LR library", as I refer to it, is the "database" of LR wherein all shoots, previews, etc. are held plus the folders within which the images themselves are to be found. If this was to be shared accross multiple computers, the changes made on one computer would be immediately visible in others. E.g., one computer imports a new shoot, other computers see the shoot also immediately.

A "LR Library", as you refer to it, is the collection of (RAW+DNG) images (plus sidecars) and not the LR specific settings such as shoots. If a computer imports a new shoot, you'd have to repeat this import in other computers as well.

In your original post, when you've asked "Does anybody understands how to use LR on two computers -", I assumed that you were referring to my definition of using the exact same LR settings and previews accross multiple computers, whereas you just wanted to make the same images available to multiple instances of LR installed on multiple computers.

This explains my confusion. What you are looking for is very easy to resolve, as has been given in the post you yourself have referred to :).

Cheers,

Michael Fontana

pro member
Cem,
if one writes the edits back into a DNG, I think the two libraries - "yours and the mine" should be identical. Isn't that the way it works?

Cem_Usakligil

Cem,
if one writes the edits back into a DNG, I think the two libraries - "yours and the mine" should be identical. Isn't that the way it works?
Yes and no. Yes, as far as the image editing data such as corrections to ACR from within LR and tagging. No, regarding the library and organisation of shoots vs. folders in LR and other bits and pieces. That is also what Nik was referring to when he mentioned the discrepancies of the LR "library".

Cheers,

Last edited:
Michael.

Could you specify on the influence of "don't do any heavy PS work. "
LR & PS are related, but how comes, that LR will "eat" lots of PS ressources?

A couple of such examples (I'm sure there are more, but I've stopped trying for quite some time already) could be
  1. AFAIK, PS has no idea of the LR, so if file is residing in the library only and not on the disk you'd have some interesting time trying to open it, at least from PS itself
  2. LR is only marginally aware of PS existence, hnce no PS scripting/automation/batching originated by LR.
Don't get me wrong, LR is a very cool tool.
It's just for me in particular "cool" alone does not mean much as opposed to a streamlined workflow with a lot of hooks for automation.

HTH

Andrew Rodney

You can't access or work with LR libraries on a network or any kind of shared workflow. You can have the library on your HD with or without the actual images. You can have a mobile HD that has this data and move it from machine to machine but only one person can access and edit the data at one time.

Michael Fontana

pro member
A couple of such examples (I'm sure there are more, but I've stopped trying for quite some time already) could be
  1. AFAIK, PS has no idea of the LR, so if file is residing in the library only and not on the disk you'd have some interesting time trying to open it, at least from PS itself
  2. LR is only marginally aware of PS existence, hnce no PS scripting/automation/batching originated by LR.
Don't get me wrong, LR is a very cool tool.
It's just for me in particular "cool" alone does not mean much as opposed to a streamlined workflow with a lot of hooks for automation.

HTH

Thanks, Nikolai

I' m just trying to figure out, how it could be used in a streamlined workflow, using today a typical iVMP-workflow with a third-party RAW-converter and additional tools as Photomatix's HDR, but PS-plugins as well.

Therefore, my thoughts turn arround LR to be a helper for future archiving, (following Peter Krogh's ideas) with writing back the edits into a DNG, adding metadata from the beginning, meanwhile beeing open to third-party software, or PS-plugins for lens corrections.

I'm aware, that this is a lot of requests; but I' m only trying to get the best for my specific needs.
As the final version isn't out yet, it's hard to guess.

PS-scripting:
Uwe Steinmüller states: "Batch processing in Lightroom is extremely powerful in conjunction with Photoshop Droplets. All files can be postprocessed by Photoshop Droplets which allow very complex postprocessing during batch." look at dop

Michael Fontana

pro member
You can't access or work with LR libraries on a network or any kind of shared workflow. You can have the library on your HD with or without the actual images. You can have a mobile HD that has this data and move it from machine to machine but only one person can access and edit the data at one time.

That's fine, I'm not looking for a server-version....

Michael Fontana

pro member
Does the "color-engine" of LR vers 1 has changed since beta 4?

Just made a comparison between LR and RAW Developer:
LR B-4 has still this "color-switching" on certain image-parts from the ACR-aera, look at the branches:

RD_LR.jpg

I'm aware that every RC has it's pro's and con's; CA-correction beeing a good point for LR....

Files are not in the database

<so if file is residing in the library only and not on the disk you'd have some interesting time trying to open it, at least from PS itself

All files are in the file system and can be opened in Photoshop. This is a major change with the new LR folder structure.

Uwe