• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

So How Do you Use Windows Programs on your Intel Mac?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We now have 3 Choices, AFAIK. Which have you tried? What works well or not? Let's collect experience.

1. Parallels

NEW VERSION IS JUST RELEASED!
    Already the top-rated software on PC World's Top "Best 100 Products of 2007" Parallels Desktop for Mac just got better. The latest release of Parallels Desktop for Mac comes packed with 50+ new features and enhancements, including SmartSelect, Snapshots, 3D graphics, improved Coherence and USB support. See more here and purchase for $79.99.

• No rebooting required!
    • New! Parallels Coherence - run Windows applications directly from your Mac desktop!
    • New! USB 2.0 support - use popular USB 2.0 devices like printers, scanners, and external hard drives at full native speed!
    • Wide OSes support - including Microsoft Windows Vista
    • Unlimited choice of popular applications - your hardware gets
    • automatically configured for Windows
    • SAVE $49.99 - improve virtual machine performance and save storage space by 50% or more with Parallels Compressor tool included FR

2. Bootcamp
    previewtop20060405.jpg
    Download trial of Beta here.

What you’ll need
    • Mac OS X Tiger v10.4.6 or later (check Software Update in System Preferences)
    • The latest EFI Boot ROM and SMC firmware updates (check Support Page)
    • At least 10GB free hard disk space
    • An Intel-based Mac
    • A blank recordable CD
    • A printer for the included instructions (You'll want to print them before installing Windows, really.)
    • A bona fide full, 32-bit, single-disc version of Microsoft Windows: Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2, Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2, WIndows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business, or Windows Vista Ultimate.
  3. Fusion

Download Evaluation Copy or purchase here for $60 after mail in rebate.(don't forget to send it in!)
]

fusion_header.png
  • Unite Windows and Mac OS X
  • Seamlessly run Windows applications alongside Mac applications with the Unity features in VMware Fusion.
  • Find and launch Windows applications quickly with the VMware Fusion launcher. Switch between Windows and Mac applications quickly with Exposé.
  • Minimize Windows applications to the Mac OS X Dock.

So is the dual boot system of practical use to you or you haven't explored it yet?

Asher

Andrew Rodney

I've got Bootcamp on one Intel iMac. Fast. I'm running Vista. The only thing that I don't like is I have to remember to hold down the Option key when rebooting otherwise, Windows defaults as the OS. Seems dumb. You'd think Bootcamp would provide control over this or at least default to boot OS X.

I've got Bootcamp on one Intel iMac. Fast. I'm running Vista. The only thing that I don't like is I have to remember to hold down the Option key when rebooting otherwise, Windows defaults as the OS. Seems dumb. You'd think Bootcamp would provide control over this or at least default to boot OS X.
I had one that was doing that.. If you go to your system preferences on the MAC side and pick the MAC as the boot disk it seems to stay that way... at least it did on the one I was working with... It's supposed to stay where ever the last boot was.. but seems to get hung on the Windows side..

Andrew Rodney

Tried system preferences, didn't work between boots of the OS. I just made a sticker on the Mac reminding me the 3 times a year I'll boot Vista to hold down the Option Key at boot time.

ron_hiner

I use Parallels -- it works great. One issue though is that I can't print from qimage to my R2400 printer. I suspect there is a soluiton to that, probably by switching from firewire to USB.

Other than that, its fantastic!

I have never tried VMware, and I don't plan on ever trying Bootcamp. I'm not interested in rebooting everytime I need a windows program.

Ron

Paul Caldwell

Boot Camp

As I 97% windows user, (I still prefer the macbookpro platform to any other laptop on the market currently), so I run boot camp. Now up to 1.4 but I am still on 1.3. I am running the original version 2.16 macbookpro.

It's gotten much better with 1.3. However you still will see some issues.

1. About every 20th boot, the machine comes up with only one core showing in task manager. When this happens, the machine get hot very fast. Fix is a power off and reboot.

2. You still need non mac tools like "input remapper" to allow you to control the fans. There is still no real fan control in native XP with all the Mac drivers. Net the machine will run hot 65 to 75 C degrees and long term that's not good. With input remapper you can control the fans get some true cooling working and keep the temps around 40 to 45 degrees C

3. Still get a few blue screens, never know when they are going to happen, most times it will be on boot, but these are rare.

4. I haven't moved to Vista and won't for a long time, so can't comment on that OS, XP over I would say is around 87% solid with the latest version of boot camp.

Overall nice machine with XP. Only thing I would have preferred is a non internal loading DVD, but that's been the design with Mac for years plus the fact that to upgrade or replace the hard drive is a non user friendly task. It can be done, but you aren't going to do it easily.

Paul C

Kevin

I use Parallels on my Mac daily. It has come a long way in speed and compatibility. It's (almost) transparent and very reliable.