• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Spring Equinox Sky

Hauled my old Canon 5D with sensor modified to infrared along on an outing to a rural area today around noon (remembered to insert a CF card this time, Ruben). The wavelength has a way of darkening blue sky, which then tends to make any clouds in the sky very apparent. There were few clouds at the time, however, so the resulting sky is almost night-like.

original.jpg

Fenced Pasture​

I don't know if the IR darkness of the sky at noon varies with the season, but suspect if it does it would be to a minor extent.

Hauled my old Canon 5D with sensor modified to infrared along on an outing to a rural area today around noon (remembered to insert a CF card this time, Ruben). The wavelength has a way of darkening blue sky, which then tends to make any clouds in the sky very apparent. There were few clouds at the time, however, so the resulting sky is almost night-like.

original.jpg

Fenced Pasture​

I don't know if the IR darkness of the sky at noon varies with the season, but suspect if it does it would be to a minor extent.

I reckon you are right. The sky would be black if it were not for Rayleigh scattering and Tyndall scattering. Both of these processes are strongly wavelength dependent and short wavelengths, blue for example, are scattered much more than red and infrared. Hence the sky looks blue.

In the infrared the sky is effectively "black" more than a few degrees from the line of the sun.

Incidentally the lack of atmospheric infrared scattering allows the remarkable clarity of distant landscape features in your striking picture.

Ruben Alfu

Beautiful landscape Tom, I see the work of man dwarfed by the bushes in the foreground, the celestial sphere, and the pasture itself. I think that's humbling and inspiring.

Regards,

Ruben

P.S. let's make CF stand for "can't forget" :)

Maris, thank you for your comments regarding the atmosphere. Quite often conditions overhead either make or break a landscape photo, particularly here in the Midwest US. This is an incentive to learn as much as possible about how it affects available light.

Ruben, thank you for taking a look and sharing your thoughts. Converting one of my 5Ds to infrared was an expensive proposition, so I'll try to exercise its shutter a little more often this year.