Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old March 12th, 2013, 05:23 PM

I should read the posts more often.
I just came across this.
So, let me see if I have this right.
I select 6 shots and post them here.
If they meet the criteria I would need to print and matt them to one of the sizes mentioned and ship them to you, Asher.
Is it as simple as that?

http://notesfromthecamera.blogspot.com.au/
Old March 12th, 2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Adrian,

Since we need to select images for ultimate printing, please send me these files directly to editor.opfATmac.com using yousendit.com if the files are larger than 20 MB as I can't judge them as shown with the extra compression.

Thanks,

Asher
Okay. The Mt Shasta woods file is 15.1MB JPEG. The Lavender Farm with Mt Shasta in the background is 13.1MB. 2 e-mails.

-Adrian
Old March 12th, 2013, 06:51 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dinning View Post
I should read the posts more often.
I just came across this.
So, let me see if I have this right.
I select 6 shots and post them here.
If they meet the criteria I would need to print and matt them to one of the sizes mentioned and ship them to you, Asher.
Is it as simple as that?
I just selected the number 6 as it is "enough" for one section of a collection for me to get an idea of what's available in the parameters you are focussed on. But you may well have more in that same category for us to make further selections to expand/refine that category, if needed. Just that they should be selected so that it's really the best of what you'd share! If the incoming images shift the topic away from the concept of "Spaces we live in/ interact with, take control of, are special to us" and the like, we'd just reframe our ideas on what the unifying topic should be. What we want is that, given this general topic, we can assemble a broad number of ways of looking at man and space on this planet: spaces, private, public, theoretical or imaginary as long as one can show it in a compelling image.

The assembled collection will be submitted in May to the gallery. If my curating is accepted, then the exhibition will be "on" some time starting November/December 2013. Otherwise, we further refine it for early 2014.

If the standard is not high enough, we'll delay the presentation.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:22 PM

Sent the two pics in two e-mails. Let me know if you receive them.
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Wareham View Post
Sent the two pics in two e-mails. Let me know if you receive them.
100 times better!

Thanks!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
100 times better!

Thanks!

Asher
Thank you!
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:07 PM

This was the metadata from the picture in the forest: 42mm (18-135mm ef-s lens), 1250 ISO, 1/30th, and f9.

Do those seem as unusual to you as they do to me?
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Wareham View Post
This was the metadata from the picture in the forest: 42mm (18-135mm ef-s lens), 1250 ISO, 1/30th, and f9.

Do those seem as unusual to you as they do to me?
It appears you had the camera in one of the automatic modes and also may have had the auto ISO feature turned on. Certain (if not all currently produced) Canon cameras will maintain a shutter speed of 1/30 when in auto ISO mode, it's a bit of a bug, IMO. There is nothing wrong with shooting in "auto" mode, but you should familiarize yourself with how your particular camera meters light. The reflected light meter in your camera can be easily fooled by a variety of lighting situations and a heavily back-lit scene is one of them. It can make for some weird exposure settings.
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Holroyd View Post
It appears you had the camera in one of the automatic modes and also may have had the auto ISO feature turned on. Certain (if not all currently produced) Canon cameras will maintain a shutter speed of 1/30 when in auto ISO mode, it's a bit of a bug, IMO. There is nothing wrong with shooting in "auto" mode, but you should familiarize yourself with how your particular camera meters light. The reflected light meter in your camera can be easily fooled by a variety of lighting situations and a heavily back-lit scene is one of them. It can make for some weird exposure settings.
Oh no, it was on purpose. (all manual) I just was wondering if you've ended up shooting at settings like that. It seemed weird to need those settings so early in the afternoon. You know?

edit: when I was trying those settings (figuring it can't hurt to try), suddenly the picture was noticeably better ... maybe just freak conditions?
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:44 PM

I shouldn't have assumed, but those seemed to be the product of a meter trying to average a high contrast scene and defaulting to it's programming. Were you using a tripod? I ask because 1/30 of a second is a slower shutter speed than most could hold steadily with a DSLR, even at a focal length of 42mm.
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I shouldn't have assumed, but those seemed to be the product of a meter trying to average a high contrast scene and defaulting to it's programming. Were you using a tripod? I ask because 1/30 of a second is a slower shutter speed than most could hold steadily with a DSLR, even at a focal length of 42mm.
I leaned it against a tree, and held from underneath. I guess I have steady hands, though, because I do a LOT of night photography at 1/30th and 50mm with that 60D. I seldom need more than a 3200 ISO even at night. So needing almost half that in the day felt weird, but was the difference between f1.4 and f9.0 ... lol
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:15 PM

What are we missing here? School yards, prison yards, railway yards (post #52), thank you michael!!...... warehouses, barns, .........?

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I just selected the number 6 as it is "enough" for one section of a collection for me to get an idea of what's available in the parameters you are focussed on. But you may well have more in that same category for us to make further selections to expand/refine that category, if needed. Just that they should be selected so that it's really the best of what you'd share! If the incoming images shift the topic away from the concept of "Spaces we live in/ interact with, take control of, are special to us" and the like, we'd just reframe our ideas on what the unifying topic should be. What we want is that, given this general topic, we can assemble a broad number of ways of looking at man and space on this planet: spaces, private, public, theoretical or imaginary as long as one can show it in a compelling image.

The assembled collection will be submitted in May to the gallery. If my curating is accepted, then the exhibition will be "on" some time starting November/December 2013. Otherwise, we further refine it for early 2014.

If the standard is not high enough, we'll delay the presentation.

Asher
Thanks, Asher.

http://notesfromthecamera.blogspot.com.au/
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:38 PM

Since I see pictures taken in a fancy fair, let me add this series I had already posted some time ago on the forum:

Old March 13th, 2013, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
Since I see pictures taken in a fancy fair, let me add this series I had already posted some time ago on the forum:
Exactly the idea, Jerome!

We need everyone to act on their own impulse to see connections and announce them. That way we inform each other and expand the motif. Afterwards, if need be we can slay our darlings!

Asher

Old March 13th, 2013, 01:02 PM

Default People in the street

Only two:

Best regards,
Michael
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Nagel View Post
Only two:
Best regards,
Michael

I wonder how is it that some images manage to have a sense of space, like the second picture. What do you think it is and how do we hone in on this quality?

Asher

Old March 14th, 2013, 07:54 AM

Things seem to be swinging toward urban landscape, lots of spaces and few souls to be seen. With that in mind, I offer the following. As always, I am open to any comments and/or criticism.

Theme: Urban environmental (whatever)
Medium: To be determined

Untitled, Milan, 2012

Untitled, Milan, 2012

Untitled, Paris, 2013

Untitled, Paris, 2013

Untitled, Paris, 2013
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
[CENTER]

Impressive, Terry!

Very much so! numbers one and five gave me goose bumps they're so good!

Asher
Dude! Thanks so much! Really honored to hear that.

There is a cool back story to this set. I'm trying to finish another folio of these in the next few days/weeks and get it out.

Seriously thanks man!
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Things seem to be swinging toward urban landscape, lots of spaces and few souls to be seen. With that in mind, I offer the following. As always, I am open to any comments and/or criticism.

Theme: Urban environmental (whatever)
Medium: To be determined

Untitled, Milan, 2012

Untitled, Milan, 2012

Untitled, Paris, 2013

Untitled, Paris, 2013

Untitled, Paris, 2013

MAN! I love Milan! That street scene rocks! The others are really spectacular too. But that one jumped out of my monitor and slapped me silly!
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:

WOW....love those colors! Looks a lot like pigment over platinum prints....
Old March 14th, 2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lee View Post
WOW....love those colors! Looks a lot like pigment over platinum prints....

Terry,

I was thinking I'd seen that color palette before; very special indeed and exactly as our good friend Jim Collum does! Look at his work in exhibition here in post #5.

Thanks for recognizing this modern-classic approach of pigment over platinum.

Asher

Old March 14th, 2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Terry,

I was thinking I'd seen that color palette before; very special indeed and exactly as our good friend Jim Collum does! Look at his work in exhibition here in post #5.

Thanks for recognizing this modern-classic approach of pigment over platinum.

Asher
EXACTLY!

I love the look....AMAZING and a TON of hard work...but the results are well worth it.
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Terry,

For the record, I took my pictures and published them on this forum about 2 years before the thread from Jim Collum.
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
For the record, I took my pictures and published them on this forum about 2 years before the thread from Jim Collum.
Jerome,

Only the color palettes and fair equipment are similar. The locations and techniques are so different and each photographer's work is unique and has it's own charm. Still, by coincidence of similarity, they do seem related, just as romantic sunsets and images of the Eiffel tower or London Bridge. There's no evidence that one was influenced by the other. If one has good esthetics and has a background in taking pictures of architecture, respecting form, (at which both these photographers are so accomplished), then these careful, orthogonally made pictures would be the esthetic chosen. I would not shoot like that as I'd go for some special angle or ultra-wide. It so happens that we have two fine photographers who know structure very well. nothing more, nothing less. But the pictures are different!

Asher

Old March 14th, 2013, 11:37 PM

Location: Willimantic, CT, the Quiet Corner of Northeast CT in southern New England

Whoa! Am I ever late showing up! I've been (slowly) working on light and lighting techiniques since late January, mostly with people. I've been pretty much keeping to myself since then. I haven't even read the whole thread yet, but it's definitely now scheduled for tomorrow! Then I'll have to do some thinking about what to submit. Are all the urban/outdoor images taking over as an overall theme or would some people fit it as another category?

Jean
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Only the color palettes and fair equipment are similar. The locations and techniques are so different and each photographer's work is unique and has it's own charm. Still, by coincidence of similarity, they do seem related.
It could be a coincidence.

Old March 15th, 2013, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lee View Post
MAN! I love Milan! That street scene rocks! The others are really spectacular too. But that one jumped out of my monitor and slapped me silly!
Thank you, Terry. That is one of my favorites from Milan.
Old April 1st, 2013, 01:43 PM

A boost to remind folk, we're still in need of images: large spaces, tiny spaces, personal or imaginary.

Also if you have other great stuff, (no nudes this time), we'll try to modify the title. In the end the curating task is to classify images so our collection appears as one entity joined together by sub-themes and /motifs.

Your support is appreciated.

Asher

Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:48 PM

OK, I have two more sets, I'll start with Venice (not the touristy stuff except maybe the first one):

Best regards,
Michael