Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old February 25th, 2016, 02:32 PM

Default It took a while, but here is the Pentax K-1

After the decision not to put the MZ-D into series production in 2000 - it had the same 6 megapixel 24x36mm sensor from Philips like the Contax N Digital (which is probably one of the reasons why Contax is no more) - it took almost 16 years until the K-1 appeared.

The camera has the same sensor like the D800.

This is certainly not a revolutionary camera, but there are some interesting features.

I wonder if Nicolas has already put hands on it.

Best regards,
Michael
Old February 25th, 2016, 06:10 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

I'd say that the ability to routinely fuse a series of images and get a more detail rich result would be revolutionary in a standard production camera in this price range. Doubtless you can tell me that this feature is already available in a slew of cameras that I have missed. But for me, it's revolutionary that so many superb camera models are using Sony sensors and that will force Canon to bring out their own more advanced sensors earlier than they otherwise would do.

Adding up the influence of Nikon, Pentax, Phase One-Leaf and Leica to the block of technical prowess standing up to Canon, means that Canon might get nudged to release its Foveon-like CMOS sensors and also perhaps bring us to 16 BIT processing of the files.

Anyway, I have a great love of Pentax cameras. I still use my Spotmatic on rare occasions and acquire the lenses for use on my Sony A7 R.

Bravo to Pentax for this camera coming in at such a generously reasonable price!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 26th, 2016, 04:53 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Nagel View Post

I wonder if Nicolas has already put hands on it.

Best regards,
Michael
Not yet! But sure, it seems to be a pretty nice camera!
Old September 17th, 2016, 12:17 PM

Here is the DxOMark Result for the K-1.

The price/performance ratio is outstanding according to the results when comparing to the other cameras in the same range.

Best regards,
Michael