Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Themes

Themes Post the best of your favorites in our "Themes". Brief Comments only!

Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:52 AM

Default Reflections with impact!

Not happy with IQ, but I like the way this reflection makes a sort of caricature of three landmark buildings in NY.

Ruben Alfu : New Yorker

Old February 2nd, 2010, 11:39 AM

This is a scene/location with good potential, Ruben! Now you should return and wait. What you've shot is in the "close-but-not-a-photo-yet" category. The lower four panes need to show something like passers-by. I'd also love to see a plane in one of the upper 4 panes.

I think what many photo enthusiasts with cameras on the street don't understand is that good "street" photography is very often about waiting for a scene to develop. It's generally not a matter of pure happenstance. Familiarity with locations, human nature, and local customs is what often leads to one terrific image. You might find a good location, such as this, but so what? That's only a stage set. The next challenge is to determine the right time of day/year and to wait for just the right combination of elements to come together. I have several images that have taken me up to two years to create by revisiting scenes and waiting, and waiting, and waiting,....

Keep at it, Ruben. You have a good nose for the hunt.

p.s. If you want to see a nice exposition of some of my remarks watch this William Klein video in which he discusses his shot selections using some of his contact sheets.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:59 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Tanaka View Post
This is a scene/location with good potential, Ruben! Now you should return and wait. What you've shot is in the "close-but-not-a-photo-yet" category. The lower four panes need to show something like passers-by. I'd also love to see a plane in one of the upper 4 panes.

I think what many photo enthusiasts with cameras on the street don't understand is that good "street" photography is very often about waiting for a scene to develop. It's generally not a matter of pure happenstance. Familiarity with locations, human nature, and local customs is what often leads to one terrific image. You might find a good location, such as this, but so what? That's only a stage set. The next challenge is to determine the right time of day/year and to wait for just the right combination of elements to come together. I have several images that have taken me up to two years to create by revisiting scenes and waiting, and waiting, and waiting,....

p.s. If you want to see a nice exposition of some of my remarks watch this William Klein video in which he discusses his shot selections using some of his contact sheets.
Apart from Bresson and Cappa and the like, much of the iconic images that we think are spontaneous are not gifts from God but the result of plodding hard work of refinement.

So thanks for adding the prod for our efforts to go the extra measure to move from good to excellent and then to outstanding. That means working, planning and waiting like a hunter or master thief!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:52 PM

This is not at all in the same vein, but it IS a reflection and was a lot of fun. It ain't art, but fun counts for something!

ISO 800 (Rebel XTi), 1/200, 60mm, f/2.8.

Jacob Eliana: Egg On Top Old Piano
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Foster View Post
This is not at all in the same vein, but it IS a reflection and was a lot of fun. It ain't art, but fun counts for something!

ISO 800 (Rebel XTi), 1/200, 60mm, f/2.8.

Jacob Eliana: Egg On Top Old Piano
Rachel,

That's the germ of the concept. Now might it spark your imagination to go further? Draw on top of a B&W photocopy of the print. Reread Ken's post. Just for now, nice try!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:16 PM

I don't think the reflection makes this image, but I do think it adds to it substantially. I just happened to have it handy... it's an old image shot with... gasp... film. One of my favorites.

Nill
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:20 PM

Lovely, Nill.

Asher, that is a lost opportunity. I did that last year on my old, beat-up piano (which someone set on fire a few months before when I was shooting candles on the piano bench!). I now have a Kuwai K3 upright and I begin to break out in hives if anyone breathes on it!
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nill Toulme View Post
I don't think the reflection makes this image, but I do think it adds to it substantially. I just happened to have it handy... it's an old image shot with... gasp... film. One of my favorites.

Nill Toulme Reflected

Nill,

This picture will be best, to my mind, printed very large with the waves at eye level. Then one is faced with the reflection just below the waves and it's so impressive. The water attracts attention but the bather intrigues and so we get drawn in and that's splendid when it happens. The colors work very well. It's also soothing and reflective in itself. The composition, itself could lock you in the darkroom for months there are so many rich possibilities in what one would think is so simple.

Thanks for adding to this theme,

Asher

Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Tanaka View Post

Hello Ken, I truly appreciate your interest in this image as well as your advices and words of encouragement. This particular reflection was very familiar to me, I had it on my mind for quite some time before going there to do this photo. I was moved exclusively by the way these iconic buildings, with such a grandiose aura, were "caricatured" by the windows. The space around the buildings is just a frame, and it helps to make them look less dominant, to stress the irony of the irreverent windows.

Thanks so much for the William Klein video link.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:57 AM

Using reflections expands space and objects, while keeping them natural - whithout technical cheats.

The reflections on the next example create a poetic counterpart to the rough construction; that shot has been printed as a new years card for a museum:

The other possibility shows the reflections only - hiding the object (construction) itself. It's just a photo of the concrete floor covered with water.

It will become a large print - laying horizontally on a socle for a exhibition. You will see it as it was taken, looking to the ground......

Old February 4th, 2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Fontana View Post
[CENTER]Using reflections expands space and objects, while keeping them natural - whithout technical cheats. The reflections on the next example create a poetic counterpart to the rough construction; that shot has been printed as a new years card for a museum:

Michael Fontana: Expanding Space #1

Michael,

Impressive work, simple & effective! The hard concrete floor seeming to float and becomes the center of something that might move to explore the planet. Reflections not only help to make our 3D world recognizable and extend our vision beyond the camera or behind a subject, it also has the opportunity, as here, to transform a hard solid structure to something ethereal. That ability to go beyond what was there to allow the observer to fill in the blank spaces in this new universe, is one of the delights of imaginative art. It does not, as in this case, require any beauty or purpose beyond being.

Michael Fontana: Expanding Space #2

You have kindly left one leaf in the right hand corner to help orientate us that the picture is a reflection.

Old February 4th, 2010, 04:05 PM

Yes, I love the leaf.
Old February 5th, 2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
........ That ability to go beyond what was there to allow the observer to fill in the blank spaces in this new universe, is one of the delights of imaginative art. It does not, as in this case, require any beauty or purpose beyond being.
Thanks Asher
you' re not the first using that type of description - some thought it beeing a montage, but realising on a 2nd view that its just real - when they recognized the tower in the background.
The reason for shooting a night is, that that photos's view is pointing south - a nono during day in the winter season.

Sidenote for the color: city and sky are lighted just with the cities ambient light, meanwhile the construction' site light is the add at the cranes top-back. There weren't many options.

Quote:
You have kindly left one leaf in the right hand corner to help orientate us that the picture is a reflection.
There's no reason to take it away. If you move skycranes for some photos you don't bother with leaves.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Stratton View Post
I am used to taking "flat", very square and centered pictures. The photography class I am taking is challenging me to change my perspective. Please let me know what you think of these.

Wayne Stratton: "Phantom of the Opera"

I added this picture by Wayne from his thread here. I really like the chance finding of the halloween cloud. Maybe it's saying something. The facets of the glass break things up in an interesting way and show ways in which we can construct creatively.

Old February 4th, 2010, 11:51 AM

I liked that shot of Wayne's, too, Asher.

I've been trying to create a new reflection photo for this thread. This is what I've come up with. It isn't "art," but I'm putting it in the fun category. It's a candle holder filled with glass pebbles sitting on the keyboard cover of my piano.

ISO 6400, f/4.0, 1/50, handheld. I was not able to "get" what I wanted while attached to tripod.

Jacob Eliana: Piano Reflections
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:23 PM

I"m not sure if this qualifies but it caught my eye on that particular day.

Blog: http://blog.bruttle.net/
Gallery(s): Googles Picasa

Last edited by Asher Kelman; February 4th, 2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:58 PM

Got a hand me down iPhone that upgrades me from a 3G to a 4G

Asher Kelman: Black SUV

Beverly Hills, CA, December 2012

iPhone 4G

Asher

Old December 16th, 2012, 12:04 PM

In keeping with the automobile thread I have this. I too like the details but sometimes you get more than you bargained for!

Old December 16th, 2012, 03:59 PM

with the Cell phone

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakekleinphotography/
Old December 16th, 2012, 04:01 PM

Old December 16th, 2012, 04:06 PM

Old December 16th, 2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Robinson View Post
In keeping with the automobile thread I have this. I too like the details but sometimes you get more than you bargained for!

Steve,

This is so Robust! Excellent!

Asher

Old January 17th, 2014, 11:51 PM

Old January 18th, 2014, 03:02 AM

Jesse,

With your approval, I hope, I've moved your 3 new pictures to rejuvenate this theme on "Reflections with Impact". Your work certainly fits in here very well!

Asher

Old February 11th, 2014, 04:50 PM

Looking through these has given me an urge to shoot eggs again.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 02:17 AM

Default In the other sense of the word...

Reginald
Old April 23rd, 2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Johnson View Post
"....in other words..."

Reginald,

I like the association and wordplay!

Asher

Old April 23rd, 2017, 04:00 PM
Administrator

S. Francisco, CA / USA
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
Old April 24th, 2017, 04:13 AM

Hi

Tryptichon

Old April 24th, 2017, 04:57 AM

Helvetinjärvi National Park