Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Sales, Exhibitions and Web Presence

Sales, Exhibitions and Web Presence Discussion of commerce models and processes by which Photography reaches clients and the public.

Old March 13th, 2011, 08:33 AM

Smile New book "Présences" !

Hi,

I didn't visit you for a very long time... as i was working on a book project that i am glad to present today !

This book is a set of 55 urban pictures which aim to give a distant vision of modern urban life. Please feel free to have a look on it !

Best regards,

Cedric.
Old March 13th, 2011, 08:42 AM

HI, just had a look and I love it...particularly the BW...
did you do the layout it with bookify or via PDFs?
Old March 13th, 2011, 09:03 AM
pro member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedric MASSOULIER View Post
Hi,

I didn't visit you for a very long time... as i was working on a book project that i am glad to present today !

This book is a set of 55 urban pictures which aim to give a distant vision of modern urban life. Please feel free to have a look on it !
Hi Cedric,

Congratulations! It's a lot of work preparing for such a publication, but when it's done, you have something tangible to show for it. It looks fine. It's a pitty that a few pages are blank, presumably to indicate the start of a different series. Maybe a short text there could fill the empty space, and make the transition less abrupt.

Cheers,
Bart
Old March 13th, 2011, 11:42 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Congratulations Cedric,

I recognize a lot of the pictures. Your choice of the standard horizontal format allows you to set a price of about $45 so that it's not too much of an expense for folk to purchase to get to have your photography to see in print form. From my ownership of Nicolas' new book by Blurb too, I feel that the quality of the color is really excellent and this is a good route to go for self publication.

I just wish there could be something as good to deliver a book for $25!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old March 13th, 2011, 12:50 PM

It's very well set out and presented. I particularly liked the truck tyre in the woods and the little girl with the bubbles (very a la Pink Floyd!).

I want to do a Blurb book for my NZ images but am finding it a very daunting project. Must knuckle down.
Old March 13th, 2011, 02:20 PM

Hi, Cedric,

Quote:
Hi,

Just a quick look so far but it seems lovely.

How did the publication via blurb work out?

What will the basic retail price be?

Best regards,

Doug
Old March 14th, 2011, 02:20 PM

Hi Cedric,

Congratulations, you have done really well with this collection. I have seen many of the pictures in the book earlier here in OPF, but together they stand much stronger.

Amitiés,

flickr
website
Old March 16th, 2011, 02:12 PM

Hi,

Thank you all for your feedbacks !

This book has been realized using BookSmart, this software is quite usefull when you want to realize a classical book without a special template. I spent of a lot of time before to make a good selection in Lightroom, and i have made several mocks with BookSmart.

Cédric.
Old March 20th, 2011, 08:45 PM
pro member

Very nice, Cedric. Congratulations. I know this requires quite a bit of effort.

I particularly like how you selected 'matching pairs' of photographs for left-right facing pages and how you left the left page blank when there was no pairing.
Old March 20th, 2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Briot View Post
Very nice, Cedric. Congratulations. I know this requires quite a bit of effort.

I particularly like how you selected 'matching pairs' of photographs for left-right facing pages and how you left the left page blank when there was no pairing.
Yes,

I agree that this layout is most effective. One thing I wonder about is what to do about panoramas. Where it crosses the center in a two page spread, there can be a large dip which hides about 2-3 cm of the picture. Is there a book company that allows for fold-out pages, so one can have the picture extending from one sheet without having to cover two separate pages?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old March 21st, 2011, 12:22 AM
pro member

Not that I know.

Panoramics are problematic for publishing. If you make an entire book of panoramas the format gets tiring after a while. If you do a regular format book, the panoramics look really small on the page.
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:03 PM

Hi Cedric

I like it very much. Good work, nicely pulled together.

I have a couple of questions.

How big will the book be and have you considered making a handbound copy using a good printer and paper? I've done a couple of these for friends in the past and they can be really exciting pieces.

Mike
Old March 21st, 2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Briot View Post
Not that I know.

Panoramics are problematic for publishing. If you make an entire book of panoramas the format gets tiring after a while. If you do a regular format book, the panoramics look really small on the page.
That's why a foldout would be perfect! I've designed a brochure book which has a half page fold out of the first inside page. It works very well. I never asked if they could do it beforehand, but that was a commercial printer and the booklet is not bound.

Asher

Old May 25th, 2011, 12:55 AM

Cedric Massoulier is a most talented Parisien photographer with a uncanny knack for filtering out most of the clutter of life and then preserving for us glimpses which represent so much of our culture. There's a great advantage of a French upbringing with access to thinkers. This heritage is evident in his choices. The pages in the book are artfully ordered with many levels or relationships between facing and following pages. Even though I know some of the works already, their positioning in the book makes even these dear pictures new to me.

I recommend this book, not only for its beauty, but also as an inspiration for photographers who want to develop their own voice.

Great job, Cedric!

Asher

Old December 29th, 2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Best regards,

Cedric.

Cedric Massoulier: Présences

Screenshot of the photobook published on Blurb.

I want to draw attention to this delightful self-published book. It is in itself beaiutiful as a window into one French Photographer's world. Also it shows what is possible for each of us.

Asher