Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Film, Platinum, Polaroid & other Analog media

Old August 6th, 2018, 08:59 PM

Default Soft focus. Again.

Taken on a very hot smokey Aug. 4rth in Goldfield Nevada at the Goldfield Palace.

Rodenstock Imagon 30CM lens on full plate film.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com
Old August 7th, 2018, 12:29 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post

Taken on a very hot smokey Aug. 4rth in Goldfield Nevada at the Goldfield Palace.

Rodenstock Imagon 30CM lens on full plate film.
That changed our social
Is this full plate glass or aircraft roll film cut to that size?

Anyway, Jim, it’s a privilege and thrill to have your photographs liven our pages.

I feel guilty myself in not investing my skill in the film cameras I have. It’s important that we do have folk among us who can preserve the classic skills to make photography in the way it was established as a medium.

The soft focus lens produces in the original the central focus and drop off that skill photography technicians had to perform in darkroom.

However, it is an acquired taste. Today, lenses which are uniform in contrast and sharpness to the edges are considered superior. To me however, these while fine for documenting crime scenes or doing photoprogrammetry to create 3D computer models, for portraits and landscapes, I would commend to all to consider esthetic sense of “treasuring a subject” that soft focus might bring tovan otherwise ordinary scene.

Both Jim Galli and Dr Klaus Schmitt have over the years collected some of the finest soft focus lenses as well as repurposed inexpensive commercial projector lenses to deliver a range of interesting soft focus effects.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 7th, 2018, 10:56 AM

Thanks Asher. This is Aerial Recon Panatomic X cut to 6.5X8.5 inches.

Old August 7th, 2018, 11:04 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
Thanks Asher. This is Aerial Recon Panatomic X cut to 6.5X8.5 inches.
Great,

Even at 77 my memory is intact!

....but for a moment I did imagine you actually making your own plates!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 7th, 2018, 11:06 AM

Insanity has it's limits.

Old September 17th, 2018, 12:44 AM

Nice work Jim, I really like it!
Old September 17th, 2018, 10:00 AM

Thanks Klaus.

Old September 17th, 2018, 04:26 PM

An image that is certainly fitting of a Nevada ghost town of yore. And such an obscure subject, an early truck manufactured by the company that would come to be known simply as FWD. They were the very first to engineer an All Wheel Drive system (vs. Four Wheel Drive.)