Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > Medium Format & Large Format Cameras > Shooting with a Pentax 645 D MF camera

Old July 5th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Default Shooting dishes prepared by Michelin starred chef with a Pentax 645D - Session 2

A short while ago, we shot for the second time food images for the Saint-James’ (Bouliac) starred chef Nicolas Magie and his pastry partner Sebastien Bertin …
(first shoot was shown here).

A work with the 645 D for which the 55mm, stabilized 90mm, 90-160mm and 300 mm lens were used.
ƒ14 and ISO 200 were de rigueur (with some exceptions).

No faking in post-production, no superposition but stifling heat: 30°c (86° Fahrenheit) under the shade! Sometimes one has to work fast …

You can see more and comment there

Old July 5th, 2014, 09:49 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Claris View Post
A short while ago, we shot for the second time food images for the Saint-James’ (Bouliac) starred chef Nicolas Magie and his pastry partner Sebastien Bertin …
(first shoot was shown here).

A work with the 645 D for which the 55mm, stabilized 90mm, 90-160mm and 300 mm lens were used.
ƒ14 and ISO 200 were de rigueur (with some exceptions).

No faking in post-production, no superposition but stifling heat: 30°c (86° Fahrenheit) under the shade! Sometimes one has to work fast …

You can see more and comment there

Nicolas,

This is a tour e force!

I am so impressed with the originality to move your point of view, crouched down, to be able to get this special effect of a river-like reflection.

This is an excuse to share with us findings as to the purpose and value of the lenses you have cited, especially the image stabilized 90 mm. What couldn't you do here with this one lens?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 6th, 2014, 04:41 AM
Administrator/Moderator

More here
Old July 6th, 2014, 07:03 AM

Interesting that I just read an article about the 645Z and while they found it to be a nice second place finish to the Hassy, they didn't find it to be nearly "overly better" than the D800 at a substantially reduced cash output. Though, as all have pointed out, medium format is pretty hard to beat.
Old July 6th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Calohan View Post
Interesting that I just read an article about the 645Z and while they found it to be a nice second place finish to the Hassy, they didn't find it to be nearly "overly better" than the D800 at a substantially reduced cash output. Though, as all have pointed out, medium format is pretty hard to beat.
Hi Chris
And what you see here is not out of a Z but from a D… : D
Old July 6th, 2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Calohan View Post
Chris,

Perhaps you refer to this two part Pentax 645Z review Part I and Part II. The author included the 645D too. If the D800 is close to the 645Z then the Sony A7r must also be in that class too. Moreover, the A7r has stellar 35mm and 55mm AF Zeiss lenses. Still, Pentax has the new stabilized 90mm and that does seem like an exceptional practical advantage.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 6th, 2014, 09:29 AM

The Zeiss lenses will make a difference pretty much no matter the platform. I shot a 21mm Zeiss a few weeks ago and thought I was going to wet myself when I saw the results. Maybe I should have bought a few of them instead of a monster RV...silly me.

My review came from this article: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s_review.shtml
Old July 6th, 2014, 01:27 PM

Michael Reichman is a great photographic workshop and adventure host as well as a particularly insightful and skilled photographer. However, Nicolas earns his bread and butter with his choice of cameras, so that "1 college grade difference" of the MF digital over the D800 must be significant.

BTW, MR, seems to have fallen for the Sony A7r and then there would be little incentive to change for work that is not going to be printed above 1 meter tall. The A7r is rather slow, I'd imagine for shooting boats from a helicopter, whereas the Pentax 645Z has direct optical contact with the moving boat at all times. Under these battle conditions, Pentax wins with immediate availability of more long AF lenses that will work natively and reliably. The Sony A7r would give pristine pictures with the 35mm and 55mm lenses and one would just have to manage with this range if one is to remain with stellar optics.

Still, anyone who succeeded with a Canon 1Ds of any vintage, would do superbly with any of these new cameras!

Asher