Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Moving Pictures and Sound Recording

Moving Pictures and Sound Recording Still/Video Camera & Slide Show movies also Sound for such Production!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,779
Default Hints on Tethered-Movie Recording with the 5DII and other Canon DSLR's

I wonder how many of us are actually using the video capabilities fully?

We are starting to use the HD movie capability of the 5DII and would folk to share experience using the 5DII or other canon DSLR users have with remote storage of the files on the computer's Hard Drive?

Are there special concerns to be taken into account?

What happens to the 4G limit?

Does the camera just start a new movie clip or one has to intervene in some way after 4GB or 29 min and 59 secs?

How useful are still taken during the movie? Worthwhile or sorry you did it?

Thanks,

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Frank Doorhof Frank Doorhof is offline
pro member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Emmeloord, the Netherlands
Posts: 517
Default

Hi,
Not fully yet, but working on it.

Storage in todays world is not really a problem, a problem is shooting and keeping too much
We run several drives in external towers on S-Ata and up until now we upgrade every year to twice the size drives and keep it organized that way.
Best tip is to not store too much on smaller drives but upgrade.

I never hit the 4G mark, normally when I film it's not above 10-20 seconds sometimes a bit more.

Stills can be seen during the playback so I shoot those loose from filming.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Doorhof View Post
Hi,
Not fully yet, but working on it.

Storage in todays world is not really a problem, a problem is shooting and keeping too much
We run several drives in external towers on S-Ata and up until now we upgrade every year to twice the size drives and keep it organized that way.
Best tip is to not store too much on smaller drives but upgrade.

I never hit the 4G mark, normally when I film it's not above 10-20 seconds sometimes a bit more.

Stills can be seen during the playback so I shoot those loose from filming.

What's amazing is the money the videographers spend on steadycams, fittings to pull focus manually and it seems whole new industries are growing ot take advantage of the DLLR's with their relatively massive sensors and lenses for 1/10 of the price of video lenses.

Frankly I'd like one of these setups for taking still pictures and getting less hand fatigue!

From what I've seen Canon tens to have more red in the images and the bright end is not as rich in detail as film.

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Ken Tanaka Ken Tanaka is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
What's amazing is the money the videographers spend on steadycams, fittings to pull focus manually and it seems whole new industries are growing ot take advantage of the DLLR's with their relatively massive sensors and lenses for 1/10 of the price of video lenses.
Having returned to still photography from filmmaking/videography I really have no interest in re-entering that world. It's a blast but at an amateur level it's a blast best suited for kids/younger people with large networks of free (beer & pizza) labor.

You're right, though, about the unexpected arm-shot that these full-frame cameras are giving to the peripheral businesses. I'm suddenly getting deluges with emails and postal mails from companies that I used to use who are introducing new lines devoted to these cameras. BTW, the folks over in the pro video departments of Canon can't be too thrilled. They made a great deal of cash from their prosumer video cameras but perhaps more from their professional video lens line. Ooops.

Quote:
Frankly I'd like one of these setups for taking still pictures and getting less hand fatigue!
Not really. The shoulder/chest/hand braces that are being resurrected are designed to provide a steadier shot but require a completely different ergonomic model for using the camera. It would be a compromise, at best.

Quote:
From what I've seen Canon tens to have more red in the images and the bright end is not as rich in detail as film.

Asher
Canon video cameras have always had a warmer image than its nearest competitor, Sony. The pro Panasonics had the most neutral image.
__________________
- Ken Tanaka -
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old July 30th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Tanaka View Post
Having returned to still photography from filmmaking/videography I really have no interest in re-entering that world. It's a blast but at an amateur level it's a blast best suited for kids/younger people with large networks of free (beer & pizza) labor.
Ken,

Large production companies seem to have the beer and pizza to make it work too, LOL! "Lost" and other TV series were made with Canon 5DI video: lower productions costs and if the control the highlights, better video with amazing variety of lenses.

My interest in Video is so modest that no pzza or beer are required, . It's limited to that small need to be sufficiently competent to also record special events in video, so that foundations and benefactors can be shown stellar virtuosos age 7 to 24 and have their hearts melt and wallets opened generously. I'm not sure that it will be more effective that still photos and music but maybe in 20 minute presentation several 1 minute moves will just do the trick.

Also, to show a setup or teaching, the video might have advantages.

The main focus of what I do and the focus of OPF is the still picture, as creative as we can.

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Ken Tanaka Ken Tanaka is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,300
Default

Just before I decided to exit filmmaking in 2004 I was -this close- (pinching fingers) to investing nearly $100,000 in either a Sony CineAlta rig or one of the (then new) Panasonic Varicams. The prices (and sizes) of each have since dropped markedly. But, more to the point, the Canon 5DII can do nearly the same job at a tiny fraction of the cost. Whew, glad I came to my senses and decided against a production company. It would have been a money pit.
__________________
- Ken Tanaka -
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Tanaka View Post
Just before I decided to exit filmmaking in 2004 I was -this close- (pinching fingers) to investing nearly $100,000 in either a Sony CineAlta rig or one of the (then new) Panasonic Varicams. The prices (and sizes) of each have since dropped markedly. But, more to the point, the Canon 5DII can do nearly the same job at a tiny fraction of the cost. Whew, glad I came to my senses and decided against a production company. It would have been a money pit.
The truth is, Ken, folk like us who need the money, (meaning we can't just drop such sums and not bother if it's lost), should only get into a project that will start pulling in money from day one and also pay for itself in 5 years. Investment banks, however, can put millions into a project and do not miss a wink of sleep f it goes under. They have 20-30 such projects and they might need just 3-4 to pay off 10-50 fold for their lives to be comfortable. They take risks with their investors money.

It's so tempting to buy, "stuff". There's a great satisfaction in owning fine or impressively designed things. The best thing is to get into a habit renting from someone else who took that $100,000 risk.

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old August 1st, 2010, 07:00 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,779
Default

Back on topic!

How do you record on to the computer hard drive using Eos Utility. Where's the dialog box for movies?

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:44 AM
Frank Doorhof Frank Doorhof is offline
pro member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Emmeloord, the Netherlands
Posts: 517
Default

I for one never use the tethered option.
I connect the HDMI to a big screen TV in the studio and watch from there, only problem as soon as the recording starts it's SD, so if there are good movie tethered solutions tell me
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:04 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Doorhof View Post
I for one never use the tethered option.
I connect the HDMI to a big screen TV in the studio and watch from there, only problem as soon as the recording starts it's SD, so if there are good movie tethered solutions tell me
What's SD stand for?

When you shoot on the 5DII it has a limit of 4GB and 29 minutes and 29 seconds, whichever comes first. Does it start a new clip or one has to restart it?

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Posting images or text grants license to OPF, yet of such remain with its creator. Still, all assembled discussion 2006-2017 Asher Kelman (all rights reserved) Posts with new theme or unusual image might be moved/copied to a new thread!