Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Wildlife

Wildlife Any creature of the wild: in the air, sea, on safari or your backyard!.

Old December 25th, 2017, 03:45 PM

Default Tawny-bellied Hermit

This is not autobiographical it's the name of the bird.

Old December 25th, 2017, 06:28 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dexter View Post
This is not autobiographical it's the name of the bird.

What a superb little bird! These creatures are amazing in their habit of doing the lek, some kind of group males assmebly of dance, shuffle and sound to attract the females to get an offer to mate!

The females do the rearing of the young. All the gut has to do is dance well!

Wonderful life!

If you are not dinner for a hawk!

That beaks is superb. I guess it can forage in the undergrowth for insects and also drink nectar.

Is this a juvenile or a female with no colored rump?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old December 25th, 2017, 07:07 PM

I should have given more information. It is a hummingbird and that beak allows it to draw nectar from deep curved tube flowers.They are not sexually dimorphic so can't tell if it's male or female.
Old December 25th, 2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dexter View Post
I should have given more information. It is a hummingbird and that beak allows it to draw nectar from deep curved tube flowers.They are not sexually dimorphic so can't tell if it's male or female.

I should have been more careful, LOL. I thought this was correct and that they are dimorphous:

"This long-billed hermit forages low in the interior of humid and wet forest undergrowth, searching for nectar and arthropods. Males gather at leks for part of the year where they make a squeaky, repeated tseep numerous times each minute. Both sexes have long, white central tail feathers and males boast a bright rufous-orange rump. In Colombia, Tawny-bellied Hermits are the only hermit of the genus Phaethornis restricted to the highlands."

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old December 26th, 2017, 04:26 AM

Thanks for that correction Asher, I don't often get a chance to observe them but will look more closely at that rump when I do
Old December 27th, 2017, 08:02 PM

I am no expert, Peter, just trying to catch up!

This is a fascinating bird. What is amazing is how the males benefit by dancing together but dont find it worthwhile to stick around to look after their offspring once the feamle is done with them!

Asher