Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography

Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography Photography as a visual artform open to any serious picture, where classical photography is the mode of our expression. Open to all! Not curated. For works intended for clients and galleries submit to GALLERY ONE.

Old February 5th, 2018, 05:19 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Flowers for a Missing Muse III: Lilies!

The previous Flowers for a Muse, who cancelled, lasted a week. I still managed to get some great Southern morning light for shots with them.

So I booked my new collaborator, Stephanie and Wendy, my wife, kindly bought lilies. But Stephanie took sick with the 'flu. So I again I used them for myself. This time witha gold reflector to put some front light on the backlit flowers. That was a great improvement and becasue it got rid of extreme highlights by illuminating the shadows, I was able to tame the high dynamic range of the lighting.

Asher Kelman: Tiger Lilies and fruit

Fuji GFX 32-64
32.6mm, 1/300sec, f6.2, ISO 200
Photoshop CC from RAW
Nik Output Sharpening

Enjoy,

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.

Last edited by Asher Kelman; February 5th, 2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old February 5th, 2018, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Another beautifully composed photograph by our great mentor Asher !
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
Old February 5th, 2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
Another beautifully composed photograph by our great mentor Asher !
That is too kind, coming from the only photographer whose work stopped in his tracks the head of the National Portrait Gallery, when he passed through our Los Anglele "OPF Gallery One" exhibit back in 2015!

Fortunately here, we are able to learn from each other and I have benefitted the most in that respect.

....and by the way, your dear wife, Luisa has an equal talent for natural photography, (in India), that probably cannot be taught!

Still, I do like you visiting and take the compliment as a very generous gesture from a photographer who I admire

......... and also has the best seafood market and most wonderful estuary by his home, I have ever seen in my life!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:07 PM

Hi, Asher,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
The previous Flowers for a Muse, who cancelled, lasted a week. I still managed to get some great Southern morning light for shots with them.

So I booked my new collaborator, Stephanie and Wendy, my wife, kindly bought lilies. But Stephanie took sick with the 'flu. So I again I used them for myself. This time witha gold reflector to put some front light on the backlit flowers. That was a great improvement and becasue it got rid of extreme highlights by illuminating the shadows, I was able to tame the high dynamic range of the lighting.

Asher Kelman: Lilies and fruit

Fuji GFX 32-64
32.6mm, 1/300sec, f6.2, ISO 200
Photoshop CC from RAW
Nik Output Sharpening
A beautiful shot of a beautiful arrangement in a wonderful setting.

Sorry Stephanie couldn't be there to enjoy it!

Best regards,

Doug
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:18 PM

Thanks, Doug!

Didn't get her 'flu shot! So everyone, do that! Good thing she gmhas a room mate and a steadfast dog at her side! Her dog is a golden retriever and she has Irish flaxen hair like a warrior!

Asher

Old February 6th, 2018, 06:29 PM

This is gorgeous, Asher. I love the light spilling through the flowers... just incredible. Too bad that your models didn't show up, but this filled your house and us both, will beauty.

:-) Maggie
Old February 6th, 2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Terlecki View Post
This is gorgeous, Asher. I love the light spilling through the flowers... just incredible. Too bad that your models didn't show up, but this filled your house and us both, will beauty.

:-) Maggie
Thanks for the visit, Maggie, I so appreciate your eye in this instance. It's actually technically hard to control the light as it is about 16 stops if one is not careful. It is hard not to have blown out petals from the backlights and yet with no light from the front some petals at totally flat, even after recovery.

One must get up early as the sun arches up over the sky quickly and the light beam through the window narrows.

One new solution is a large reflector facing. This works without creating distracting shadows. It's all so much easier with a muse!

The studio lights have to obey me or I smash them!

Asher