Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 7th, 2012, 01:05 AM

Default Just Announced: Nikon D800 & D800E

The new DSLR from Nikon has just been announced. It is the D800 and it's sibling D800E. The camera has a full frame sensor with a 36.3 megapixel CMOS sensor and an EXPEED 3 imaging processor. Of course, lots of improvements for filming as usual nowadays. The D800E is identical, except for the lack of an anti aliasing filter. This will surely result in a lot of chatter across the Internet.

A couple of items worth mentioning:

4.88μm pixels: smaller pixels as a result of the higher resolution. I am curious what the resulting DR and IQ will be like. The top ISO is set at 6400 (without using the overdrive to 25600), which may be telling. Also, what about the diffraction limit? My initial calculation shows that it becomes diffraction limited just above f5.6 (CoC being 1.5 times that of the pixel pitch, that is).

51 focus points, just like in the D4.

Exposure compensation: -5 to +5 EV in increments of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV and exposure bracketing: 2 to 9 frames in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EV. (NB: this is a pet peeve of mine with the 5DII, why won't Canon give us this? It is just a matter of firmware upgrade. I know that they are trying to differentiate the market between the 1d series and the 5d series, but this is simply not a reason for enthusiasts like me to buy the 1d anyway.)

Official Nikon link.

Here is a hands-on preview from dpreview.com.

Here are the sample images on Nikon's website.

flickr
website