Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Layback Cafe

Layback Cafe Let's chat!

Old December 12th, 2017, 05:53 AM

Default PC To Mac Issues

Some time ago I switched from using a PC to a Mac. I am generally pleased but one thing I miss about the PC is the way it handled stored images. Downloaded photos went straight from the camera to "pictures" which could be accessed directly for up loading to forums etc. On the Mac one's images go to "Photos" where they can't be accessed directly and must be moved to desktop to be accessible. If I have missed something here I'd certainly like to know but an Apple employee agreed that;s how it is. Another thing I miss is that on the PC you could mouse over a thumbnail in Pictures and the image size would appear. I don't know how to easily access that information on the Mac.
Old December 12th, 2017, 10:31 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dexter View Post
Some time ago I switched from using a PC to a Mac. I am generally pleased but one thing I miss about the PC is the way it handled stored images. Downloaded photos went straight from the camera to "pictures" which could be accessed directly for up loading to forums etc. On the Mac one's images go to "Photos" where they can't be accessed directly and must be moved to desktop to be accessible. If I have missed something here I'd certainly like to know but an Apple employee agreed that;s how it is. Another thing I miss is that on the PC you could mouse over a thumbnail in Pictures and the image size would appear. I don't know how to easily access that information on the Mac.

Peter,

I too am so frustrated with Apple for its implementation. of file storage and transfer in the Photos program.

I upload pictures and then export them to another drive. I have no idea where they go on the Apple Hard Drive.

With iPhoto, it was easy to find the catalog, it was simply in the Pictures folder.

I only use photo for imnporting from my iphone.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old December 12th, 2017, 03:52 PM

Yes they certainly seem to like to keep everything in their own ballfield...and out of anyone elses. If I were ever to do a review of Mac products I would certainly deduct points for this hardship.
Old December 13th, 2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
On the Mac one's images go to "Photos" where they can't be accessed directly and must be moved to desktop to be accessible.
You can use "file - share" to send the images to social web sites or share them via iCloud. Forums are not supported indeed, but you could try drag and drop on some sites. You can set photos to work with Flickr, system preferences>internet accounts.

Quote:
Another thing I miss is that on the PC you could mouse over a thumbnail in Pictures and the image size would appear. I don't know how to easily access that information on the Mac.
Try command-i

Quote:
With iPhoto, it was easy to find the catalog, it was simply in the Pictures folder.
Photos saves its data under ~/Pictures/Photos Library
control-click on that Library and use "show package content" to see what is inside it.
Old December 13th, 2017, 10:59 AM

Thank you that was very helpful indeed.
Old December 13th, 2017, 05:38 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Appreciate your very helpful suggestions, Jerome!

Thanks,

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.