Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Photojournalism - Street - Documentary

Old February 5th, 2012, 07:36 AM

Default Doesn't Snow Here.

Not an area known for snow, each year it snow and each year people are surprised. Funny creature humans. So, I went out (any Canadians here are going to be in hysterics at the level of snow that can create havoc here) .

Nothing special, just a few shots of here.

Road leading south out of the town.

Les Halles (those flakes got mighty close).

The College.
Old February 5th, 2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hélène Anderson View Post
......any Canadians here are going to be in hysterics at the level of snow that can create havoc here....
Little more than 8Km's down the road and "havoc" was indeed created. Five minutes before kick-off for the big game is not the ideal time to discover that 5cm of snow on a satellite receiver's LNB is a bad thing.

Chilly of Voulon
Old February 5th, 2012, 04:41 PM

Helene

I like the College - very nice picture

MIke
Old February 6th, 2012, 02:59 AM

Thanks Mike, I did stand there for few minutes (and no longer, it was cold!!!!! )wondering about the lamp on the left, thought it looked a bit Dickensian so kept it in.
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:41 PM

The college is indeed very nice. Very typical of local architecture. I also like Les Halles.

Having lived in that part of France, I know how much chaos a little bit of snow can bring. It does not snow eachyear, actually. More like every second year.
Old February 8th, 2012, 02:58 AM

Last winter it snowed about five seperate times, this winter twice. Though when I first arrived here snow was more rare.
Old February 8th, 2012, 12:08 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

When looking for an apartment or house in Boston, a consideration was always parking and what would happen when it snowed. A car could get plowed and frozen in ice for months! Here in Southern California we visit snow in Mammoth and the like and then come back to balmy temperate weather.

Road leading south out of the town.

Les Halles (those flakes got mighty close).

The College.

Your pictures bring back memories of Boston, bundling the kids up in layers of clothes, getting the snow blower going to clear the driveway and some of the street and taking the kids off to skiing!

Your snow blankets are serene. I remember Cem posted pics from Holland of a multitude of happy enthusiastic people skating/skiing on a frozen river. Of course, we have neither here in L.A. Yes, I am nostalgic for such winter scenes. The nearest we have is the reluctant drop of leaves from some of our trees!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 8th, 2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hélène Anderson View Post
Last winter it snowed about five seperate times, this winter twice. Though when I first arrived here snow was more rare.
Indeed the latest winters have brought more snow to that area. When I lived there, 40 to 30 years ago, snow was rare.
Old February 9th, 2012, 03:49 PM

I hope the memories of Boston are happy ones Asher. I have a (small) advantage in that this is a (albeit small) town so the nearest superette is only a few metres from me, I can walk there to buy essentials if ever the weather is bad or am unwell or what ever. There are those who live out in the wilds that are stuck in such conditions.