Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > New Pro-Class Compact GR Ricoh Experience(s)

New Pro-Class Compact GR Ricoh Experience(s) A forum where pro and amateurs can share and discuss their experience(s) with the Ricoh GR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Paul Abbott Paul Abbott is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: W. Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 1,562
Default Stacked Chairs '13

This was shot handheld in Southwark Cathedral, London and the reason for using an ISO 3200 rating...without any worries about noise either.






Stacked Chairs '13 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR - 1:1/ ISO 3200/ F4/ 1/40sec./ +03 stop exp.
__________________
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/ "In fact I don't believe there is such a thing as a definitive picture of something. The land is a living, breathing thing and light changes its character every second of every day." - Fay Godwin "All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old August 20th, 2013, 02:57 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is online now
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Abbott View Post
This was shot handheld in Southwark Cathedral, London and the reason for using an ISO 3200 rating...without any worries about noise either.





Stacked Chairs '13 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR - 1:1/ ISO 3200/ F4/ 1/40sec./ +03 stop exp.



Paul,

Yes, this is remarkable! I think now that one can actually go lower in shutter speed to 1/10 second with this camera, if your hands are steady. So the potential for low light work is far greater than I'd imagined!

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old August 20th, 2013, 03:26 AM
Paul Abbott Paul Abbott is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: W. Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 1,562
Default

Yeah Asher, hand holding this camera at low shutter speeds is useful but I find it easier with my camera up at my eye and composing with the GV-1 attached, it's much more steadier that way, as of old.
__________________
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/ "In fact I don't believe there is such a thing as a definitive picture of something. The land is a living, breathing thing and light changes its character every second of every day." - Fay Godwin "All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Paul Abbott Paul Abbott is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: W. Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 1,562
Default

A split-toned B&W conversion this time with a few tweaks...






Chair Stacks '13 - Paul Abbott
__________________
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/ "In fact I don't believe there is such a thing as a definitive picture of something. The land is a living, breathing thing and light changes its character every second of every day." - Fay Godwin "All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old August 20th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is online now
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Abbott View Post
A split-toned B&W conversion this time with a few tweaks...






Chair Stacks '13 - Paul Abbott


Michael,

Who'd know it was split toned? Just seems perfectly as it should appear. Good idea and well done! Also has a Cathedral inheritance of sorts.

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Rachel Foster Rachel Foster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 3,574
Default

Another lovely photo.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:35 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is online now
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,914
Smile

Paul,

Great minds can think alike, even with very different backgrounds, it seems. Today I saw a chance connection.

Amazingly, Maggie Terlecki pointed me to her recent interview of another photographer she admires. The lady, one Thelma Stewart, started photography at age 74, LOL! She's now 92 and so creative. She has made a picture in B&W that resembles your wonderful shot above. Look in Maggie's interview here! Only by chance did I see one picture, "Lines in Black and White" had much in common with the geometry and gleam we see in your own work.

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:06 AM
Maggie Terlecki Maggie Terlecki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Province of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Paul,

Great minds can think alike, even with very different backgrounds, it seems. Today I saw a chance connection.

Amazingly, Maggie Terlecki pointed me to her recent interview of another photographer she admires. The lady, one Thelma Stewart, started photography at age 74, LOL! She's now 92 and so creative. She has made a picture in B&W that resembles your wonderful shot above. Look in Maggie's interview here! Only by chance did I see one picture, "Lines in Black and White" had much in common with the geometry and gleam we see in your own work.

Asher
Whoa, Asher, I didn't know you knew about my website where I do interviews and articles and such. (I'm actually hoping to cajole a few people here to be featured in the future :-D ) Maybe someone else told you? But yes, Thelma started late although, but she'd want me to say that she's only 84 now! ; a spring chicken, really! :-D LOL
When I saw these chairs, I also thought immediately to her photo as they have very similar geometry. How wild is that?

As for your photo, Paul. It's great. It makes me think of your architectural photos where you have all those wonderful converging lines. Well done!
__________________
there's a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in ~Leonard Cohen
my personal website
my website with articles,interviews etc.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:06 PM
Nicolas Claris Nicolas Claris is offline
Administrator/Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bordeaux
Posts: 5,777
Default

Paul, a perfect composition!
It seems that 28 mm is a good choice made by Ricoh for a single focal camera, one can easily find a good frame to shoot…
__________________
WEBSITE - FACEBOOK - INSTAGRAM
Please do no repost my images elsewhere than OPF without my permission.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old August 21st, 2013, 02:57 PM
Paul Abbott Paul Abbott is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: W. Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 1,562
Default

Hey Asher, thanks for the heads up on Maggie's site and it's content...like Thelma Stewart I was photographing a lot of 'perspective' and 'texture' images so it was great to see what she has been doing...

Maggie, that's a great interview you have in talking with that lady. It is so good to hear about her and her exploits with the camera. She has quite the background and it was all so interesting to read. You did a great job in interviewing her, Maggie.
I can sympathise with her about her regret in not taking up photography sooner, she would certainly have had an even greater opportunity in her worldly travels. She has some great pictures and I especially like her abstract shot of those chairs, that is a real nice composition...her B&W processing of it is lovely too.
Those chairs are pretty close to being the same as what's in my image...unbelievable.
I've now bookmarked your site, Maggie...

Thanks, Rachel. Thanks, Nicolas...As for the GR's 28mm lens and it's close focusing ability there's not much it can't do really, given it's marque and class. I don't miss my DSLR at all, everytime I go out with a camera it's always the RICOH GR...
__________________
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/ "In fact I don't believe there is such a thing as a definitive picture of something. The land is a living, breathing thing and light changes its character every second of every day." - Fay Godwin "All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old August 21st, 2013, 06:29 PM
Maggie Terlecki Maggie Terlecki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Province of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Abbott View Post
Hey Asher, thanks for the heads up on Maggie's site and it's content...like Thelma Stewart I was photographing a lot of 'perspective' and 'texture' images so it was great to see what she has been doing...

Maggie, that's a great interview you have in talking with that lady. It is so good to hear about her and her exploits with the camera. She has quite the background and it was all so interesting to read. You did a great job in interviewing her, Maggie.
I can sympathise with her about her regret in not taking up photography sooner, she would certainly have had an even greater opportunity in her worldly travels. She has some great pictures and I especially like her abstract shot of those chairs, that is a real nice composition...her B&W processing of it is lovely too.
Those chairs are pretty close to being the same as what's in my image...unbelievable.
I've now bookmarked your site, Maggie...
Thank you, Paul. I'm glad you enjoy your visit; please come again! :-)
Maggie
__________________
there's a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in ~Leonard Cohen
my personal website
my website with articles,interviews etc.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old August 25th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Wolfgang Plattner Wolfgang Plattner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Koblach, Austria
Posts: 1,025
Default

Hi Paul,

thanks for this encouragement to take along with such pictures by myself ... your chairs are great!
__________________
greetings from a hill
zenfolio
Flickr
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red Chairs, Red Door, Red Sign Chris Calohan Riskit! 22 November 4th, 2015 02:53 PM
Film: Cane Chairs Maris Rusis Film, Platinum, Polaroid & other Analog media 6 August 6th, 2013 12:53 PM
Stacked Rose StuartRae Close-up & Macro 16 September 3rd, 2008 04:05 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:25 AM.


Posting images or text grants license to OPF, yet © of such remain with its creator. Still, all assembled discussion © 2006-2017 Asher Kelman (all rights reserved) Posts with new theme or unusual image might be moved/copied to a new thread!