• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A camera designed for Expose-to-the-Right metering?

David Ellsworth

As far as I know, every digital camera currently in existence uses a basic metering philosophy of "try to get the correct exposure", where "correct" means that luminosity percentages in the photo correspond to reflectivity percentages in reality. This metering algorithm (or group of algorithms) seems to be centered around the tenet that on average, all photographic subjects will have an average luminosity of 18% gray reflectance, which is 2.5 stops below 100% white.

To my way of thinking, this type of metering hearkens back to film days. On negative film, highlights saturate quite smoothly, so getting a good exposure probably involves centering most of the histogram on a sweet spot of mid-range luminosity. However, digital cameras have a linear response and clip highlights abruptly. So why are we still using the same old metering algorithms?

Exposure-to-the-Right (ETTR) involves manipulating the exposure (ISO, shutter speed, and aperture) so that the entire histogram is used, giving the best signal-to-noise ratio obtainable without clipping (blowing out) any highlights where the photographer wants to preserve detail.

Current DSLRs, including the most high-end ones, obtain lower amplifier noise at higher ISO levels, so ETTR achieves the best SNR even at high ISOs. Eventually there may be a camera that does two passes of readout, one at base ISO (usually 100) and another at high ISO (e.g. 1600). Then shooting at high ISO could be "faked" and highlights would be virtually guaranteed not to clip. This would make ETTR obsolete at high ISOs. However, we're not there yet; all DSLRs still do only one pass of readout. So the benefits of ETTR are pretty much universal. (And will always be, at base ISO.)

Is there any reason not to expose to the right in absolutely every situation? I don't think so. Since ETTR by definition doesn't clip any important highlights, the exposure can always be corrected in post-processing, especially when using a RAW format.

Currently, photographers are forced to "fight" the exposure metering on their digital cameras to achieve ETTR. This either involves going Full Manual, or choosing an exposure compensation that works for the subject being photographed. But what is this exposure compensation, really? As I see it, it's an arbitrary number with no basis in reality; it is a number that corrects for errors in the assumptions of the camera's metering system. The only way in which it gives the photographer creative control is in deciding which luminosity level beyond which it is okay to clip/saturate.

Choosing an exposure compensation that works requires a combination of memory, guesswork, and chimping, and must be constantly updated as the subject lighting and background change. For quick-draw situations, chimping is right out; you need to be able to get the shot before the opportunity is gone. For situations in which you have plenty of time, you can take some test shots and see which areas of the photograph are clipped, and if they are important to you, reduce the exposure accordingly. However, even this method is flawed.

AFAIK, all current DSLRs with Clipped Highlight Preview are actually showing you which highlights are clipped in the RGB representation of the photo after color profile conversion (usually sRGB). So there can be flashing bits of the photo, especially colored areas, that are actually *not* clipped in the RAW representation — highlights that could be recovered without any algorithmic guesswork. The same applies to in-camera histograms.

There is a band-aid solution for this, called Unity White Balance (UniWB). This is seriously flawed, because not only does it make chimping much less fun (all photos will be severely green-tinted) but it doesn't even work. Saturated colors can still be clipped during color profile conversion, when in the RAW representation they are not clipped. And furthermore, the camera's histogram preview will still be affected by its gamma and tone curve, making it much harder to determine exposure compensation amounts.

DSLRs *should* provide an option to display a RAW RGB linear histogram (and AFAIK, none do). But there is more that they can do.

I am asking, why do we still not have a DSLR that can *automatically* do ETTR metering? There are some technical considerations, but *any* automatic ETTR would be much quicker and easier to use than what photographers are forced to do without it.

The simplest type of auto-ETTR would involve taking a test shot, and telling the camera to meter the next set of photos based on that test shot. You would have to tell the camera which highlights are acceptable to clip. One method might be a percentage. Telling it "clip 0.00%" would give you photos in which nothing is clipped in the RAW representation of the image, not even a single pixel, assuming that your test shot has the brightest highlights that are going to occur in your photo session. Telling it "clip 1%" might work nicely if you have some occasional specular highlights that don't need to be preserved photometrically; this would allow no more than 1% of the area of the photo to reach RAW saturation.

There should be a single button that tells the camera "apply ETTR metering based on the last shot taken". You should also be able to apply this based on earlier shots, during Preview/Playback. The "ETTR button" could share functionality with an "AE-lock button" (i.e., be the same button), with its functionality depending on whether you are in ETTR mode or not.

In traditional metering modes, you directly adjust two out of three of the shutter speed, aperture, and ISO, and the third is chosen by the metering system. (Assume that we already have a proper auto-ISO mode, even though Canon xxD/xxxD DSLRs don't have one, and should.)

In my hypothetical ETTR metering mode, the "exposure compensation" (EV) adjustment would be replaced with an adjustment of absolute EV, or LV (Light Value). Instead of letting the camera measure the LV itself using a metering algorithm, on top of which exposure compensation would traditionally be added, you'd get to choose the LV yourself, directly, and no exposure compensation would be needed. You could then use Aperture+Shutter priority, Aperture+ISO priority, or Shutter+ISO priority, and the camera would use the LV to calculate the third exposure parameter.

This should ideally be combined with a per-lens calibration of the actual light transmitted at each aperture, and if possible, continuous adjustment of shutter speed (as opposed to stepwise adjustment) so that ETTR can precise. But this is probably optional and not necessary for a very usable and practical auto-ETTR implementation (without it, the algorithm would need to do some rounding-down in certain circumstances to ensure the clipping percentage is not exceeded).

Pressing the ETTR button would cause the LV to be automatically adjusted. Otherwise the LV would stay locked and would be manually adjustable.

(A more advanced ETTR metering mode might somehow use the matrix metering sensors that are standard in all SLRs that use a half-silvered mirror (i.e. basically all of them), to do a sort of guesswork-auto-ETTR that doesn't require taking a test shot, but this would be complicated, since in most situations the highlights are smaller than the metering sensors. Anything like this would just be icing on the cake, and should definitely be *optional* and not replace what I have described previously. It may not even be possible to do this usefully, in which case I would not miss its absence at all.)

What do you think of this idea? Has anybody else thought of it? Is there are reason it has not been implemented in DSLRs?

Ideally this would be implemented through firmware updates to existing cameras, as well as future cameras being given the feature, but the best we can hope for is probably the latter. So how can we make this happen?

Doug Kerr

Hi, David,

As far as I know, every digital camera currently in existence uses a basic metering philosophy of "try to get the correct exposure", where "correct" means that luminosity percentages in the photo correspond to reflectivity percentages in reality. This metering algorithm (or group of algorithms) seems to be centered around the tenet that on average, all photographic subjects will have an average luminosity of 18% gray reflectance, which is 2.5 stops below 100% white.
Actually, the Canon "evaluative" metering scheme (whose actual algorithm is not revealed to us mortals) seemingly tries to go a bit in the direction you are suggesting. Still, it hardly produces an ETTR result (largely for reasons you discuss: it does not survey the entire scene frame to make its determination).

Your presentation here is well done, and the concept certainly deserves some consideration.

Thanks.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi David,

You are so right about the rRGB histogram telling one is clipped when the RAW is not. My problem is with stage lights where the highlights are the hands of the violinist for example and these vanish in the bright light from above! So I have learned to "under-expose" by 1-2 stops and then recover everything in processing the RAW file.

An automatic ETTR, (Exposure to the R), would be a great practical advance as it would, as you point out, approach data collection to the part of the histogram where any number is more accurate a representation of the luminosity on the subject.

Still, the next level of sensors will likely have individual readout of a laminar layers set of sensels, something like the Foveon scheme or a matrix of many many transparent layers with simple on/off function and different sensitivities. With these technologies, each pixel is potentially a separate camera so ETTR can be automatic!

However, right now, the point your are making is amazingly important. Frankly, with all the menu options provided, not being able to automatically expose to the right is frankly a sign of the MFRS not being self-critical and are not relating fully to real photography.

The MP, digicam, MTF, vibration correction and other marketing obsessions seem to have given the MFRS some idea that they are indeed making the most competent cameras the market wants. However, they've missed ETTR, one of the most potentially useful and achievable features of the modern digital camera!

Thanks for pointing out this out!

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
David

using ETTR today comes down to capture with bracket exposures; similar to your The simplest type of auto-ETTR would involve taking a test shot, and telling the camera to meter the next set of photos based on that test shot.

What I realise when doing so that ETTR with recovering a bit of highlights (pulling in the old days) doesn't succeds all the times:
apart from the numerical amount of overexposure (f-stops), the intensity of the highlight, its °local contrast° have a influence on recovering it, as well.

I doubt that this can be exhibit with a histogramm.

David Ellsworth

Thanks Doug. After reading some more of your writings — "LV / Light Value" should really be replaced with "Bv / Brightness Value" in my text, right?

Thanks Asher. A technological solution to this would be fantastic; I was thinking each pixel could have a timer, which instantly stops counting when saturation is reached (although this wouldn't work properly with a motion-blurred shot). Or each pixel could have a counter register, which counts the number of times it reaches saturation, and resets the pixel each time. (I don't know if either of these ideas are even remotely feasible.) The alternative technology will take a super-long time to match CCD/CMOS in resolution (just look at how Foveon has been stagnating). In the meantime, currently existing technology is quite capable of doing practical auto-ETTR with new firmware.

Here's a short piece on how to make ETTR a little easier when shooting RAW.
Winston, thanks, but again — that is just a band-aid solution, a way of "fighting" the programming of the camera, and is only partially successful.

using ETTR today comes down to capture with bracket exposures; similar to your The simplest type of auto-ETTR would involve taking a test shot, and telling the camera to meter the next set of photos based on that test shot.
Michael, thanks, but bracketing is only going to be practical on a subject that isn't moving. Most of my subjects are moving; I don't want a significant proportion of poses to be mis-exposed. Even on unmoving subjects, I don't want to wear down my shutter and waste space on my card taking enough bracketed shots to ensure that one of each is ETTR to as much precision as steps of 1/3 EV allow. I wear down my shutter enough already (I've had to send in my 450D twice due to a broken shutter).
What I realise when doing so that ETTR with recovering a bit of highlights (pulling in the old days) doesn't succeds all the times:
apart from the numerical amount of overexposure (f-stops), the intensity of the highlight, its °local contrast° have a influence on recovering it, as well.

I doubt that this can be exhibit with a histogramm.
A RAW RGB linear histogram and clipped highlight preview (as proposed) would show you exactly which highlights would need to be "recovered" using color-guessing techniques (due to one or two of the raw RGB channels being clipped), and which are unrecoverable (due to all three raw channels being clipped); everything else would either be intact by default or be recoverable with 100% accuracy.

Doug Kerr

Hi, David,

Thanks Doug. After reading some more of your writings — "LV / Light Value" should really be replaced with "Bv / Brightness Value" in my text, right?
Yes, I think so.

I didn't really have a chance to read your piece thoroughly (owing to the infamous "pressure of other business"), and still really haven't, so this next comment may be incompletely informed.

When you speak of the user entering a Bv into the system would be that the Bv that (hopefully) represented the luminance of the brightest region in the scene, or that would represent the luminance of a 100% reflectance object, or what?

Or are you speaking of the luminance that the metering system would treat as the "adjusted average measured scene luminance" (as it would have measured it) as an input to its current metering algorithm?

I hope you have had a chance to read some of my papers on "what 18% is and what is isn't" and on modern trends on the interlocking matters of "exposure control system calibration" and "assessment of the ISO sensitivity of the sensor chain".

Best regards,

Doug

David Ellsworth

Hi Doug,

The user-entered Bv (and auto-ETTR Bv) should represent the luminance of the brightest region in the scene in which the photographer wants to preserve detail. This would often not be 100% reflectance, either because there may be no white in the scene, or there may be surfaces with non-Lambertian reflectance that send more than 100% towards the camera — or the photographer may even want to preserve the brightest specular reflections in the scene (or the light source itself, e.g. in a sunset), for reproduction on an HDR (super-bright, high contrast-ratio) display device.

I have indeed read some of your writings on 18% and 12.8%. My own tests show that cameras use the 18% rule, and not 12.8%. On my Canon 450D and 40D, I have taken shots of solid white in RAW and converted them using "dcraw -D -j -4 -T IMG_xxxx.CR2", and checked the brightness levels in the resulting TIFFs (taking measured black level, saturation level, and Bayer mosaic into account). The result is very close to 18% (I did it just now, and came up with 17.07%). I'm pretty sure I did similar tests on my Olympus E-20N before it broke, with similar results.

I have not yet read those two other papers you named, but I have wondered how an ISO sensitivity system designed for negative film (gradual saturation) could be ported to digital (sudden saturation) in a consistent way.

Best regards,
David

Doug Kerr

Hi, David,

Hi Doug,

The user-entered Bv (and auto-ETTR Bv) should represent the luminance of the brightest region in the scene in which the photographer wants to preserve detail. This would often not be 100% reflectance, either because there may be no white in the scene, or there may be surfaces with non-Lambertian reflectance that send more than 100% towards the camera — or the photographer may even want to preserve the brightest specular reflections in the scene (or the light source itself, e.g. in a sunset), for reproduction on an HDR (super-bright, high contrast-ratio) display device.
I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

I have indeed read some of your writings on 18% and 12.8%. My own tests show that cameras use the 18% rule, and not 12.8%. [/quote]
Oh, it varies between cameras (and between eras).

On my Canon 450D and 40D, I have taken shots of solid white in RAW and converted them using "dcraw -D -j -4 -T IMG_xxxx.CR2", and checked the brightness levels in the resulting TIFFs (taking measured black level, saturation level, and Bayer mosaic into account). The result is very close to 18% (I did it just now, and came up with 17.07%).
Indeed, but you would have had a different finding with an EOS 300D.

The "18%" result today is a consequence of Canon's new view of ISO sensitivity.

I have not yet read those two other papers you named, but I have wondered how an ISO sensitivity system designed for negative film (gradual saturation) could be ported to digital (sudden saturation) in a consistent way.

It wasn't ported; the standard for digital cameras was developed in its own right around a wholly different "metric". There was of course a lot of palaver about how desirable it would be for the two to be consistent, but as you realize there is no meaning to that so that remained just palaver!

Best regards,

Doug

David Ellsworth

Understood. I'll stop the bleeding with tha bandaid until you design, manufacture, and start selling your new camera ;-)
Touché ;-)

The "18%" result today is a consequence of Canon's new view of ISO sensitivity.
That is interesting and surprising. It sounds like the 300D, compared to newer Canons, had it's own "1/2 Highlight Tone Priority" that could not be turned off, no?

Doug Kerr

Hi, David,

That is interesting and surprising. It sounds like the 300D, compared to newer Canons, had it's own "1/2 Highlight Tone Priority" that could not be turned off, no?
Nothing that sophisticated. Just a different "exposure strategy".

Best regards,

Doug

David Ellsworth

Hi Doug,

AFAIK, Highlight Tone Priority is fairly unsophisticated. ISO 200+HTP is just ISO 100 with -1 stop of exposure compensation, and a brightened tone curve.

I read your article, "New Measures of the Sensitivity of a Digital Camera". Didn't Canon introduce HTP at the same time as they switched from ISO to ISO SOS? That seems like no coincidence; it's like they felt they needed to make up for the fact that there was less headroom.

Best regards,
David

Doug Kerr

Hi, David,

Hi Doug,

AFAIK, Highlight Tone Priority is fairly unsophisticated. ISO 200+HTP is just ISO 100 with -1 stop of exposure compensation, and a brightened tone curve.

I read your article, "New Measures of the Sensitivity of a Digital Camera". Didn't Canon introduce HTP at the same time as they switched from ISO to ISO SOS?
I think so.

That seems like no coincidence; it's like they felt they needed to make up for the fact that there was less headroom.
Could well be.

Best regards,

Doug

I agree ETTR is a powerful exposure strategy. Some film photographers have been doing it for decades. The late Fred Picker put it succinctly when he suggested "place your high value on Zone VIII, shoot, and accept what you get in the shadows".

In a general philosophical sense the best recording of an image, film or digital, is the one that contains the maximum possible information. This is equivalent to the maximum usable exposure. No, not the maximum achievable exposure but rather the maximum beyond which you lose information; notionally Zone VIII in film or level 255 in digital.

Or in fewer words ETTR.

Asher Kelman

I agree ETTR is a powerful exposure strategy. Some film photographers have been doing it for decades. The late Fred Picker put it succinctly when he suggested "place your high value on Zone VIII, shoot, and accept what you get in the shadows".

In a general philosophical sense the best recording of an image, film or digital, is the one that contains the maximum possible information. This is equivalent to the maximum usable exposure. No, not the maximum achievable exposure but rather the maximum beyond which you lose information; notionally Zone VIII in film or level 255 in digital.
So Maris and all other past present and would be film photographers, let's discuss this important topic here.

Asher

Will Thompson just sent me this interesting link, a protest against respect for ETTR as a way of life!

:)

Rags Gardner, the author of the linked article, has a good understanding of matters concerning color management. However, his critique on ETTR is mostly based on inadequate Raw converters, not on the principles of Digital Signal Processing (DSP). His mention of non-linearity in Raw capture is demonstrably wrong, or at least blow out of proportion for 99% of all images taken. Most non-linearities occur in the postprocessing of the Raw data.

ETTR is a good technique to opitmize the Signal to Noise Ratio (S/N ratio) and thus the inherent quality of our Raw bits and bytes. Manufacturers yet need to facilitate that optimal capture. IMHO, blinking highligths based on the Raw data in a gamma adjusted preview would be a useful tool. A linear gamma histogram is pretty useless, because most of the data would be packed in the left portion of the histogram (because linear gamma images look dark to the human eye). What would help the interpretation of a histogram is a logarithmic scale for quantities (the vertical axis), because that would make low bin counts more visible.

Cheers,
Bart

David Ellsworth

Hello Bart,

I think I'd prefer a linear histogram because it would put the focus on the highlights, which is usually the only thing I care about when viewing an on-camera histogram. The vertical scale should of course be logarithmic, such that having just 1 pixel occupying a certain range would result in a 1-pixel-high bar in the histogram (so that even 1 pixel of blown highlights would be detectable).

It may also be useful to display the histogram on a logarithmic horizontal scale. I would propose that the camera allow you to choose out of the following modes:
  1. Fully-processed RGB values as used by in-camera JPEG
  2. Luminance values as used by in-camera JPEG
  3. Raw linear RGB
  4. Raw logarithmic RGB, with each factor of 2 marked below the axis, allowing the user to choose how many stops are displayed (with the maximum being the number of stops of useful dynamic range the camera is capable of in the current ISO); because this would clip the shadow range, the leftmost histogram bar would have encompass its corresponding brightness along with everything darker.
It might be useful to add another cycle to the INFO button, which would make it display the histogram full-screen (especially in log-scale mode).

Cheers,
David

Asher Kelman

Hello Bart,

I think I'd prefer a linear histogram because it would put the focus on the highlights, which is usually the only thing I care about when viewing an on-camera histogram. The vertical scale should of course be logarithmic, such that having just 1 pixel occupying a certain range would result in a 1-pixel-high bar in the histogram (so that even 1 pixel of blown highlights would be detectable).

It may also be useful to display the histogram on a logarithmic horizontal scale. I would propose that the camera allow you to choose out of the following modes:
  1. Fully-processed RGB values as used by in-camera JPEG
  2. Luminance values as used by in-camera JPEG
  3. Raw linear RGB
  4. Raw logarithmic RGB, with each factor of 2 marked below the axis, allowing the user to choose how many stops are displayed (with the maximum being the number of stops of useful dynamic range the camera is capable of in the current ISO); because this would clip the shadow range, the leftmost histogram bar would have encompass its corresponding brightness along with everything darker.
It might be useful to add another cycle to the INFO button, which would make it display the histogram full-screen (especially in log-scale mode).
Now aren't we just talking about firmware? If the SDK is available, what's to stop this from being designed?

Asher

David Ellsworth

Hi Asher,

The SDKs that are available are for developing PC software that interfaces with cameras, not firmware that runs on them. Implementing an auto-ETTR this way may be feasible though. You'd need to carry around a netbook, tethered to the camera. Mounting the netbook to your body in a way that would make it convenient to use its screen and keyboard in the field might be tricky. Perhaps it could instead send raw histograms back to the camera as JPEGs, letting you view them on-camera. Perhaps it could even detect patterned flicks of the mode dial as commands (Canon SDK doesn't let you detect or hook button presses) and do things in response, like changing the exposure. Hmmm...

The ideal would be something that'd run on-camera. "Magic Lantern" looks promising. I don't have a DryOS-based Canon, but perhaps someone else will be inspired to work on ETTR functionality implemented this way.

David

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bart,

Rags Gardner, the author of the linked article, has a good understanding of matters concerning color management. However, his critique on ETTR is mostly based on inadequate Raw converters, not on the principles of Digital Signal Processing (DSP). His mention of non-linearity in Raw capture is demonstrably wrong, or at least blow out of proportion for 99% of all images taken. Most non-linearities occur in the postprocessing of the Raw data.

It's important that we remember the distinction between:
• The concept of "expose to the right" as an exposure result objective, and
• ETTR as may be practiced using some particular camera design and, if a histogram is involved, how it works.

Garner's cautions clearly relate to the latter, but he doesn't take the trouble in his preamble to make the distinction. ("Of course I was speaking of horse-drawn streetcars.")

What would help the interpretation of a histogram is a logarithmic scale for quantities (the vertical axis), because that would make low bin counts more visible.
Log vs. log would be nice (actually, the current horizontal scales of most camera histograms are something like logarithmic).

It calls up memories or H&D's "D log E" curve, where of course (even though the name may not make it seem that way), both axes are logarithmic (D itself is defined as logarithmic).

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited by a moderator: