• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The one and only Hy6!

Rob.Martin

rediculously complicated

one of the reasons I went to the H series, was it was not drifting in the sea of complications of other systems. Now the "morons" in hasselblad marketing have given Canon an unecessary leg up in this area, and the options open to someone like me are less and less.

I may start a website called "WhyHasselbladWhy.com" as a protest.......

Wonder if it'd get much attention......

Everyone to place a protest vote, and a pointer to their own website.

hmmm . . . . . . .

Rob

Oops, back on Topic, the Hy6 seems copmplex to a pleb like me.....
Am I wrong?

Paul Schefz

what is complex about a MF 6x6 with exchangeable finders? all the metering/electronics are built into the body (not the finders),...it really is an electronic version of the 6008af...all the functions are even in the same place....a LOT less complicated then any DSLR...
the 6000 series has the simplest most ingenius controls...one (normal) ring for f-stop (on the lens) one dial for time (on the side/grip) both have an A setting...if you set the f-stop to A, shutter priority, if you set the time to A, Aperture priority, if both are on A, you have program! 2 dials, all options including M,A,S,P!!!!

the Hy6 has asa/compensation, metering (center, spot, matrix) and AF/M switch on the left side of the body....the right side (the grip) handles f-stop, time and trigger and has a display for the functions....pretty basic and a lot less complicated then the H1/2, which has the WORST ergonomics of any camera i have ever seen....10?15? (of the CHEAPEST) buttons, secret combinations to apply settings....a joke...really their fault was to cram eveything onto one side....every DSLR has the right and left side AND the back for all the 1000 settings i have never gone into....the H1/2 has it all with in 1inch...should be even more fun with the H3! same controls, but more settings!

Rob.Martin

it's probably just me

I'll have to see what it's like ultimately. I was quick to judge without really seeing it.

:-(

Paul Schefz said:
what is complex about a MF 6x6 with exchangeable finders? all the metering/electronics are built into the body (not the finders),...it really is an electronic version of the 6008af...all the functions are even in the same place....a LOT less complicated then any DSLR...
the 6000 series has the simplest most ingenius controls...one (normal) ring for f-stop (on the lens) one dial for time (on the side/grip) both have an A setting...if you set the f-stop to A, shutter priority, if you set the time to A, Aperture priority, if both are on A, you have program! 2 dials, all options including M,A,S,P!!!!

the Hy6 has asa/compensation, metering (center, spot, matrix) and AF/M switch on the left side of the body....the right side (the grip) handles f-stop, time and trigger and has a display for the functions....pretty basic and a lot less complicated then the H1/2, which has the WORST ergonomics of any camera i have ever seen....10?15? (of the CHEAPEST) buttons, secret combinations to apply settings....a joke...really their fault was to cram eveything onto one side....every DSLR has the right and left side AND the back for all the 1000 settings i have never gone into....the H1/2 has it all with in 1inch...should be even more fun with the H3! same controls, but more settings!

Paul Schefz

i was a little scared when i first saw the red/grey/white version of the Hy6....talk about...starwars? lego?! but then i saw the black/grey leaf version...much better....haven't actually held one yet, but looking at the pics it should be very much like the 6008, only smaller and lighter....they only mention a 90 prism and a WLF..i really like the 45 prism on the 6008 and i hope they will make one for the Hy6 as well.....
anyway all this is 6-10 months off anyway..patience...

Paul Schefz said:
i was a little scared when i first saw the red/grey/white version of the Hy6....talk about...starwars? lego?!

Lego! At least that was my spontaneous association when I first laid eyes on the gray and red Sinar version at Photokina. Even the buttons felt like plastic, but that is probably more food for psychiatic study than realism. Funny how looks can play tricks with ones perception, was my afterthough when I saw the clone on the other side of the aisle. I did wonder about the dust properties of the felt like material that covered the rear interior (no back was attached no protection slide nor cover either).

but then i saw the black/grey leaf version...much better....haven't actually held one yet, but looking at the pics it should be very much like the 6008, only smaller and lighter....they only mention a 90 prism and a WLF..i really like the 45 prism on the 6008 and i hope they will make one for the Hy6 as well.....
anyway all this is 6-10 months off anyway..patience...

It's an interesting development, unlike the Hasselblad closed system offering (under the pretence of optimized optics/back combination).

Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Has anyone seen any official offers of the 6008 with the option of upgrade to the Hy6 when available?

I'd like to see what deals there are with different backs?

Asher

Paul Schefz

i spoke with the sinar rep (sinar is now the official distributer of rollei in the US) about bundles and such, he did not know anything yet...rollei is still waiting for phase to come on board as well...i have a feeling that after that, there will be bundles from leaf, phase and sinar, all with the Hy6...so before these prices are not set, we won't hear much...i would not be surprised if there will be a little drop in prices with these bundles, because i am pretty sure the camera will be free with the backs...
i don't think there will be any news before photoeast is over....
the 6008af/emotion22 kit is 24,000$ which is the second rollei digital bundle (after the P20bundle), since sinar now distributes rollei, i would not be surprised if they will somehow work this bundle into an upgrade path...

I talked to a digital solutions distributor here in New York and he said that "Hasselblad will never live PhaseOne out", and that it was all a bluff from the camera maker to get money out of the back maker. "It is too bad that the photographers have to be caught in the cross fire" he added.

I think that the HY6 is just an example of a system, same as the Mamiya ZD-- about that the same source said that the ZD back will never be distributed in the US and that the IQ was "bad"-- or the Pentax 645 yet-to-be-even named. When they have production models, then we can talk about it, but the reality is that working products in digital market place need to work in many planes.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
leonardobarreto.com said:
I talked to a digital solutions distributor here in New York and he said that "Hasselblad will never live PhaseOne out", and that it was all a bluff from the camera maker to get money out of the back maker. "It is too bad that the photographers have to be caught in the cross fire" he added.

I think that the HY6 is just an example of a system, same as the Mamiya ZD-- about that the same source said that the ZD back will never be distributed in the US and that the IQ was "bad"-- or the Pentax 645 yet-to-be-even named. When they have production models, then we can talk about it, but the reality is that working products in digital market place need to work in many planes.

Leonardo,

Could you be more explicit in stating the second paragraph, especially "need to work in many planes".

Asher