Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old May 26th, 2010, 12:24 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Quadricopter from France

This is the iphone and ipad app you must have if you want to totally impress your kids or take pictures from the air. This amazing craft is controlled as any game by tilting and moving the iphone! It's fitted with accelerometers, gyros and fast cameras so t can look after itself and land even when out of contact. I'd like to have one for photography. 15 minutes of flying time might decrease with the load of a digicam but it does sound like fun. More info and video here from engadget.com

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 26th, 2010, 03:49 AM

Yes, this does open up some possibilities. I wonder how long it will be before it is scaled up to where it can carry a full frame dslr and lens. Pricing will be interesting as well.
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Robbins View Post
Yes, this does open up some possibilities. I wonder how long it will be before it is scaled up to where it can carry a full frame dslr and lens. Pricing will be interesting as well.
Long time ago, Tom.

But you don't really need a big slr. Video is the most common use for these things. You have to use a camera that's capable of transmitting a live image back to the controller. Otherwise how would you know what you're shooting?
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:02 AM

I think the very special thing is the design to be an iphone app. Likely they have outsourced production so it will be far less expensive than existing solutions. The thing, called the Parrot, seems really able to lock on to a ground target! I think it's a wonderful and dangerous design.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 26th, 2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Tanaka View Post
Long time ago, Tom.

But you don't really need a big slr. Video is the most common use for these things. You have to use a camera that's capable of transmitting a live image back to the controller. Otherwise how would you know what you're shooting?
Ha, I am way behind the curve! This is fascinating.
Old May 26th, 2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Robbins View Post
Ha, I am way behind the curve! This is fascinating.

For me, I'd fly it over my set and take multiple adjacent pictures for stitching. A G10 digicam set to manual with a mini pocket wizard would work fine.

Asher

Old May 28th, 2010, 06:30 AM

Default AMAZING aggressive quadrotor!

Aggressive Maneuvers for Autonomous Quadrotor Flight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvRTA...layer_embedded

Old May 28th, 2010, 01:36 PM

Ha - unbelievable!

I see the room was draped with safety netting. I have a hunch this might provide a clue as to its price.
Old May 28th, 2010, 08:01 PM
pro member

I saw $500 mentioned somewhere. Seems kind of high. 15' running time with a 1 hr charge. Lots of fun though!
Old May 29th, 2010, 09:35 PM

Too bad they only designed it for the iphones and the ipad.
it would be a blast to have to take aerial photos.
Old May 30th, 2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody White View Post
Too bad they only designed it for the iphones and the ipad.
it would be a blast to have to take aerial photos.
Cody,

I think that's the idea! One is just saving on the price of the controller. One can also control the camera from the ipad/iphone!

Asher

Old May 30th, 2010, 11:14 AM

Asher,

It seems like with all the touch screen phones coming out they could of made it friendly for different models of phones.
Old May 30th, 2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody White View Post
Asher,

It seems like with all the touch screen phones coming out they could of made it friendly for different models of phones.
This thing can be steered by just tilting the ipad/iphone so it's pretty nice. I like the idea of using velcro on the more aggressive research machine to have it perch at different places in the room! What an easy way to place a camera high above a stage!

Asher

Old May 30th, 2010, 11:25 AM

I know my LG EnV touch can play some games just by rotating or moving the phone around.