• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Soon, the 500 Kg Gorilla from Japan: Smaller Canons : New DSLR-like small cameras!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Reuters News!

* Canon to launch smaller high-quality camera -executive

* Sales of compact cameras on track to meet forecast-Canon (Adds details)

By Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai

TOKYO, July 20 (Reuters) - Japan's Canon Inc (7751.T) said on Tuesday it is thinking of slightly raising its camera sales forecast for 2010 from the current 25.9 million units, thanks to better-than-expected sales in the profitable interchangeable lens camera segment.

Sales of compact cameras, forecast at 21 million units, are in line with expectations, Masaya Maeda, head of the Image Communication Products division at the world's biggest digital camera maker, said in an interview.

Canon is likely to post a 180 percent jump in profits to about 182 billion yen ($2.10 billion) for the January-June period, the Nikkei business daily said earlier this month. The company last revised its annual camera sales forecast upwards in April and is set to announce its April-June results on July 27.

Maeda also said the company was working on a smaller version of its upmarket single-lens reflex (SLR) cameras in a bid to compete with the new breed of mid-range so-called "mirrorless" cameras launched by Sony Corp (6758.T), Olympus Corp (7733.T), and Panasonic Corp (6752.T).

Nikon (7731.T) also has a new camera in the works, though it has yet to reveal details.

Doug Kerr

I think that very soon the vehicle of choice for serious (if not "obsessive") digital photography will be interchangeable-lens electronic viewfinder machines.

The question is what format sizes will be available. I think that today this genre is pretty well confined to the Four-Thirds format. Perhaps we will see them in 22x15mm and even 35x24 mm formats.

Whether or not we will want to carry two pound lenses on one pound bodies is another matter altogether.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I think that very soon the vehicle of choice for serious (if not "obsessive") digital photography will be interchangeable-lens electronic viewfinder machines.

The question is what format sizes will be available. I think that today this genre is pretty well confined to the Four-Thirds format. Perhaps we will see them in 22x15mm and even 35x24 mm formats.

Whether or not we will want to carry two pound lenses on one pound bodies is another matter altogether.

Doug,

The model I like best is the Ricoh GXR. The 50 mm Macro lens is beyond superb, lightweight and has an APS-C size sensor of the class of a Canon Rebel and the easiest to use shooting control menu!

The other units, to keep the use a smaller sensor, the 24-70 and the 28-300.

Asher