• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

IR and M8.. what problem?

JimCollum

pro member
having shot for years with a Betterlight scanning back, where there's no IR blocking between the lens and the sensor, and requires a filter all the time (unless doing IR images), the thought of having the IR cut filter on the Leica doesn't seem that daunting.. in fact.. for someone who does a lot of IR imagery, it's an advantage.

Some shots with the M8 and Zeiss 50mm Sonnar lens

L1012017-ir.jpg

L1012059-ir.jpg

L1012084-ir.jpg

L1012074-ir.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jim,

It's wonderful to see your work and this is splendid! At treat :)

The first two pictures are Big Sur?

The Zeiss? I'm impressed! Did you use the tape with black dots trick to get the camera to believe it was a Leica Noctilux?

The last two pictures seem to be the accumulation of water splashing on to the rocks? Is that correct?

I guess you have a very good gilter excluding visible light and so the low shutter speed to get these effects.

At first I thought you might haver used the Betterlight scanning against the wave motion to get that effect, but I see these are all M8 shots!

Asher

JimCollum

pro member
Nope.. didn't do anything.. the Zeiss doesn't have any markings.. guess by default it thinks it's at f1.0 (have seen that on all of the zeiss images).

i think what you're refering to are sea trees (not sure exactly the type of seaweed) normally they're greenish/red, but the IR turns them completely white.

Non-ir shot

L1012075.jpg

Jim,

It's wonderful to see your work and this is splendid! At treat :)

The first two pictures are Big Sur?

The Zeiss? I'm impressed! Did you use the tape with black dots trick to get the camera to believe it was a Leica Noctilux?

The last two pictures seem to be the accumulation of water splashing on to the rocks? Is that correct?

I guess you have a very good gilter excluding visible light and so the low shutter speed to get these effects.

At first I thought you might haver used the Betterlight scanning against the wave motion to get that effect, but I see these are all M8 shots!

Asher

Nat Burgess

M8 Infrared

Thanks for sharing these shots - they have an other worldy "day after" feel to them that is softened by the warm tone. It seems logical to make lemonades out of lemons and shoot the M8 with an IR pass filter. I've been digging around a bit and trying to figure out which pass filter to get. One consideration is that I want to include people where possible, which may rule out the extremely long exposure times required by the strongest filter (that block everything below 900). If you have any thoughts or advice on shooting IR with the M8 that you would be willing to share, I would appreciate it.

Also, here is a link to an M8 IR photo taken by Irakly Shanidze which I found quite intriguing. The link goes to the photographer's site:

http://www.shanidze.com/temp/L1000061.jpg

JimCollum

pro member
900nm is way too high.. very little visual light will make it through. If i recall, Irakly uses a 720/715nm filter (which i'm looking for at this moment to order one). I like his work.. both IR and normal. His images using those filters are handheld.. but i'm not sure which ISO he uses

Thanks for sharing these shots - they have an other worldy "day after" feel to them that is softened by the warm tone. It seems logical to make lemonades out of lemons and shoot the M8 with an IR pass filter. I've been digging around a bit and trying to figure out which pass filter to get. One consideration is that I want to include people where possible, which may rule out the extremely long exposure times required by the strongest filter (that block everything below 900). If you have any thoughts or advice on shooting IR with the M8 that you would be willing to share, I would appreciate it.

Also, here is a link to an M8 IR photo taken by Irakly Shanidze which I found quite intriguing. The link goes to the photographer's site:

http://www.shanidze.com/temp/L1000061.jpg

Hi Jim,

I just joined the forum and replied to the post re: our feelings about the M8 before I saw your post.

First, thank you for helping me develop IR photos taken at the GETDPI workshop in Monterey. Since the workshop, I've been using the M8 for IR on every outing and I'm having a great time with it. I keep a 28mm lens filtered just for this and set up profile 2 for IR use.

I've been using the Hoya 092 filter.

I think I'd be one of the few to be happy if an M9 had IR capability!

I'm glad I have had the chance to thank you in public for your help with my move to IR with the M8.

Thanks, steve

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jim,

Looks like we have some broken links! If the correct image url's are supplied, I'll be happy to repair the thread!

Asher