• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

ImageMagick (continued)

StuartRae

Try the following and you will be amazed. Install the ImageMagick. Create a new batch file (with the extension .bat) on your desktop. Edit it and add the following text:
Code:

convert %1 -depth 16 -filter Mitchell -gamma 0.4545455 -resize 200%% -gamma 2.2 "%~n1_IM_200_pct.tif"

Drag and drop any tif file you want to resize onto this icon. The batchfile will then resize your image to 200% and output a new 16-bit tif file with the addition of _IM_200_pct to the original file name. It will create this new file in the same directory as the original image which is dragged and dropped. The resizing works in the 16 bit domain making use of a gamma of 1. The output may need a slight sharpening which you can do in your favorite program.

PS: The idea of using batchfiles with ImageMagick like this is of course courtesy of Bart. You can also create this batch file in the Send To folder so that you can right-click on any file and execute the action.

PS2: You can also use QImage to uprezz even if you are not printing. Just choose the output type "file" and create a upsized document using an imaginary printer size with an imaginary ppi (together resulting in the required final image dimensions in pixels).

Cem

Hi Cem,

Thanks for the above. I use the Send To option quite a bit - it works very well with ExifTool.
I realise that QI can be used without printing, but it gives me a headache struggling through the maze of menus :-(

BTW, Irfan View has the option to use Lanczos, and FSIV has both Lanczos and Mitchell.

I've installed IM, but so far it crashes with everything I give to it. I've got a couple of old programs that need to be run as Administrator in Win 7, but that didn't help. I'll keep trying; my brain needs a bit of exercise!

Regards,

Stuart

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem,

Thanks for the above. I use the Send To option quite a bit - it works very well with ExifTool.
I realise that QI can be used without printing, but it gives me a headache struggling through the maze of menus :-(

BTW, Irfan View has the option to use Lanczos, and FSIV has both Lanczos and Mitchell.

I've installed IM, but so far it crashes with everything I give to it. I've got a couple of old programs that need to be run as Administrator in Win 7, but that didn't help. I'll keep trying; my brain needs a bit of exercise!

Regards,

Stuart
Just to make sure that this isn't your problem: the batch file I have attached expects a tif file as input. If you feed a jpg file to it, it does not work. Or did you mean that IM does not work at all?

PS: I have just discovered that IrfanView also does Mitchell. :)

StuartRae

Hi Cem,

I need to experiment with other options, but certainly the convert module (16-bit) crashed when fed with a 16-bit TIFF.

Regards,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Make sure you installed the dynamic DLL version of the precompiled binaries. The ImageMagick website has an installation/setup file for the 16-bit file version that automatically adjusts your Path to include the ImageMagick program directory. That allows to use e.g. the 'convert' command from any subdirectory without redirection.

Also, some applications put out non-standard Tiff formatted files, which might cause a conflict. Test with a standard single layer TIFF or JPEG.

Cheers,
Bart

StuartRae

Hi Stuart,

Make sure you installed the dynamic DLL version of the precompiled binaries. The ImageMagick website has an installation/setup file for the 16-bit file version that automatically adjusts your Path to include the ImageMagick program directory. That allows to use e.g. the 'convert' command from any subdirectory without redirection.

Also, some applications put out non-standard Tiff formatted files, which might cause a conflict. Test with a standard single layer TIFF or JPEG.

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Bart,

Thanks.

Yes, I have the DLL version 6.7.3 (not the static version).

The TIFFs I've tried (both 16-bit and 8-bit) are bog-standard (as far as TIFF can be) single layer, uncompressed images written by Photoshop.

Both Convert and Identify work fine with JPEGs and PNGs. Both modules crash ( Problem Event Name: APPCRASH) with all TIFFs.

More thinking required.

Regards,

Stuart

More thinking required.

Hi Stuart,

Just mentioning the obvious, but I saw on the download page that the C++ 2010 redistributable is required now, and that there is also a 64x version available. I didn't notice these earlier, so maybe there are some bugs that need ironing out? I haven't checked their forum yet, maybe it's already mentoned there?

Good luck,
Bart

StuartRae

I saw on the download page that the C++ 2010 redistributable is required now, and that there is also a 64x version available.

Thanks Bart. I've already installed the C++ redistributable. I'm running 32-bit Windows (for better or worse; my decision after much agonising).

As I said, it's only TIFFs that produce a crash.

Stiff drink required, and then sleep on it. In a previous existence I found that my brain works better in unattended processing mode.

Regards,

Stuart