Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old November 18th, 2011, 01:32 PM

Default Lytro

http://www.lytro.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyRSYGcFVM

So it's actually here.

A few things I don't like based on reading and some of the sample pics you can play with.

File size is very small once you download and process. Like 1000x1000 or something close to that.
No raw.
Can only be used with a MAC(for now)
You can only upload photos to Lyrtro.com before you post them anywhere else(I've read but not 100%)

I'm not like the inability to control DOF. You cannot control your aperture so it's a constant F2.
When playing with some of the images on their site I've noticed that infinity isn't too sharp. Also if you choose to focus on an object just far enough away, you'll have very off foreground but focus from subject to infinity is sharp(relatively).

No shutter control, no ambient control. I might want to have some motion blur in my photo.

No in camera options besides exposure compensation I believe.

In hindsight, I would bet this trype of sensor would blow the first digital sensor made out of the water.

I'm wondering what dynamic range one of these sensors can capture.

I think my next purchase is still going to be medium or large format film system....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakekleinphotography/
Old November 20th, 2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake klein View Post
http://www.lytro.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyRSYGcFVM

So it's actually here.

A few things I don't like based on reading and some of the sample pics you can play with.

File size is very small once you download and process. Like 1000x1000 or something close to that.
No raw.
Can only be used with a MAC(for now)
You can only upload photos to Lyrtro.com before you post them anywhere else(I've read but not 100%)

I'm not like the inability to control DOF. You cannot control your aperture so it's a constant F2.
When playing with some of the images on their site I've noticed that infinity isn't too sharp. Also if you choose to focus on an object just far enough away, you'll have very off foreground but focus from subject to infinity is sharp(relatively).

No shutter control, no ambient control. I might want to have some motion blur in my photo.

No in camera options besides exposure compensation I believe.

In hindsight, I would bet this trype of sensor would blow the first digital sensor made out of the water.

I'm wondering what dynamic range one of these sensors can capture.

I think my next purchase is still going to be medium or large format film system....
Jake,

thanks for popping info on this up again.. i DLed the MD paper and have started to read it...

I already have a sensor not unlike the one described - its in my head i think

cheers
Old November 20th, 2011, 06:23 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

They say that the file size is HD. What do you think they mean by that? So let's sat it's somewhere between 1280 720 and 1440 1080 for HDV 720p and HDV 1080i respectively. So let's use the small size, 1280x720 or 129.6 K pixels final output image.

If one used adjacent images, one could prepare interesting stitched panos where one would choose to blue parts of the background, for example to isolate one flower or group of people, building or sculpture. So I imagine quite creative work could be done.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old November 21st, 2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
They say that the file size is HD. What do you think they mean by that? So let's sat it's somewhere between 1280 720 and 1440 1080 for HDV 720p and HDV 1080i respectively. So let's use the small size, 1280x720 or 129.6 K pixels final output image.

If one used adjacent images, one could prepare interesting stitched panos where one would choose to blue parts of the background, for example to isolate one flower or group of people, building or sculpture. So I imagine quite creative work could be done.

Asher
Interesting things could be done, but it seems as though just picking focal points would get quite boring, to me at least. Now if one could have all the options of a DSLR with interchangeable lens. Like choosing your DOF or your aperture after the shot as well. It seems with the constant f2 aperture you're losing alot of choices. What if I want hyperfocal focusing?

Again, this is the first of this type of sensor to hit the storefronts.

We sure have come a long way since.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakekleinphotography/
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:44 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Jake,

There's not a lot new in this that can't be done by other means to higher resolution. There have been a number of inventions in this regard. Adobe has a plenoptic lens and sensor. One can do even better with an array of digicams on a frame. Even two cameras would do it. These camera arrays were made 10 years ago! I used to collect articles to build one but somehow other things took over. Since then, the mathematics of refocusing OOF rays of light has improved. One of these new cameras with dual lenses could have firmware to do a very good job if someone put their mind to it.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.