• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Charroux

Helene Anderson

Situated in the south of the Vienne (86) a small town that once had a railway.

Trying to find information here is really difficult, that surprises me, looking at things sometimes I wonder if I am looking at ghosts. One person even suggested that one of the stations on the line never existed ! ! ! I'm chasing ghosts of things that never were half the time, or so it feels like.

Charroux looks tired, surrounded now by other, more modern buildings. Buildings that look as though they are used for agricultural business.

001A-Copie.jpg

Front of Station

All boarded up now, though at the side of the buildings there are large doors and on the platform side there are stairs to the first floor suggesting that the building, after the station had closed, saw other uses.

002A-Copie.jpg

Eastern end of Station.

004A-Copie.jpg

From the side facing the lines.

I took a few other photos, with a bit more info on my blog here.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Hélène,

Great building, great photos, great story.

I don't know the actual setting of the old station building, but the near-isolation reflected by the vantage of your shots seems so fitting.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Cem_Usakligil

Bonjour Hélène,

I have enjoyed reading the story on your blog and the pictures too. The dirt track where the rails used to be was particularly interesting.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Situated in the south of the Vienne (86) a small town that once had a railway.

Trying to find information here is really difficult, that surprises me, looking at things sometimes I wonder if I am looking at ghosts. One person even suggested that one of the stations on the line never existed ! ! ! I'm chasing ghosts of things that never were half the time, or so it feels like.

Charroux looks tired, surrounded now by other, more modern buildings. Buildings that look as though they are used for agricultural business.

001A-Copie.jpg

Front of Station

All boarded up now, though at the side of the buildings there are large doors and on the platform side there are stairs to the first floor suggesting that the building, after the station had closed, saw other uses.

002A-Copie.jpg

Eastern end of Station.

004A-Copie.jpg

From the side facing the lines.

I took a few other photos, with a bit more info on my blog here.

Bonjour Hélène,,

Timing and point of view! You've done well. The long diagonal shadows work very well and provide drama to the solid geometry you've built. It brings back memories of my trips to Alsace, with buildings like that when I trudged into a sleepy village after sleeping beyond a highway, on a tarpaulin, hidden beyond by bushes and tall wild grass. Just add barking of dogs and a slight mist!

Asher

Asher

Helene Anderson

The local rag has got a thing on their blog and will be publishing something in their weekly paper about me looking for stories re industrial heritage locally. My approaching the paper came after someone here (a couple of people in different ways mentioned it) about recording what is left. Not just what is 'left', perhaps there are one or two business tucked away that have been quietly working away for years and intend to carry on working for years.