• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

M8 135mm Leica Photographs: Artistic RAW Challenge On the High Seas!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
M8 Artistic RAW Challenge On the High Seas!

Steve Teitelbaum, once again has kindly allowed his M8 RAW files to be used here to examine approach to the sailboat on the horizon as the sun sinks into the dark waters.

L1002463_.jpg

Here we'll email you (on request) 4 different DNG files with slightly different content for development in the RAW processor of your choice!

You can use components from each picture of use just one image and crop as you wish, but you must describe each step clearly.

We'll be printing the results on several different printers and publishing the results in OPF and I'll send to each person at least one of the prints at approx 11x14 signed by Steven. This edition will be limited to those who participate!

It will take about 4 weeks to prepare all the prints!

Just PM me (or email me from the front contact page) and I'll send you about 4 DNG files which I'm putting together in the morning.

You must give the image a title and add © Stev Teitelbaum 2006 on the edge. Post at 900 pixels wide sRGB. Also send me the PSD file (or other file) with layers for printing DO NOT FLATTEN that file as we may need to tweak for printing if that copy is chosen.

Issues you must creatively:

Title
color scheme and tonality
Water corrected or not
Sky treated how
Birds cloned or not
Boat high in the water, both boats or just one use the boat with the mem or not
Sun: add color or not
Light beams: treat how?
Reflections in water: leave as is?

Good luck!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

I'm now back to posting images, so if you have been waiting, please send me a new PM and I'll immediately send out the images.

Again thanks to long time Leica shooter, Steve Teitelbaum for the generosity in providing his images to OPF for this challenge! The lens used, BTW, was a 135mm f 3.4 Apo-Telyt-.M which means that there's a huge challenge in framing. The "frame" is perhaps twice the area of the focus square. So it's more about aiming than framing!

Download the files ending with 2466.DNG, 2467.DNG, 2462.DNG, 2457.DNG and 2452 for the boat series. To open them use any RAW processor and say how you did it.

Asher

P.S. The remaining files are for the New York Central Park challenge.

Last edited:

John_Nevill

Here's my remix of the scene:

L1002462.jpg

I tried a no of crops, 16:9, 4:3 and settled on 10:8.

I replaced the motor yacht, cloned the birds and highlights, selectively pushed the contrast (doging / burning) and tweaked the white balance. Removed the dust / hot pixel and added some vibrancy. I then flattened the image converted to sRGB before resizing and outputting to 8 bit jpeg,
The prophoto colourspace PSD shows much better sky graduation.

Asher Kelman

John,

You have done a splendid job of fusion of the scenes on the shifting watery platform of Steve's boat.

The birds by the sun is an extra touch which finishes the picture well.

You didn't state what RAW workflow you used? Was it Adobe RAW or what?

Asher

Brian Lowe

Here is my rendition

I guess I am in a abstract kind of mood at the moment, LOL

What I did was process the photo in Lightroom then, did the final abstract tweaking in CS3.

I did not have any preconceived vision on what to do with the photos other than go with my feelings of the moment and this is what I came up with...

Enjoy

-Brian-

125298470-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

Brian,

You are gutsy for sure! This is a hangover from you looking at too many parrots on Costa Rica!

Certaimnly you have made a unique and orignal con tribution that I would never have imagined and for sure Steve Teitelbaum never dreamed of. I hope you keep the original PSD layered image so we can print this full size and have all the images shown side by side.

Congrats.

Of interest to me that the subject is the sun buring up the sky and boiling the sea in a last ditch attempt to control the world.

The guys on the sailboat must have messed up there pants by now and are praying in 12 languages.

I like the totally free and aggressive way you have rendered everything around the sun. The sailboat counterbalances the sun and its disturbance and is only a minor player in the scene.

I'm looking forward to printing this and seeing what it looks like in real life. Thanks brian for the contribution.

Asher