• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Exhibition" Pictures for Discussion and Questions A Call for your immediate attention: Exhibition in Los Angeles May 2015

Here are some exhibit-oriented nude images

PB1_1276_ak-1024x683_CENSORED.jpg

Check out my new project, a photobook, here. I hope you'll post some feedback on it.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hello Aaron,

Using the violin is an excellent contrast and complement to her form. This works well in B&W and I think might sell. I also looked at your kickstarter project and am impressed with the effort and ambition of the whole idea - to make a photo book in beautiful Bermuda, with a bevy of simply wonderful models is as near to artistic nirvana and paradise one could get!

There the people shown are happy and communicative with the word, a great sense of being alive and positively aware of the world. Here, in this B&W photograph, there is little of that. We just see a curved shape with almost no reference to sensuality, just to form and balance.

I hope you can find more like this as they sell in art shows. The more glamorous works also are sought after, especially if they are signed by J]ock Sturges, LOL! Still, this picture you have shared with us can sell without recognizing an name or having a title or introduction.

Asher

Rachel McLain

IMO we should all be fussy about how our work is printed! It is a huge piece of being a photographer to me.

I am stunned it would last under running water like that! Wow!

My work is printed at a local atelier and I'm likely the worst and most fussy client! The printer is a 12 ink Canon pigment in machine, 60" wide.

It dries so well and even uncoated, withstood my test of running warm water for 5 minutes without any harm!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thank you Asher for implementing the work of others with your own.
But here I have a little issue. My prints are supposed to be framed. This is the reason why they have a small margin between the end of the image itself and the end of the paper on each side and top, exception made to the bottom part because of text.
Under this basis the table I have posted before is perfectly valid with however, some small adjustments.

But, if the paper is to be directly applied on Dibond the dimensions shown are incorrect. Why ? Because I want all my images to be placed inside it's support (the Dibond) with certain visual related proportions.
I would say that if photographs are to be applied on Dibond or similar then they are restricted to A5, A4 and A3+ sizes.
In fact, for financial reasons I would - if I may - opt for the Dibond solution. Under this assumption, the measures of the images as stated in the grid I posted before, are incorrect. I will have to establish the image size (printed area) and visually evaluate the impact of this decision experimenting and testing before final work is sent.
-
Other points I am concerned about are the investment I would have - if selected - to make. Money is very expensive these days, you know... :)
And for how much could one image - from an unknown photographer across the pond - could be sold ?

Here I show you three very different presentations. I do not like neither of them although the last one is near the acceptable presentation. However, certain variations will be visible as the relative proportions of the paper are different when using the A3+ as this paper format is not an A native.

Thank you for your attention and concern ! :)

i-f5DC3j6-X2.jpg

But, after reading this post over and over, I decided to show you what I think would look like a final presentation on an A3+ less 2mm all around for Dibond cutting adjustments.
The black canvas is just to pop the final work on the light area of the forum.
-
Some minutes later
Trying to suit the image bellow to the A3+ I came to the conclusion that this format will have to be cut more than 2mm. Oh well, I am being very picky am I not ?
Presentation IS very important !

i-MbLJg78-X2.jpg

Antonio,

You would only have to pay for the wall space you needed. So imagine that you would have say 4 foot wide space, (48" or 120 cm), that would not be a big expense.

I am thinking of having a white border - an inch all the way around my prints and 1.5" on the bottom to contain my signature. Even on Dibond, but I have to try it first!

There is no problem framing your pictures here with the black frame of your choosing. We can get them from Aaron Brothers. I will ask Will Thompson's friendly framer if we can get a group rate.

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thank you James.
The photographs were done inside a palace from the beginning of the XXth century.
As curiosity it was in this palace that Jacqueline Kennedy was after his husband was killed.
Since then it has been transformed without success being now left to the elements.
I am sure that at this moment, it is more degraded than when I was there, last year
-
I see here great potential of success in a collective exhibition.
From the magnificent bouquets of Paula Chamlee to the nudes of Nicholas, there is a wide choice of excellent images.
I am particularly impressed by the houses of Michael Smith on the new trend of - what I think it is - modern photography.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Excellent.
I would like to submit some projects of mines which I include herewith.
I think the submission to the curators can be done without any firm compromize. If they accept it is already a great step and fantastic to begin with.
Then, we have the financial issue. The mentioned amount is huge for me but something can be arranged.
My prints are only on A5, A4 and A3+ sheets of paper.
A5 = 14.85 cm x 21.00 cm = 5.85 in x 8.27 in
A4 = 29.70 x 21.00 = 11.69 in x 8.27 in
A3+ = 32.8 cm x 48.3 cm = 12.91 in x 19.02 in

Perhaps these sizes are too humble but the quality is pretty good on both. :)
Larger prints could be done but then I would have to order them somewhere as you know, I print my own work in the sizes mentioned above.
I have also Folios of my work which are in fact, a small collection of 5 prints in a sophisticated and exquisite envelope.
A simple and naive :) question: how much can a 32.8 in x 48.3 in be sould !
I have 5 (!) projects to submit. 1 with 19 images and 4 with 15 images each !
Am I overdoing ? Is this too much ?
How am I supposed to post here the images ? One by one or a sheet with lots of them ?
Or rather as usual larger and with canvas ?
i-vRTXQSm-X2.jpg

i-vnMqbSd-X2.jpg

i-cdWJ4KN-X2.jpg

i-Kpz3dLZ-X2.jpg

Hi Antonio
You know than I am not a fan of B&W but these images of mountains are stunning!
Kudos

Antonio Correia

Merci Nicolas.
There are a lot of people who likes these images.
I sold one last month to someone I know. Lucky me.
These images have been in gallery one for a some time now :)

Darkroom prints

Hello Asher,

Typical of me to only see this thread quite a bit later than when you posted it! I was wondering if you might be interested in exhibiting some of my work? I would certainly be honoured. As you know, I still print in the darkroom - these are all from medium- or large-format negatives. I could print a nice "matched" set of 16x20 images from these. BTW, I only made one photograph during this past december, which I am quite proud of, which I have not scanned yet. Once I manage to do so, I'll add it to to the set.

What do you think of the logistics of this? I'd have to courier them over to you from South Africa.
Hand prints are getting rarer, and I'd certainly not print more than two of each, so it might add a little something.

Haunted Africana Library
10365535404_a080a79029_b.jpg

Nudge
11716341046_280fb9be05_b.jpg

Secrecy in the Knysna Forest
7988900608_3cf65ca7e3_b.jpg

Once bitten, twice shy
10052358263_2e049eac3e_b.jpg

Stranglehold
10051977104_21e813b712_o.jpg

Time and Space
time_and_space_by_philosomatographer-d4wduyj.jpg

Asher Kelman

Hello Asher,

Typical of me to only see this thread quite a bit later than when you posted it! I was wondering if you might be interested in exhibiting some of my work? I would certainly be honoured. As you know, I still print in the darkroom - these are all from medium- or large-format negatives. I could print a nice "matched" set of 16x20 images from these. BTW, I only made one photograph during this past december, which I am quite proud of, which I have not scanned yet. Once I manage to do so, I'll add it to to the set.

What do you think of the logistics of this? I'd have to courier them over to you from South Africa.
Hand prints are getting rarer, and I'd certainly not print more than two of each, so it might add a little something.

Dawid,

Your work is stellar. Silver gelatin is much admired by me and I have always loved your work! Thanks for coming in!

16"x20" is a very good size. You can send the pictures matted and I'd frame them. very large pictures can be rolled up and put in a tube.

I will get a price list for mounting and framing locally.

Haunted Africana Library
10365535404_a080a79029_b.jpg

Nudge
11716341046_280fb9be05_b.jpg

Secrecy in the Knysna Forest
7988900608_3cf65ca7e3_b.jpg

Once bitten, twice shy
10052358263_2e049eac3e_b.jpg

Stranglehold
10051977104_21e813b712_o.jpg

Time and Space
time_and_space_by_philosomatographer-d4wduyj.jpg

I love these pictures, especially the flower leaning on the tree, the branches arms reaching to heaven and the butterfly!

Asher

Chris Calohan

March 3rd, 2015 Fog

16096736324_89cc874999_b_d.jpg

The Trees, The Forest and the Fog

16707753312_816c6bf092_b_d.jpg

Sol's Old Soul

16714312025_f72e10e395_b_d.jpg

Early Morning at Buttonbush​

I'm still deciding on sizes and finishes, but I am almost thinking these should all be on a high gloss finish and both Sol and Buttonbush to be fairly large, 20 x 30 w and 16 x 20 w respectively and Trees at 12 x 24 V

Asher Kelman

I'd be interested if you feel like you'd like to include a few of mine. Here's a taste of a series I do with reflections and shadows. All taken on the same surface in natural light but the surface looks very different depending on the time of day and the weather.

I generally print at 16x20 (and usually on metallic paper, FWIW).

These are all pretty new and most don't have titles yet.

DSC_0069_5417%2520smaller.jpg

Fragile%2520DSC_0047_5375%2520smaller.jpg

DSC_0130_5409%2520smaller.jpg

DSC_0103_5414%2520smaller.jpg

DSC_0153_5412%2520smaller.jpg

Rach

Rachel,

You've done well with your reflections and shadows, a set of motifs that offer endless discovery and expression. Looking forward to seeing more.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Three more Vintage from the series Vintage

I just happen to pick this one! It needs siblings. In a show, we would like to present sets of images where some thread of neighborliness is evident by sharing in common some motif or set of colors, shapes or feeling. They should be different but clearly members of the same family or community of experience.

The three you have shown right now, are each a downpayment of what you have yet to reveal! We want to present your well and increase the chances of sales. Each set of work must uplift the entire exhibition. Isolated pictures, unless of something quite exceptional, generally by an artist with avid following, do note get the same attention as members of a coherent series.

Asher