Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Darkroom > Image Processing and Workflow

Image Processing and Workflow RAW, DNG , TIFF and JPG. From Capture to Ready for Publish/Display. All software and techniques used within an image workflow, (except extensive retouching and repair or DAM).

Old June 15th, 2015, 06:27 PM

Default Online film emulation

I came across the website of a JS Developer named Jason Wagner, who has created an Online Film Emulation Application that anyone can run their images through.

http://29a.ch/film-emulator/

I wanted to test and see just how good the looks were. To my eye, I recognized the look of many films that I used to use in my professional and personal pleasure film shooting days.

While the website is not able to use specific file names, I think like myself, any familiar with the popular films of the day can figure out what the emulations are. I simply applied the STOCK LOOKS without customizing with Grain, Vignette, Vibrance, Contrast and Brightness - all which are possible for refining the look.

This thread will be a little PHOTO HEAVY (WARNING) - but it may give an idea of possible looks with the few that I have selected that I regularly used. Starting with a photo I recently took of one of my granddaughters.

ORIGINAL FILE:
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:29 PM

APEX 25:

PANCHROMATIC 50:

MAX 100:

NEO 1600:
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:31 PM

TRI 3200:

HI SPEED INFRARED:

CHROME 25:

CHROME 200:
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:33 PM

VELVIA 50:

PORTRAIT 160NC:

PORTRAIT 400UC:

SUPERIA XTRA 800:
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:35 PM

POLAROID PRO 669:

60's FADED (a whole section of colour and black and white filters for print emulations):
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:39 PM

For the above I started with an image file that was already resized to 960 pixels, for speed. But I also wanted to try a full resolution file, randomly picked off of my hard drive with absolutely no corrections or processing - dodging and burning etc.

The speed to save the file was not terrible. This is a good app for processing a few photos at a time and saving them back to your computer or desktop. After saving and processing the full size files, I then resized in Photoshop to website for inclusion in this post.

ORIGINAL IMAGE:
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:41 PM

HP SENSITIVE 5:

VELVET 50:

CHROME 200:

LIGHT BLOWN:
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:43 PM

I know that there are a pile of FILM EMULATORS around - many that are more easily integrated into desktop software - - - but here is another, and it is FREE. Great to for quick run throughs when posting an image or two on the web or Instagram or Facebook etc. no need to open Photoshop or other. So quick that way

Online Film Emulator: http://29a.ch/film-emulator/

-------
Old June 15th, 2015, 07:02 PM

Hi, Rob,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Watcher View Post
Very nice shot.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug