Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Darkroom > Image Processing and Workflow

Image Processing and Workflow RAW, DNG , TIFF and JPG. From Capture to Ready for Publish/Display. All software and techniques used within an image workflow, (except extensive retouching and repair or DAM).

Old September 13th, 2016, 05:40 AM

Default Amazing content aware tools with affinity photo

Yes Photoshop has Content Aware tools - but I really like the Inpainting Brush and Inpainting Fill tools available with Affinity Photo.

I threw together this video where I show real images being drastically improved in only a few seconds. Electric lines are easily replaced with sky, content is created where there was none, and great images of musicians performing are dramatically improved with a touch of the Inpainting Brush.

For some reason I have just never caught on to the content replacement tools in Photoshop. I'm sure the results are similar to what is being accomplished in Affinity Photo. I just find this program to be effortless and gives me a great head start to retouching - - - quickly.

Last edited by Robert Watcher; September 13th, 2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old September 13th, 2016, 07:35 AM

Hi, Robert,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Watcher View Post
Yes Photoshop has Content Aware tools - but I really like the Inpainting Brush and Inpainting Fill tools available with Affinity Photo.

In threw together this video where I show real images being drastically improved in only a few seconds. Electric lines are easily replaced with sky, content is created where there was none, and great images of musicians performing are dramatically improved with a touch of the Inpainting Brush.

For some reason I have just never caught on to the content replacement tools in Photoshop. I'm sure the results are similar to what is being accomplished in Affinity Photo. I just find this program to be effortless and gives me a great head start to retouching - - - quickly.
Thank you so for this report.

I look forward eagerly to the arrival of the public beta version of Affinity Photo for Windows. (As you know, I recently got involved, by mistake, with the public beta version of Affinity Designer - the sister "illustration program" - for Windows!)

Best regards,

Doug
Old September 13th, 2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kerr View Post
Hi, Robert,

Thank you so for this report.

I look forward eagerly to the arrival of the public beta version of Affinity Photo for Windows. (As you know, I recently got involved, by mistake, with the public beta version of Affinity Designer - the sister "illustration program" - for Windows!)

Best regards,

Doug

I do graphic design work on occassion and thinking about adding Affinity Designer to my arsenal in the future. Going back to the 1990's I was a heavy user of Corel Draw with my PC Workstation. I did a lot of design work for companies during those years.

Over the past 8 or 9 years however, I have increasingly relied on my Macbooks to handle all of my heavy work. I just never had the inclination to spend the huge amount of money on Adobe Illustrator or to invest the time needed to learn a new program. And so for any graphic designer work I have had - I just worked within the limitations of Photoshop.

But to have a full fledged dedicated Design application from Affinity - at such a reasonable price - for my Mac ---- is getting very tempting.

------
Old September 13th, 2016, 09:16 AM

Hi, Robert,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Watcher View Post
I do graphic design work on occassion and thinking about adding Affinity Designer to my arsenal in the future. Going back to the 1990's I was a heavy user of Corel Draw with my PC Workstation. I did a lot of design work for companies during those years.

Over the past 8 or 9 years however, I have increasingly relied on my Macbooks to handle all of my heavy work. I just never had the inclination to spend the huge amount of money on Adobe Illustrator or to invest the time needed to learn a new program. And so for any graphic designer work I have had - I just worked within the limitations of Photoshop.

But to have a full fledged dedicated Design application from Affinity - at such a reasonable price - for my Mac ---- is getting very tempting.
Yes, and now that I have the Windows beta version of Affinity Designer installed, I plan to see what I can learn about it.

I use Corel Draw (the slightly-lesser of Corel's two "illustration" programs) for my "vector drawing" work, which is mostly what I might call "technical sketches".

I had for many years used Micrografx Designer (which was eventually absorbed by Corel), but various functionalities would no longer work properly under modern versions of Windows so I had to move on.

Best regards,

Doug