Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old May 11th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Inactive

Default New Flash Memory Standard In The Works

Just a marketing data point on the flash memory road map.
REDMOND, Wash. and MILPITAS, Calif. – May 11, 2007 – Microsoft and SanDisk® Corporation (NASDAQ: SNDK) today announced they have signed an agreement to deliver a next-generation software and hardware solution to place application programs and personal customization on USB flash drives and flash memory cards, expanding on and replacing SanDisk’s existing U3™ Smart Technology...
It has some cool implications but may cause issues with things like Photoshop and other tools that use online software validation schemes.

enjoy your day,

Sean
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:25 PM

That makes sense. Already you can buy Garmin GPS update maps on SD cards, so I suppose as storage media gets cheaper we will see this happening more and more.
www.goldwingfacts.com
Old May 11th, 2007, 02:19 PM

Default Yuck!

I am very unhappy with the U3 technology. I use the USB flash memory all the time and I made the mistake of buying a few with the U3 technology. They make using them a pain in the you know where. I much prefer the Lexar flash USB drives.
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:00 AM

You can always un-install the U3 software, or else set the preference so it doen't auto-launch when you insert the flash.

Beware that if you un-install U3, you may or may not be able to re-install it, depending on just who vended the flash to you in the first place. To be safe, if you think you might want to play with it in the future, just disable the auto-play feature in the preferences, and go from there.