• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Do Flies sleep?

First let me appologize for the poor quality, I was only having a camera in my hands for a few days, when I took this. It was made with a 200 euro JPG point and shoot, hence the poor output.

However, enthusiastically running around with my new camera my goal was to capture the wing coils of a fly. Finally I found one that was sitting quietly, and I got closer and closer until the lense was may be 5 inches away when she opened one eye and then buzzed away. Which triggered my question; Do Flies sleep? <grins>

The wings of a Fly are most fascinating, Flies are among the fastest flying insects, both wings can speed up independantly with different speeds, which allows them some unusual aerobatics.

The speed of the wings of a common house fly is around 200 Hz, 200 beats per second. In general, insects with synchronous flight muscles have relatively low wing beat frequencies up to about 50 Hz; insects with asynchronous flight muscles, like this fly here often have higher frequencies usually over 100 Hz. It also means a high degree of maneuverability, with very high speeds and wing beat frequencies (up to 1000 beats per second in tiny midges), and a control of direction and position which permits access to every possible landing site, even upside down on ceilings.

Later this day I found some other interesting insetcs and goofed around with photoshop until this x-ray like picture came out...

I had great fun with that little camera for a few weeks, until I decided photograph is something I wish to get deeper into and bought my first DSLR. Karen's daughter was more than happy to take the Konica Minolta.

Chuck Bragg

Yes

In Time magazine, Mar 12, 2000: "Writing in the current issue of Science, the researchers report that the flies are somnolent mainly at night and active during daylight hours: that elderly (33-day-old) flies sleep less and more erratically than younger ones; that fruit flies deprived of sleep must nap longer to recover; that caffeine keeps them awake, and antihistamines make them drowsy."

Do they dream? I hope not. REM activity in a multi-faceted eye would be a terrifying thing to see. In the end, we must remember what Confucius said: "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Confucius said: "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

DON'T do that! LOL, I spit out my coffee. Hehehehe

Very interesting, thanks for that Chuck.

Now.... do bananas dream? Does it hurt when we peel them? <grins>

Your answer triggered a picture, if I would have such photoshop skills I would do it.

Imagine a massive marble floor plane, blue sky, Millions of flies standing upside down (their arse up into the sky) on that marble plane, all of them in a different stage of being peeled, and a flock of flying bananas in the sky ( like wild geese), one single giant fly leading them into their freedom.... <grins>

LOL.... I really like that picture, I am going to ask a good friend of mine who undoubtfully has such and more photoshop skills, if he has the time to give it a go.

Cem_Usakligil

....Imagine a massive marble floor plane, blue sky, Millions of flies standing upside down (their arse up into the sky) on that marble plane, all of them in a different stage of being peeled, and a flock of flying bananas in the sky ( like wild geese), one single giant fly leading them into their freedom.... <grins>
Now how many times have I warned you: swallow your pills 6 times a day and do not hide them under your tongue in order to spit them out later! <LOL>

<grins> and this at 7:30 in the morning. hehehehe

Now I am zonked, cutting down trees and strimming Gras 4 hours in one go, I lost about 5 liters. sigh.... <disappearing in chestfreezer>