• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

MkIII recall programme - Your experiences so far!

John_Nevill

A friend of mine (CPS member) called his authorised UK Canon dealer (from where he bought it) last friday and was asked to bring in his 1DMkIII.

On Saturday we turn up at the outlet and he signs it over.

On Monday he gets a phone call asking him to collect his camera, as the dealer phoned Canon UK and they would not accept it back via the authorised dealer route.

Canon UK stated it was the responsibility of the owner to orchestrate the return once they send out the relevant paperwork. Although no timescales were given.

This all seems to be a bit of a fiasco this side of the pond. How's it panning out in the US?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John,

This is reminiscent of Leica's handling of the Leica M8 infrared problem and the provision of lens discounts to pacify angry Leicophiles, down the tube for $4,600 or more! The stores we bipassed inititally, which meant they'd not get any profit on the discounted lenses!

I guess that Canon does not want to have to pay the dealers some handling fee! They should be going through dealers as an option as good service might mean that the dealer gets the next lens purchase.

I have not heard anything yet on how Canon is doing things here. Maybe Chuck will have something to add.

Asher

Ivan Garcia

This is my story so far.
The 30th of October, I returned the camera to Calumet with the intention of obtaining a full refund under the 1979 consumer act.
Calumet took the camera for assessment and shipped it to canon UK.
Their argument (a very valid one) was that it must first ascertain whether the camera is affected by the manufacture fault.
After 3 weeks with no news from Calumet, I decided to visit Canon UK (I live just 5 minutes drive form it)... They have the camera, but have not started work on it. The receptionist told me that work on the fix will start on the 6th of December, with first priorities to CPS members.
Oh, no camera was loaned to me at any time.

Steve Saunders

That, Steve, is great! 1DIII or something else? After all they have very few!

Asher

1DIII when they get more. Apparently once the "fix" starts in large numbers, cameras will be shipped to dealers in proper numbers. They reckon that now the problem has been identified, orders for the 1DIII have quadrupled (over here at least) so loaners will be available soon.