• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1DsMKIII, Phase One P21, & Mamiya ZD Compared

FYI.

I saw an interesting image comparison between the above mentioned cameras at DPreview.

Bart

P.S. At f/11 the 1Ds Mark III is diffraction limited compared to the others.

Last edited:
fantastic the canon ... as i expected it.

I agree, especially given the differences in magnification factor and diffraction (both working against the Canon, given the shooting parameters). The Canon's dynamic range seems to be a tiny bit lower than the P21's, also as expected (but could also be caused by the Raw converter used).

Bart

Eric Hiss

p21 looks best to me

The canon will be a great camera considering the AF and the speed compared to its MF competitors, however on plain image quality the P21 clearly wins here. The color, the DR are clearly better plus the image has greater depth and 3D. Just look at the windows in the building across the street and you can see the difference in the DR between the canon and the p21.

I guess since its hard to compare a DSLR with a MFDB because of the differences in shooting, the real loser here is the ZD.

I'd like to see another shootout with a leica or zeiss or even a zuiko lens fitted to the canon. I think the P21 would still show better color, and better DR.

The canon will be a great camera considering the AF and the speed compared to its MF competitors, however on plain image quality the P21 clearly wins here. The color, the DR are clearly better plus the image has greater depth and 3D. Just look at the windows in the building across the street and you can see the difference in the DR between the canon and the p21.

I guess since its hard to compare a DSLR with a MFDB because of the differences in shooting, the real loser here is the ZD.

I'd like to see another shootout with a leica or zeiss or even a zuiko lens fitted to the canon. I think the P21 would still show better color, and better DR.

i hardly doubt that the canon will have lower dr than the p21. both have 14bit files and the canon seems to be tested and to have around 11 stops usable DR. This is excelent and the p21 will have a hard game to match this even at base iso. the claimed 12stops from the manufactors is a theoretical marketing number.

Eric Hiss

Agreed

Yes at anything over about ISO 400 or perhaps even ISO 200 the new canon is going to be king. If you like to shoot wide the full frame is also a real advantage. But I think the MF is still going to produce a better file under some circumstances.