Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old December 9th, 2007, 10:55 PM
pro member

Default Nikon vs Canon

Another comparison report, this time is the D3 versus the Mk3 and it is not bad at all...

http://photobusinessforum.blogspot.c...roduction.html
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:45 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

I like Barbie the photographer!

The review by John Harrington is well done in that it is challenging to both cameras. There's a lot more to be examined than the mascara around Barbie's eyes, but in this at least, the Nikon D3 appears to fire a shot over Canon's flagship. Not necessarily a hit. But I now believe that Canon will be getting out a 12MP Foveon type sensor as I have predicted, sooner than they had planned!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old December 10th, 2007, 07:37 PM
pro member

So, Canon is broadsiding the digital backs while under attack by Nikon. They may be over extended a bit.
I think that for a big chunk of photographers a 20mp camera would be over kill and a problem since the files are really big, so they may be contented with a FF 12mp that gives them brilliant velvet image quality.

I think that what Canon should do is to leave the 1Ds Mk 2 and upgrade the camera leaving the megapixel count the way it is. the way it is now, 5D .... Mk3, there is a big gap perfect for the D3 to get in...
Old December 10th, 2007, 11:12 PM

I saw this one before,
One flaw was they uprezzed the D3 (after processing), but did not bother downrezzing the 1DsMKIII for comparison. This is something I have done with my 1DsMkII to cut down on noise when shooting at ISO 800 or 1600, which I hate doing. I note they did not post process the 1DsMkIII images much either.

I also noted a loss of detail in the D3 images over the 1DsMkIII, but for a shot on the screen with some processing done, sure the Nikon looks good. All of my airbrushed images "look" better.

So it looks like straight out of the camera shooting jpegs with no post processing the Nikon D3 looks better (maybe). I only shoot jpeg as a secondary image to give out at the end of a shoot. I shoot raw and plan on post processing to get the best results and it doesn't look like the D3 does that as well.

But that is just my opinion and maybe I am jealous, it is always a possibility, but I also used to be an imagery analyst. Just not sure which is active in my comments. So take your choice. I do know I am bias towards Canon as that is where my glass is and money going, but I do try to give credit where it is due. Nikon has a great camera, but it ain't no 1DsMkIII - in MY opinion.

Last edited by Tim Dolan (Longwatcher); December 10th, 2007 at 11:18 PM. Reason: clarification