• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1DMkIIN Flash sync question

Hi, John:

Sorry, no. The workaround is to set the shutter speed and aperture manually.

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall
Director/Media & Customer Relationship
Camera Marketing Group/Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Chuck Westfall(Canon USA) said:
Hi, John:

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your response. What are the limitations of the manual workaround. How far can one push the speed?

Asher

Hi, Asher:

It depends on the flash unit. Maximum X-sync speed on the EOS-1D Mark II N is 1/250, which is usually compatible with most if not all shoe-mount flashes. Some studio strobes have longer flash durations than others, and if that's what you're using, it's advisable to run a series of test shots to see how low you have to go to match up. A lot of the newer stusio strobes can handle 1/250, but some of the older ones force you to go no higher than 1/125.

Also, if you're using a Canon EX Speedlite, you have the option of setting it for high-speed sync, in which case any shutter speed can be selected. The trade-off is reduced distance range as shutter speeds increase past maximum X-sync speed.

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall

Tim Rucci

Flash range with hight speed synch

I frequently use flash in HSS on my MkIIN for birding and I often use a better beamer flash extender. I realize that there is a falloff of light in HSS mode the faster the shutter speed. But I'm curious if there is a chart somewhere that shows just how much. I have always been curious about just how much light fallof there is as shutter speed increases.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tim Rucci said:
I frequently use flash in HSS on my MkIIN for birding and I often use a better beamer flash extender. I realize that there is a falloff of light in HSS mode the faster the shutter speed. But I'm curious if there is a chart somewhere that shows just how much. I have always been curious about just how much light fallof there is as shutter speed increases.

Tim,

With one shot you can see the histogram.

Asher

Hi Tim,

Tim Rucci said:

I do the same, and checked the 550EX manual a few years back, looking for the same answer. Bottom line is that on average you lose about 1/3 of the flash's power with each stop above 1/250 second shutter speed. The exact figures are slightly different, but this was a close enough approximation for me.

Best,

Tim Rucci

Don Cohen said:
Hi Tim,

I do the same, and checked the 550EX manual a few years back, looking for the same answer. Bottom line is that on average you lose about 1/3 of the flash's power with each stop above 1/250 second shutter speed. The exact figures are slightly different, but this was a close enough approximation for me.

Best,

Thanks Don,
That helps put it in perspective.

Best regards,
Tim

Randy Brister

Chuck Westfall(Canon USA) said:
Hi, John:

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall

It's so nice to see that Chuck has found this site. His contributions are certainly welcome and valuable.

Randy