Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old July 22nd, 2011, 03:39 PM

Default Lucian Freud dies aged 88

Beauty as it is .....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14243713

a great painter dies..

the study of the human form
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:21 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default A Challenge: Find a Lucien Freud painting that inspires or moves you and say why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hampton View Post
Beauty as it is .....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14243713

a great painter dies..

the study of the human form
No comments here to date might be partly because he never was hip with the generation that fell for digital cameras! So here's the challenge. Find a picture of Lucian Freud that impresses you and post/link here. So here's my kick off choice:

Look at the discussion here To me Lucien's wosk is grotesque in a sympathetic way. It's the antidote to seeing excesses in the opposite direction where faces are electronically optimized and skin smoothed to perfection. I see Lucien as a painting sketcher who seems to leave behind the surface detail to render the geographic units from which forms are made.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
No comments here to date might be partly because he never was hip with the generation that fell for digital cameras! So here's the challenge. Find a picture of Lucian Freud that impresses you and post/link here. So here's my kick off choice:

Look at the discussion here To me Lucien's wosk is grotesque in a sympathetic way. It's the antidote to seeing excesses in the opposite direction where faces are electronically optimized and skin smoothed to perfection. I see Lucien as a painting sketcher who seems to leave behind the surface detail to render the geographic units from which forms are made.

Asher
Asher,

what a task - better to post a few of his works - and what he tried to do in his own words -

'I want paint to work as flesh... I have always had a scorn for 'la belle peinture' and 'la delicatesse des touches'. I know my idea of portraiture came from dissatisfaction with portraits that resembled people. I would wish my portraits to be of the people, not like them. Not having a look of the sitter, being them. I didn't want to get just a likeness like a mimic, but to portray them, like an actor. As far as I am concerned the paint is the person. I want it to work for me just as flesh does' (Freud, quoted in L. Gowing, Lucian Freud, London, 1982, pp. 190-91).

I feel similar in the sense that photography seems to have fallen for the image - the likeness.

the unfinished images - the surface - breaking the smooth sheen of paint - using texture to recall in ones mind the feeling of skin - this guy could paint/draw/think.

lucien freud - reflection1
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:31 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Mark,

Thanks for adding Lucien's own words. That explains to me his apparent aversion to the perfect appearance of made up models. I have an advantage, because of prior ignorance, to have at least thought about his work before knowing his thoughts. I'm delighted that I am at least on the right track to understanding his motivations. I will have to study more to appreciate his work more fully as no doubt you do already.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.