Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old March 9th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Inactive

Default Prof. Harald Mante aka Color Harry: THE PHOTOGRAPH

Sometimes it happens that we coincidently run into some extraordinary people in our life, such happened to me when I made a contact to Prof. Mante and started to learn about his work.

He shared his expert knowledge in fine art and photodesign as a lecturer with countless students for many decades and continues to conduct courses at the European Art Academy and on other venues.

Born in Berlin in 1936, Harald Mante studied graphic design and painting at the Werkkunstschule in Wiesbaden. He taught Photographic Design at Dortmund Polytechnic and at the European Art Academy in Trier, as well as many seminars and workshops.

Professor Mante has authored numerous art books and textbooks. His photographic work has been exhibited in museums and private collections world-wide, and his books and calendars have become collector's items.

It is a great pleasure for me to let you know that his important work DAS FOTO, is published now in english under the same title THE PHOTOGRAPH and available at Rocky Nook.

Currently he is plastering walls and varnishing doors in their new studio/gallery with his partner, the Sculpturist and Photodesigner Eva Witter. When I spoke with him today and asked him about the secret of his vitality he mentioned something about earl grey tea, but I am not sure whether I want to know this, as I am more inclined to the bordeaux version of long life elixir, a Grand Cru St. Emilion. <smile>

Highly recommended:

http://www.rockynook.com/books/1-933952-26-1.html

Last edited by Georg R. Baumann; March 9th, 2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old March 9th, 2008, 05:15 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

I looked it up amd it's not available yet on Amazon. Is it out?

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old March 9th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Inactive

Looks like 15th of March.

http://www.amazon.com/Photograph-Com...5107489&sr=8-1
Old March 9th, 2008, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the recommendation Georg,
I decided to buy it.
Eric
Old March 10th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Inactive

Hi Eric,

I think you will find a strong Bauhaus Tradition in his work. He studied painting with Vincent Weber, who was a Kandinsky student, and later subconseqeuntly applied Kandinsky's geometric analysis point/line/plane in his teachings on photography.