• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

ISO 800 - Sinar eMotion 75 sample

Dear all,

I have taken an image with my Sinar eMotion 75 digital back, at ISO 800, for the purpose to show the new quality reached by this back. The shot has been taken in the early early morning time, during sunrise.
The result is an image, at ISO 800, purposely slightly under-exposed and chosen due to its high-contrast, with deep shadows and very strong high-lights, as well as mid-tones.

Shooting data:

- Camera: Sinar Hy6
- Lens: Zeiss Planar 110mm/f2
- ISO 800
- Aperture: f5.6
- Exposure: 1/40

In the following screenshots it does show first the image as shot, when the DNG is opened in ACR, WITHOUT grey balance, then opened in PS without any correction:

1.png

The following screenshot shows the image after a grey balance in PS:

1b.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The next screenshots show 100% details of this image, with the respective R, G & B channels at 100% (Pic 5 to 16) = 3 different details (shadows, highlights & mid-tones):

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

Finally, the last image is a finished JPG file, to give a better idea than the attached screenshots:

31.jpg

Please note:

“Adobe RGB 98” is the used colour space
No White Balance set during shooting
No noise reduction is applied during DNG conversion: this is done in ACR with a “Color NR” of 25
The image is processed in the Brumbaer “eMotion DNG Converter” with the default “Color Matrix” D55 (Daylight): this is a default daylight 5’500K colour balance
White Balance set in ACR, as well as some Contrast, Exposure/Brightness and Color Corrections have been made in ACR and PS, eventually USM was applied

Best regards,
Thierry

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Wow! Thierry

Allow us sometimes to read, look, examine, and ingest all before posting!

Good and interesting work to say the least !

Theodore Diehl

Thanks Thierry!

Hello Thierry,
As usual for Sinar, pretty amazing stuff!
And i understand why you are using the 110/2.0 so much now as well :)
Best regards,
Theo

hi Georg,

the DNGs produced are opened in 8 bit files to reduce the image size. It does not make much sense for this test to use it in 16 bit.

Best regards,
Thierry

Addendum: when reading again my post, I realized that it did not show my whole text

....flippin ISO 800.... <gulp>

Thanks Thierry!

I was wondering why you chose to open the files as 8 bit instead of 16 bit in PS.

Last edited:
I have taken an image with my Sinar eMotion 75 digital back, at ISO 800, for the purpose to show the new quality reached by this back.

Hi Thierry,

Thanks for showing this ISO 800 result.

Just to make sure I understand, is this a new hardware or firmware solution towards noise reduction of the eMotion 75 digital back?

Bart

The eMotion 75 has a new internal electronic sensor board.

Thierry, thanks for that info (I see it's also mentioned here). I hope Nicolas gets a chance to test that in his practice of being 'shaken and stirred' in a helicopter or chase boat.

I'm also wondering what the options are to use a Hy6 with Sinar back on a windows platform. It looks like if I would want to rent a back (somewhere), I'd also have to rent a Mac to run Exposure (or is there a Windows version).

Bart

nicolas claris

Hi Bart
Though I don't have the answer to your 2nd sentence, let me tell you that I fully agree with the 1st one!

Just to get Georg a bit more jealous! (if more is possible…)

PS AFAIK, there is no Windows software for the Sinar eMotion backs.

nicolas claris

Bart,

the Windows version is in preparation and released begin of July.

Thierry

Edited for Addendum: the Windows version will be a FULL version, with ALL and the SAME functions as the Mac OS version.

I'm also wondering what the options are to use a Hy6 with Sinar back on a windows platform. It looks like if I would want to rent a back (somewhere), I'd also have to rent a Mac to run Exposure (or is there a Windows version).

Bart

Last edited:
An important precision, concerning this ISO 800 image:

It is currently summer in Thailand and temperatures do no drop under 30°C during the night! Yes, you read correctly, 30°C during night.

In other words, this image has been shot in the early morning hours and my thermometer indicated 31°C during time of shooting.

This cannot be much worse concerning noise.

Thierry

An important precision, concerning this ISO 800 image:

It is currently summer in Thailand and temperatures do no drop under 30°C during the night! Yes, you read correctly, 30°C during night.

In other words, this image has been shot in the early morning hours and my thermometer indicated 31°C during time of shooting.

This cannot be much worse concerning noise.

Thierry

Yeah well, but what you did not show us here was the phletora of 60 beautiful Thai women surrounding you, armed with large fans and cooling the space around you down to 18 degrees. :)

Seriously though, this is an amazing achievement! Honestly Thierry, when you started posting this ISO 800 thread, initially I thought you are taking the mickey on us, I did NOT believe it at first, which was irritating to say the least, because I could not imagine you to do that from a professional point of view. :)

Boy would I love to be a fly on the wall and look into DALSA and JENA R&D departments when they are brainstorming on the future of Sinar and the LVeMotion.

Yeah well, but what you did not show us here was the phletora of 60 beautiful Thai women surrounding you, armed with large fans and cooling the space around you down to 18 degrees. :)

Daily, Georg, they are daily queuing in front of my house door to be able to "fan" and "cool" me down: that's the nice part of Thailand. And you know what, it does even help to reduce the noise produced by the digital back!

Seriously though, this is an amazing achievement! Honestly Thierry, when you started posting this ISO 800 thread, initially I thought you are taking the mickey on us, I did NOT believe it at first, which was irritating to say the least, because I could not imagine you to do that from a professional point of view. :)

I would not allow myself to do something like this. Simply a bit "fedup" by all the assumptions that dslr cameras are so much better than MFDBs concerning high-ISO image quality. When one knows how to do it, then it does the job as well.

Thanks and kind regards,
Thierry

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nicolas,

Given your experience with the Sinar Hy6 and e75 back, could you summarize you impression as carefully as you can as there are a lot of frames and little text.

What if anything is new to you and what are the take-home lessons. From the aspect of a Canon DSLR user it is fine but how remarkable. You have the 1DsIII as well. So your perspective will be helpful.

Thanks Thierry for sharing!

Asher

nicolas claris

Asher
wha you ask is really important and I need time, cause I want to give the most possible pertinent answer…
I also would like to have used the new Sinarback emotion 75 LV which is on it's way from the factory…

But I'll do, I promise!

Ben Dearnley

Thierry, would it be possible to see some long exposure tests of the e75LV at a few different ISOs? Say 15 and 30 seconds at 100 - 800 ISO? I was shooting some long exposures architecture yesterday with my Eyelike Precision 22mpx back, and I was seeing increasing noise after only 4 seconds. Just wondered if the eMotion was as good at long exposures as it is at high iso ones.

Sorry to give you more work!
Ben

Dear Ben,

I have already been asked this by others. Unfortunately I will have time to do such only by mid of July! I am quite busy with travels until then, and my demo unit is used by a friend of mine in Bangkok (BTW: thanks for this "re-minder": I had forgotten to tell my wife to open him my office that my friend can take the camera this afternoon!).

I will try therefore, but need definitively some time.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry, would it be possible to see some long exposure tests of the e75LV at a few different ISOs? Say 15 and 30 seconds at 100 - 800 ISO? I was shooting some long exposures architecture yesterday with my Eyelike Precision 22mpx back, and I was seeing increasing noise after only 4 seconds. Just wondered if the eMotion was as good at long exposures as it is at high iso ones.

Sorry to give you more work!
Ben