• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

More neutral than almost all other gray cards

Drew Strickland

Compared to doing what?

If I want to make the whole image a little cooler, I just push the color temperature slider over a little, whereas with the ColorRight MAX - no wait, I can't use that to make the whole image a little cooler.

Sorry, I lost my head.

Well, most people are likely to want their skin a little redder anyway.

Best regards,

Doug

Nice baiting questions there, counselor.

I'm sure you know "red" is the primary enemy of good skin tone, and this tool works to overcome that.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Drew,

So, as you can easily see. For the BS solution to win one would have to assign a value of essentially 0 to both ease of use and speed.

Especially since your weighting coefficients for the MS solution add up to 278 but for the BS solution to 100.

You did mention once that statistics was a specialty of yours, didn't you?

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Drew,

Nice baiting questions there, counselor.

I'm sure you know "red" is the primary enemy of good skin tone, and this tool works to overcome that.

By shifting the chromaticity of the entire image in the red direction? The "hair of the dog that bit you" approach, no doubt.

Or are you speaking of red in the incident illumination being given more emphasis in WB measurement than in actual image recording, leading to an "ideally corrected" image in which skin tones are too bluish?

Best regards,

Doug

Drew Strickland

Hi, Drew,

Especially since your weighting coefficients for the MS solution add up to 278 but for the BS solution to 100.

You did mention once that statistics was a specialty of yours, didn't you?

Best regards,

Doug

Yes, Doug.

It is all in how you define the problem. That's the point.

The BS position is that S(peed) and E(ease of use) don't exist, or at the very least, don't matter.

Doug Kerr

What ratings! Call Nielsen!

Wow! Over 1000 views. That's more people than watched Ralph Nader interviewed by Charlie Gibson.

Best regards,

Doug

Drew Strickland

Wow! Over 1000 views. That's more people than watched Ralph Nader interviewed by Charlie Gibson.

Best regards,

Doug

Yeah, you'd think I'd be smart enough to spend this much time on this over at pph where there might be some ratings benefit for the operator of that site.

Drew Strickland

By shifting the chromaticity of the entire image in the red direction? The "hair of the dog that bit you" approach, no doubt.

Or are you speaking of red in the incident illumination being given more emphasis in WB measurement than in actual image recording, leading to an "ideally corrected" image in which skin tones are too bluish?

Best regards,

Doug

Neither.

You're still thinking in the wrong numbers.

Forget about RGB and try CMYK on for size.

We are not adding red, or magenta most of the time.

Is that enough for you?

Drew Strickland

The goal is pleasing. Not accurate.

This entire thread has been an indictment of the notion of "neutral."

Not that neutral doesn't have its place. Just not usually when it comes to skin tones.

Drew Strickland

Here is a snippet of someone discussing the basic CMY "By the Numbers" method. This tool is only loosely based on these concepts, however, it might perhaps provide a better understanding of what makes up "pleasing" skin tone.

Ok here comes the long post. Sorry folks!

So I told you what the the CMY values should be in the previous post--approximately--to print pleasingly.

See, I don't actually care what they are in some colorimetrically correct universe, since my eyes actually accomodate for colour in different light. Cameras don't.

And all those people are more similar than different when it comes to CMY values! It's not magic. It's that what you consider at "one end of the scale" and what you consider "at the other end" are actually very very close together in terms of how we see them, and how they're described in CMY terms

People actually do have skin that is, in essence, brown, and that *is* a predictable ratio of CMY values. It's not blue, red or green; it's not more cyan than magenta!

So for each and every one of those shots, for a upper midtone illumination of the skin (not makeup, not a shadow), the basic CMY recipe for caucasian adults is:

(Y)ellow should be higher than (m)agenta which is higher than
(c)yan. Further, cyan shouldn't be more than 50% of magenta nor less than 20% of magenta.

Now, that's the basics. African skin typically has more magenta and cyan in relation to yellow. Caucasian skinned kids under 15 or so have almost equal magenta to yellow. Asian skin typically has a higher yellow saturation in relation to magenta.

There's lots more, but once you understand the recipe, you get much better results overall, because we're all more similar than you might think.

As a caveat, let me say two more things.

First, there are plenty--plenty--of things that can change this recipe in lots of ways. Makeup for one, so you need to see some skin that isn't made up too badly. Goth makeup changes things a lot You also mentioned some more of them. But remember--accuracy is silly; I'm going for pleasing printed colour

And things like sunset or spotlights or suntans or rosacea all change someone's skin tone. When they're dead, for example, they're literally cyanotic: which is why you usually don't want overly cyan skin tones

But only you can decide if you want to correct these variants "out" or not.

But as Dan Margulis says, he can get better final color corrections from color blind people doing this "by the numbers" than he ever does from people doing it "by eye"...

Look here to get started:
http://www.smugmug.com/help/skin-tone

And if you want the full color correction discourse on this, read these. You're going to be surprised, and delighted:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/047004733X/nmphotonet-20

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Photoshop-Classic-Guide
Correction/dp/032144017X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212157739&sr= 8-1

Doug Kerr

Hi, Drew,

The goal is pleasing. Not accurate.

This entire thread has been an indictment of the notion of "neutral."

It always worked well for Switzerland. But I rarely use it on my Maxima.

Not that neutral doesn't have its place. Just not usually when it comes to skin tones.

I don't understand. What would a "neutral" skin tone be?

Or are you speaking of a neutral target used for white balance color correction, and the corrected skin tones that result from the use of that?

Is the "conclusion" that almost always a color correction shifted from the theoretical one (in the red-yellow direction) will produce "more pleasing" skin tone rendition?

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Two ol' country boys set out on foot to hunt some rabbit, but there were none to be found, so they headed home early, empty-handed.

On the way, one of them spotted a raccoon's nest in a tree, and he could see little raccoon eyes peering over the edge. "I'm gonna get one of those baby 'coons", he said, "and take him home for my baby brother to play with."

He set down his rifle and shinnied up the tree. Just as he was about to reach into the nest from his temporary perch on a branch, the father raccoon showed up, and he was a big one. He jumped on the guy and a terrible battle ensued.

"Shoot 'im", he screamed to his buddy on the ground.

"I cain't get a clear shot", was the reply.

"Then fire amongst us. One of us has got to get some relief".

So in that vein I retire, for the moment, from this battle of wits (or fractions thereof). I have to go over to the county Democratic Party office and pick up a couple of Hussein signs that at the crack of dawn tomorrow I'll post 101 feet from our precinct polling station.

Now here, accuracy counts.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Drew,

Here is a snippet of someone discussing the basic CMY "By the Numbers" method. This tool is only loosely based on these concepts, however, it might perhaps provide a better understanding of what makes up "pleasing" skin tone.

That's very interesting, and very helpful. Pretty scientific, actually.

Whose essay is that?

In any case, thanks for making it available.

A final comment (consistent with what that piece says, in fact). People wonder what "brown" is from a colorimetric standpoint. Well, broadly speaking, it is more-or-less yellow, of a rather low luminance (or low reflectance, if we're speaking of reflective color).

Best regards,

Doug

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
1000 views? All me as I read through this stuff again and again and again and I still don't understand a word of it!

Me and math never really got on.... :D

Doug Kerr

Improving skin tone

Hi, Drew,

Wow! That essay is really useful.

I went to the actual SmugMug piece. It is very enlightening. I suggest that everyone here read it.

Of course the whole matter is sort of complicated, but I get from the discussion these "often-appropriate" guidelines:

1. One key phrase is: "90% of all skin tone complaints come from magenta values being higher than yellow."

The author talks about correcting that. Of course, this process doesn't directly involve change to the Cyan channel. Thus (in the RGB perspective), it does not involve the Red channel.

To me, that says that a change made to overcome this "problem" don't involve shift of the image chromaticity in the Red direction (or the opposite direction).

2. The next point is that the next-most common problem is a wrong Cyan level (of course; that's all that's left!).

The author mainly gives examples of shots in which there is a need to increase the Cyan coordinate. In one example, "Kim is bound to think she looks too pale and too pink." The solution is to increase the Cyan coordinate.

Of course increasing the Cyan coordinate in the CMY color model is identical to decreasing the Red coordinate in the RGB model.

So evidently, what we often need to do to correct this aspect of a skin color problem is to shift the image away from the Red direction. When working in an RGB model, this means motion in the Cyan direction (even though Cyan is not a primary color in the RGB model).

Now, suppose I had some gadget (An offset color target) that would allow me to conveniently move overall image chromaticity in the Red direction while I was doing "white balance" color correction with the eyedropper. This would be, it is said, more convenient than, say, working with the editor color controls.

Well, it doesn't look like I could use it to do any of the things the SmugMug author says would be most likely needed to deal with skin color problems.

Well, that's good to know.

Best regards,

Doug

So evidently, what we often need to do to correct this aspect of a skin color problem is to shift the image away from the Red direction. When working in an RGB model, this means motion in the Cyan direction (even though Cyan is not a primary color in the RGB model).

Which would happen(?) to correspond to the correction that I applied in my example of skinColor Balance correction (on top of a WB correction). The exact correction that was applied (for my specific camera, a 1Ds3) was 15 Cyan (minus Red) and 6 Blue ...

Bart

Drew Strickland

Wow! That essay is really useful.

I went to the actual SmugMug piece. It is very enlightening. I suggest that everyone here read it.

Glad you see the value in the science behind the tool, finally.

Well, it doesn't look like I could use it to do any of the things the SmugMug author says would be most likely needed to deal with skin color problems.

Well, that's good to know.

Best regards,

Doug

You may want to look again, and actually test one.

Here is a recent exchange I had with the gentleman who wrote the above piece you enjoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorRight View Post
Hi Peter and Jamie,

Just curious if you were able to use the MAX on any of your jobs?
How did it go for you the first time out, Jamie?
Hey Drew--

It went very well, I think. I'm just waiting to add a wedding to the mix on Saturday then I'll do more of a real review (IOW with pictures ) . I've got quite a wide range of skin tones too.

I will say that even from the engagement shoots, I'm really very impressed with how easily the ColorRight Max gets me to the CMYK ratios I'm looking for, even with "mixed skin" types, which is always a challenge.

On the engagement shoots I've been shooting with the ColorRight Max, I've had a mix of Caucasian skin types, but also African Canadian and Southeast Asian too. In each case, once I had adjusted for density, the ColorRight dialled in the skin tone, or so close to it that it's a lot less work to get right.

I do think that at a wedding the flash illumination might be changing a lot, and that might affect color (and the ability to use the device quickly), so that's the last test.

More later, but so far it's very impressive!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Drew,

Glad you see the value in the science behind the tool, finally.

Well, to me, it didn't seem to be behind this tool at all - just the opposite.

The author's overall theme is in fact consistent with your recent comment that "'red' is the primary enemy of good skin tone".

That's why I'm surprised that the ColorRight MAX apparently only allows shifting the chromaticity of the image in the Yellow-Red direction.

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Drew Strickland

If you want to get a little clearer on the details get the books linked above.

Chapter 4 of "skin" by Lee Varis is especially useful. If you like to "roll your own" curves, he lays it out in detail for you. Chapter 3 of Professional Photoshop by Dan Margulis will provide even more background.

Of course, none of this changes the basic equations I provided above.

For (S)peed and (E)ase of Use you will find the ColorRight MAX to be an invaluable tool for getting you to your destination of proper CMYK ratios.

Drew Strickland

1000 views? All me as I read through this stuff again and again and again and I still don't understand a word of it!

Me and math never really got on.... :D

Sorry, Ben. I tried to keep it less technical. That really is the whole point of the tool.

To provide 98% of the benefit with 1/10th the work.

In reality, I think the purists should embrace these tools as providing a gateway for people to understand what their cameras and software are truly capable of.

The more people that see what is possible, the more likely it is that will be willing to spend more time on a few images that really may benefit from the "perfect or else" approach.

Drew Strickland

Hi, Drew,

I particularly like the way it can fix up problems in "K".

Best regards,

Doug

Hey, don't poke fun at "Special K."

From Margulis in Professional Photoshop.

"It would be a sad world if we had to print without black ink."

and

"In RGB, all colors are unique; they can be created in only one way. CMYK usually offers many different possible formulations."

and

"Black expands our gamut."

Drew Strickland

Yep, but such is life, compromises are inevitable.

I think Bart has nailed it here. When variables such as (S)peed and (E)ase of Use matter, even just a little bit, a tool made to improve the process is in order.

When (Q)uality is of absolute paramount importance and time is of little to no essence, then the extra 2% you may get out of a local correction may be worth it.

e.g., a competition or museum piece.

They both have their place and I will be happy to spread the long form scientific knowledge along with the short form tool.

Last edited:

Drew Strickland

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

I guess a system of finding out how to measure CMY values in an image.

Below are two samples.

The first shows representative CMY ratio values when using a neutral wb rendering.

The second shows the CMY ratios when clicking MAX patch #4.

neutralpatch.jpg

patch4.jpg

This one of the raw images available for download earlier in the thread.

Drew Strickland

Hey Bart,

Sorry about the whole BS thing. I didn't realize it would come across that way when I was first thinking up the equation, seriously.

But, then I just ran with it. Not very "charitable." Sorry.

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Of course, none of this changes the basic equations I provided above.

Drew! You might want to refrain from using above to refer to an earlier post since not all users display older posts first. I always use most recent first so when you do you are referring to a post that may not yet exist!

Cem_Usakligil

Hey Bart,

Sorry about the whole BS thing. I didn't realize it would come across that way when I was first thinking up the equation, seriously.

But, then I just ran with it. Not very "charitable." Sorry.
Hi Drew,

Not having read the posts since yesterday, my first thought here was that you were referring to male bovine excrement when you wrote BS. In case somebody else might the same mistake as I did, here in full ;-):

BS = Bart's Solution

Cheers,

Doug Kerr

Hi, Drew,

I had asked, "What am I missing". Your reply was:

I guess a system of finding out how to measure CMY values in an image.

No, that's not what I am missing. (But thanks for showing me how to do it.)

Let me encapsulate the paradox I referred to:

1. The SmugMug article suggests that often, to attain a "pleasing" skin tone, we will need to increase the Cyan coordinate of the skin color description (which directly corresponds to a reduction in the Red coordinate if we think of the corresponding RGB representation). (I assume K is 0 here.)

2. You have said that "Red is the enemy of nice skin tone" (I paraphrase).

These two admittedly-broad generalizations seem to fit together.

Now a derived point:

3. Therefore, in "improving" skin tones, we will most often need to increase the Cyan coordinate (that is, decrease the Red coordinate).

Now the tricky one:

4. By using a non-neutral patch of the ColorRight MAX as the reference when doing white balance color correction, we can shift the chromaticity of all scene colors in the Yellow-Red direction (only).

Now, I ask again: What am I missing?

Now, regarding your examples of applying an "adjustment" to the image of Melissa, we note that using a "Patch 4" shift, the C coordinate is indeed decreased (not increased, as common wisdom suggests), and of course the R coordinate is increased (not much of a victory over the "enemy" you mention).

But the shift does make M less than Y, which we also hear it should be for a pleasing result. And certainly the result in the example is pleasing.

But it doesn't fit the simplistic aphorisms about Cyan and Red.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited: