Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old October 28th, 2008, 11:20 AM
pro member

Default Dutch National Archive is online

Hi folks,

It's through the addition of a collection of the Dutch National Archive that I've become aware of a very interesting section of the Flickr sites, called the commons.

Lot's of interesting photography to be seen there.

The Dutch photo's are also an invitation to add comments by those who can still provide some more background information before it's lost forever. They are also currently showing some of the turbulent periods in the 20th century, like WWII, and the colonial army (KNIL) in Indonesia.

The Labour Inspectorate collection shows how work conditions were in the 1900-1955 period in a number of national industries. Things have improved since ...

Enjoy browsing the collections,
Bart
Old October 29th, 2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_van_der_Wolf View Post
Hi folks,

It's through the addition of a collection of the Dutch National Archive that I've become aware of a very interesting section of the Flickr sites, called the commons.

Lot's of interesting photography to be seen there.

The Dutch photo's are also an invitation to add comments by those who can still provide some more background information before it's lost forever. They are also currently showing some of the turbulent periods in the 20th century, like WWII, and the colonial army (KNIL) in Indonesia.

The Labour Inspectorate collection shows how work conditions were in the 1900-1955 period in a number of national industries. Things have improved since ...

Enjoy browsing the collections,
Bart
Bart hi,

As a fellow dutchman it is great to indeed see some of those turbulent periods of (Western) European history on line.... especially those sobering shots of what living under german occupation meant in the Netherlands for people's every day lives, like for the ones that didn't suffer under the extremes of deportation to the camps...WWII had many faces. Being the son of a jewish father and a jewish mother that survived Bergen Belsen, it is striking to see that there were other "faces" to that war, than the ones in the concentration camps... I find it hard to find a proper adjective for the faces of the people in the camps, in photos that most of us have seen, photos which in my humble opinion are hardly able to convey the suffering that took place there.

Again, it is good to see these collections of pictures, many of them by the "Spaarnestad" photo news agency in the Dutch N. Archive, that for me form a counter balance to the extreme documentary photo's I mentioned in my earlier paragraph.

It also answers my own question that I ask myself sometimes when I wake up in the morning, why I did choose a style of photography with much color and life in it...

Rene-F Granaada