• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photo from my "Native American Grandmothers" series

Rene F Granaada

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate you opinion on this photo of Emma Yazzie - "Still Fighting", which I shot several years ago in Fruitland NM of this then 94 old Navaho lady living next to the local Navajo power plant.
The theme of the series (only a few of the photos are on my site at present) is:

"Portraits of Native American grandmothers, strong women, with pride in their origins"... "Faces that show their history, people portraits of the history of North America".

Rene-F. Granaada

GMSmstck_.jpg

I would appreciate you opinion on this photo of Emma Yazzie - "Still Fighting", which I shot several years ago in Fruitland NM of this then 94 old Navaho lady living next to the local Navajo power plant.

Hallo Rene,

I like this portrait of a strong personality against the backdrop of modernity. Her clothing also expresses a modern/contemporary look, despite age. She must be young at heart.

The only detraction, to me, is the apparently slightly non-level horizon/verticals in the background.

Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
René,

Emma Yazzie is impressive and resilient for all her years and the weathered skin she shows as witness to her outdoor life. She has seen almost a century of hopes and promised bargains and failures and good things too as her people administer their land and face extinction or at least severe threat to the remnants of their ancient culture. The smoke of the power plant behind her is an important compositional facto in creating first form al balance with her figure and in addition it suggest as dialog between the distant past and the forced requirement for industrialization of their bargain with pure mother earth and the clear sky. This is a significant and valuable portrait. I'm looking forward for more and to get access to the narratives.

The curve of the landscape horizon, I agree is too fundamental a reference line to be readily acceptable. They'd have to be a strong reason for it. Likely correcting that would make the picture more effective. Are you certain that the hard dark rock color of her face is either honest or desirable. I have seen this on several computers but not my calibrated screen so if others don't see it, no worry!

I looked at this in B&W too and for the the tone of the face appears far too dark and empty of detail.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

...Emma Yazzie is impressive and resilient for all her years and the weathered skin she shows as witness to her outdoor life. She has seen almost a century of hopes and promised bargains and failures and good things too as her people administer their land and face extinction or at least severe threat to the remnants of their ancient culture. The smoke of the power plant behind her is an important compositional facto in creating first form al balance with her figure and in addition it suggest as dialog between the distant past and the forced requirement for industrialization of their bargain with pure mother earth and the clear sky. This is a significant and valuable portrait. I'm looking forward for more and to get access to the narratives....
Hi Rene,

Asher has eloquently expressed what I felt about the picture myself. So I won't dwell on that part.

I like the picture, it grabs my attention and does not let go. I keep on wondering what she must have gone through in her lifetime. She seems to be angry and tired, but still full of pride. This is a great portrait. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,